Sunday, December 24, 2023

Just a Little Bit Festive

The weather has been awful these last few days, wind, rain and then wind and rain again.  We have managed a couple of local walks between raindrops but almost got blown away on one of them.  Many places were closed because of the high winds, incuding the Trentham lakeside walk.

We walked to the local park yesterday but I didn't take many photos so I thought I'd take some of a few of our favourite decorations which are here and there around the house.  

Cheerful Cards on the mantlepiece

Other festive items along the radiator shelf



The Christmas tree is a small one, rooted from the top of a larger tree.  It will go out in the garden early next year.
 
We have nurtured it over the last month since we bought it and now it is decorated with some of our favourite things and is in the conservatory rather than the living room. 
 

Favourite decorations include the mouse above from the Chatsworth Garden Centre. We took my step-sister shopping it was Christmas 2015.  She was registered deaf/blind so needed help with shopping. The next year she was diagnosed with dementia and has been cared for in a safe home ever since.

The newest decoration Fox in a Winter Jumper from Waitrose. As a lover of foxes I couldn't resist.

Hare from the Token House in Nottingham one of my favourite shops and one of my favourite animals.

Not sure where the bird house came from.  I wish I could remember.

I remember buying this cat in a car but can't remember where, most probably a garden centre.

A snowman crocheted by a dear friend.  She has been in hospital but is home now and we wish her well.  She also made the Gingerbread man below.
 

Well, I think that is all now.  I always feel slightly sad at this time of year as I remember Christmases past and those we shared them with.  So many awful things are happening in the world at the moment that it seems hard to be frivolous.  Cards are sent, telephone calls made and contacts made with 'absent friends and cousins dear' a favourite saying of one of my late cousins.
 
All for now.  I wish you all peace and joy and hope for the future. 

16 comments:

  1. Oh I do love that little fox!! Everything looks very cheery and festive. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jenn, glad the fox made you smile:)

      Delete
  2. Always lovely to have decorations with special memories of places, family and friends.
    Have a happy and peaceful Christmas x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beverley, hope you had a wonderful day:)

      Delete
  3. Hopefully this comment will appear.............lovely seasonal photos & like us, a quiet Xmas. Similar thoughts with all the mayhem in the world & even the weather is playing more like autumn/winter with rain overnight & still raining now. I have on a long sleeved top & although the wind has abated, we are supposed to have more of this weather over the next 3 days here in our part of Victoria. Have a lovely Xmas, take care & hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan, your comment did appear. Very quiet Christmas Day here long walk today. Hope the weather warms up for you soon, Hope you had a lovely day:)

      Delete
  4. Rosie, it is a poor old world for sure. I just do my best to brighten my corner of it. Somehow, that feels like all I can do these days. Sending my best wishes for peace and joy across the pond to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Granny Sue, it's the only thing we can do, concentrate on small things and our own loved ones. Best wishes to you for the New Year:)

      Delete
  5. Wishing you a Happy Christmas, enjoy all those lovely memories of dear family and friends, great places you have visited, that's what all the decorations on the tree are to me too. I like that little fox's jumper. good luck with the tree. My small one has come in from outside, my son sent it 3 years ago with its own baubles and a hat and scarf! It's grown steadily but the branches are a bit wonky! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you CK, I hope our tree is a successful as yours, wonky or not yours has great memories for you. The little fox is cute it will be a shame to put him away in a box until next year. Happy New Year:)

      Delete
  6. Rosie it all looks lovely. ❤️❤️Robert🐰

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Robert, much love to you both:)

      Delete
  7. Wishing you a Happy Christmas and a Happy and Healthy 2024 Rosie. I hope you have a lovely few days. There are some lovely Cmas decorations on display on the mantelpiece and tree. We have a real tree in a pot which we used to bring in to the porch and decorate just with tinsel and a few silver tiny balls. We do have a bigger fake tree which is full of so many old decorations - some from family, some made and some collected over the years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you RR. Great to have two trees and both full of memories, a lovely festive welcome in your porch too. We have a fake tree up in the loft, we haven't used it for the last couple of years. When we saw the little tree in the supermarket we thought it would be nice to have in the conservatory so we could use some of the decorations this year. I hope it survives in the garden. Happy new year:)

      Delete
  8. Hope you had a lovely Christmas. Good to see your special decorations each with meaning for you. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you B. We had a lovely Christmas Day, very quiet a bit of TV, radio and reading and a long walk on Boxing Day. Happy NewYear:)

      Delete