Thursday, October 20, 2022

Blogtober - Day Twenty

I've recenly slowed down a bit on reading and I've just realised I haven't updated my reading list for a while.  Something I must do.  I've had reserved books at the library for ages and I'm still quite high in the queue for two of them so I've been relying on the library loan e-books Cloud Library which sometimes doesn't have books I really want to read.  I tend to stick to writers I'm familiar with but occasionally if the 'blurb' sounds like something I'd enjoy I give a new writer a go.  Consequently I have two books by new to me authors on my kindle.  They are The Museum of Ordinary People by Mike Gayle and The Last Supper by Rosemary Shrager.

Two of my most recent reads have been the latest Vera Stanhope novel The Rising Tide by Ann Cleeves and Marple a book of short stories, all featuring Miss Marple, by crime writers like Val McDermid, Elly Griffiths and Lucy Foley.  The stories introduced me to another writer called Ruth Ware.  I borrowed two of her books from the Cloud Library.  I've read one and am halfway through the second.  Both took a while to get into but after a while I found they were hard to put down.

I also have on my Kindle two non fiction books Finding Richard III edited by A J Carson and Foxes Unearthed by Lucy Jones. I'm dipping into both occasionally as I read the other books.

What are you enjoying reading at the moment?  Do you have a favourite genre of books? Can you read more than one book at a time, say a fiction and non-fiction book?  I don't think I could read two fiction books at the same time without getting confused but I can swap between fiction and non fiction quite easily.
 
We woke up to a very misty morning and it took a time for the bottom of our side of the Crescent to appear.  Now it is raining and everything seems very dull and grey both inside and out.  Just the kind of day for curling up with a good book.

12 comments:

  1. You have been given me again ideas for new authors to try - thank you :) The Richard III Book looks good to me. I think I am behind on Ann Cleeves books. I rarely read two fiction at same time but will read a fiction and one or more non fiction books at the same time.

    I have in recent years got into crime fiction as you know. Non fiction wise I am reading Where Wild Flower Grow by Lief Bersweden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you RR. I've read the first four chapters of the Richard book it takes time as it is so detailed. I haven't started the Fox one yet. Ann Cleeves is one of my favourite authors along with Elly Griffiths and Kate Ellis. Also Ian Rankin and Val McDermid. Your non fiction book sounds interesting:)

      Delete
  2. I really wish I could read more but I seem to be constantly distracted. The best time for me to read is before I go to sleep. I am currently reading The Painted Leopard by Peter Greaves. It has some outdated language in it and would probably have a warning on the front if it was in a public place! I am also dipping in and out of History of Western Philosophy, Atlantis The Antediluvian World and White Mughals. They are all pretty heavy to read and understand and a bit of a challenge for my fuzzy brain! I don't tend to read much fiction nowadays. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your reading sounds fascinating, Simone as well as being a challenge. I'm not surprised you get distracted making your lovely works of art and doing the little videos to show us all how you work on a project:)

      Delete
  3. There hasn't been anything particularly eye catching at the library lately but I've just finished The Gardener by Salley Vickers and today I picked up the new Booker winner by chance to give that a go. Enjoy your books. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel that too about the library, the books I want to read are the ones I'm in a queue for and I'm looking for others to read whilst I'm waiting. I haven't seen much about the Booker Prize this year but I gather it was won by an author from Sri Lanka. Hope you too enjoy your reading:)

      Delete
  4. I tend to read authors that I've read and enjoyed before either crime/mystery series where the characters develop over time. My other choice of genre is historical fiction. I like to dip into non fiction books to get a better knowledge of an historical period. I'm thankful that I can try out new authors by reserving them from the library although sometimes I have to wait until a new publication that's popular becomes available. Today we're experiencing heavy rain showers and so very different from the sunny days at the beginning of the week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to read a lot of historical fiction especially when I was younger and still occasionally read one especially if it is a crime novel too. I think it was reading Dorothy L Sayers and then P D James that drew me towards crime fiction. Hope today isn't so rainy for you, it's sort of quiet and grey here this morning:)

      Delete
  5. I read so little these days, well since DH retired, but was very avid reader when younger. I do dip in and out of non=fiction books about gardening, travel & quite a few other bits. I'll admit to having to keep my hands busy, but my DH reads a lot during the colder months. Looking like rain here today with it forecast for the next week. Ooh........as I write this I can hear one of my butcher birds singing outside. Take care & hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like Simone (above) your are busy creating your beautiful quilts so less time to read. I too read more avidly when I was younger and always had a book with me especially when travelling to school and then work. I'm going to see if I can find the call of the butcher bird so I can share it with you:)

      Delete
  6. I'll have to look up that book on Richard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm enjoying it in small bits at a time:)

      Delete