Monday, October 03, 2022

Blogtober Day Three

 A visit from Mr Fox.

He was stretching and yawning as I took the photo through the conservatory window.  I think he'd had a snooze on one of the raised beds.

It's unusual for this generation of foxes to visit in the day time.   For several years we had a fox family that would appear during the day.  A few years ago I was sitting in a lounger in the sunshine and I looked up and saw the vixen sitting watching me only an arm's length away.  She looked tired from feeding cubs and hungry too.  I stood up slowly and asked 'Are you hungry?' she retreated a little further away and sat and waited for me to fetch what was left of our cats' food.  By the time I'd taken a few steps away from the bowls I'd placed on the lawn she was eating. After that she settled under a tree and went to sleep. The last two years though have seen a change and the foxes are less trusting of us humans which can't be a bad thing.

16 comments:

  1. Lovely to have the fox visiting and super photo :) We used to have several many years ago and used to watch cubs playing on the lawn but these days I rarely see one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you,RR. We saw four foxes on our outside camera which we put out overnight, two badgers as well:)

      Delete
  2. You’re lucky to see foxes. No foxes or badgers in Jersey. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are lucky to see both, usually on the trail camera:)

      Delete
  3. I agree Rosie, they should be wary of humans and treated as wild animals. I would love to watch them in our garden though. I do know we have badgers as they keep digging up Hubby's lawn! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lyn, I always worry about the foxes. We get badgers too very rarely seen at all in the daytme, we see them on the trail camera we put out at night. One of the badgers, the female is completely grey. They take potatoes if we aren't careful, bulbs too:)

      Delete
  4. Lovely to see the fox & we still see them occasionally when out in the countryside, though they aren't really tolerated here due to them destroying our own small native wildlife, as in bandicoots, potteroos & bilbies after they were introduced. Wonder what tomorrow will bring? Take care & hugs..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the names of all your native animals, I've seen what a bandicoot looks like but must look the other two up, Take care:)

      Delete
  5. I like your fox and how close you were; we don't have foxes in our area and I always think they look very graceful and smart too. Since some fires in the nearby hills a couple years ago coyotes have found it is nice to move in to the town I live in, I also like coyotes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That one family of foxes did come closer to us than any of the others. They are very beauiful creatures:)

      Delete
  6. What a lovely post and a great photo! 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I was glad to get the photo as once they see you they become wary and then leave the garden:)

      Delete
  7. That is a great photo Rosie. Our foxes look nothing like yours! Foxes can be seen at all times of day or night around here. The other night I was woken up by the noise of one walking across the hedge at the front of the neighbour's house. They jump fences and sleep on garage roofs and are very street wise! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simone, the earlier fox family I mentioned used to walk along the fence and climb onto the garage roof but these ones don't have such an adventurous spirit:)

      Delete