Sunday, October 09, 2022

Blogtober - Day Nine

It was such a lovely day yesterday.  It felt warmer again and the sun seemed to shine for ages.  We shopped early, the washing dried outside and we chatted with friends in the afternoon.  By the time I was washing the dinner pots at the sink a little after 6.30p.m. the light outside was fading fast.  

As darkness fell we spotted two bats over the garden.  We hadn't seen any for ages.  They looked quite large and one flew close to the conservatory before heading off over the hedges and fences.

Paul went to fetch his bat detector which told him, from the noises it picked up, that there were two brown long eared bats circling the garden and flitting over the tree tops.

The warmth of the day must have brought insects out for them to feed on. 

It was wonderful to see them.

14 comments:

  1. Great news about bats returning. We get one here sometimes too. I would love a bat detector I really would as we've used them in the past on bat walks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great to see them quite low over the garden. I bought the bat detector for Paul as a birthday present about three years ago from the RSPB shop on line:)

      Delete
    2. I did some research Rosie as I know my son would love one too as well as me. Interestingly RSPB shop is much cheaper for it than Amazon.

      Delete
    3. I think the one like ours is around £70 now at the RSPB, gone up a little but still reasonable against the others. Your son would be able to use it at home and at your caravan and see the difference in the types of bats in each area. We hoped to take it on holiday with us but of course covid and then my illness meant we've hardly been anywhere for three summers now. Perhaps next year?:)

      Delete
  2. You really do have an amazing selection of wildlife in your area. Glad the bats are back. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We used to have more bats, mostly brown long eared and pipistrelles. I've no idea where their roost is around here, perhaps they travel for miles. I need to find out much more about them:)

      Delete
  3. I haven't spotted any here yet, glad they are well and thriving in your area. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good to see those two after a dearth of them on summer evenings:)

      Delete
  4. Lovely & I've not seen one for years, although playing tennis under lights many moons ago, we were all fascinated by the bats flying around them. Thanks for sharing & I'm loving your wildlife bits. Take care & hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan, glad you are enjoying reading about the wildlife. Hope to see some more on this morning's walk. Take care:)

      Delete
  5. The odd time I've seen them here. They are marvelous animals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are fascinating aren't they?

      Delete
  6. I have been away on holiday so am now enjoying catching up with you. How wonderful to have bats and foxes so close to you. It was nice to see where you have been out and about recently too and finding out about some of your family history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, glad you were able to catch up. I hope you have had a wonderful holiday:)

      Delete