Friday, October 21, 2022

Blogtober - Day Twenty one

 Shall we have a Five on Friday?  

Perhaps a bit of cheering colour is needed this week.

1. Spotted in the entrance to a supermarket

Eric Carle's Very Hungry Caterpillar in crochet.
 
  Very charming and colourful.
 

2.  Also very charming and colourful

This Robin stayed long enough for a photograph.  He was by the smaller lake at Westport Lakes where we walked earlier this week.  There were one or two Robins about but we still wait to see that bright blue flash of the Kingfisher.

3.  Halloween Displays

Seasonal displays at the farmshop and cafe in Hartington on our way back from Bakewell a week ago.
 
Halloween black cats decorate the fireplace.  The tables were trimmed with pumpkins or ghosts.  I didn't take photos of these as there were lots of people about enjoying a late lunch.
 
Pumpkins galore - everywhere. 
 
4.  Garden Visitors
 
A week ago I posted a photo of a bird on a barbed wire fence. We thought it may be a Meadow Pippit.   It was taken on Fenton Fields which is just two streets away from home.  Earlier this week this bird landed on the lawn.  I think it may be the same type of bird.  We've never seen one in the garden before but it could have decided to have a little adventure and vist some nearby gardens.
Edit 6.30p.m.  Thank you to Coastal Ripples and Ragged Robin who recognised the bird above as a Redwing.  First time I've known one visit our garden.
 
A lovely Red Admiral visited in between showers this morning.  It spent ages on the winter pansies in the hanging basket just outside the kitchen window.
 
 5. New Street Art
 
This small area at the bottom of the Strand just by Times Square and opposite the station has been turned into a memorial garden just in time for Armistice Day and Remembrance Sunday next month.

 We've driven by many times over the last few weeks on our way home and we've seen the work in progress. Often just one artist up a ladder.  A couple of weeks ago we noticed it had been opened up so we stopped to take photos.


13 comments:

  1. I think the bird is a red wing. We have quite a few in Jersey. A lovely colourful collection. Have a good weekend. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, now I look at the bird I can see the red mark but I handn't realised they were so small. I'm so pleased it visited. Hope you too have a lovely weekend:)

      Delete
  2. What a lovely post Rosie and so much colour. Love the Postbox Topper.
    The bird is a Redwing one of the winter thrushes that visit from Scandinavia etc to feast on our berries. I've heard they have have started arriving so a great garden sighting :)

    Lovely to see a Red Admiral too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you RR. I loved the postbox topper. Thanks re the bird, I can see the red mark near it's wing now you've pointed it out. I thought they were much bigger than the bird we saw more thrush sized - perhaps I'm thinking of fieldfares? So glad to see it even without realising what it was. A first for this garden I think:)

      Delete
  3. Five lovely things Rosie! I like the Eric Carle's crochet caterpillar post box topper! Did you know that his Very Hungary Caterpillar illustrations were collaged? I like the pumpkins especially the white ones and the stripy ones. Nice to see some new bird visitors and a late visiting butterfly. Hope you have a nice weekend. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I just wanted some cheerful colour what with the weather and the Westminster turmoil this week. I love to see the different pumpkins. I didn't know about the collages of the caterpillar. We have the book somewhere. It was lovely to see the Red Admiral in the garden:)

      Delete
  4. I love the post box toppers, they are a ray of sunshine and must take ages to make. We have some redwing back in the park at the moment, they are all in the same tree and chatter such a lot. It's good to see a different visitor in the garden. Have a good weekend. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen one or two toppers around but this was the best so far and easy to photograph too. It's lovely to see wildlife in the garden. Hope you too have a good weekend:)

      Delete
  5. A lovely lot of photos & very cheerful on a dull, wet morning here in Oz. The birds & butterfly are gorgeous and that letterbox topper would make anyone smile. A lot of work in that. Have a great weekend, take care & hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought we needed a bit of cheer at the moment. I'm always happy when birds and butterflies visit the garden. Showers here yesterday but it looks like it may be a better day today:)

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. He does look as if he is posing for the camera:)

      Delete
  7. 'The Very Hungry Caterpillar' was a favourit story here so I really like the postbox top. Happy memories.

    ReplyDelete