Saturday, December 09, 2023

Getting There

The last week has been so wet and still it rains today.  We've just managed a quick walk up to the local post office and back to buy stamps and post both cards and a parcel. The heavens opened again as we were halfway home so we are now drying off.  I think soup is needed for lunch although it isn't cold, just very damp and windy.  Dull too.  Earlier this week we had a good clear out of household things we no longer needed or used and took them to The Big Shop which is a combined shop and warehouse for a nearby hospice.  We went there as there is plenty of space to park close to the donation point. As we drove along the lanes between Stone and Eccleshall the roads were full of huge puddles with rainwater running off the fields and gushing up from blocked drains.  Some fields had developed small lakes on lower ground.  Some had resident gulls on them.

Holy Trinity Church, Eccleshall
 
Above and below the High Street Eccleshall is a mixture of shops, cafes and private houses.  Many have the names of their former use.  The Old Bakery, The Old Post Office and The Old Fire Station are just some of them.

Eccleshall's shopping streets were looking quite festive in spite of the rain.  We had a coffee and then a little wander around before returning home.

Preparations for Christmas have included pudding making.  I haven't bothered with a cake this year.  

I did make a cake for a friend's birthday last week and a slice was eaten late afternoon after a lovely lunch.  Just right with a cup of tea to sustain us on our journey home from Nottingham.

Coffee and Walnut cake, a favourite. 

We also brought home one of Robert's 'paperbag' stories which was inspired by fox and badger visits to our garden and the visit of an elderly fox to his own garden.  In this story Eddy the fox has a lucky escape from the dogs  next door with the help of his friend Toby the badger.

Last weekend we had snow.  We walked out in it and down to the park where parents and children were out and about with sledges, all having fun in the soft snow.  We passed many snowmen on our walk.  By the next day it had been washed away by the rain.

Fenton Park

Fenton Park


We moved on from the park to see if we could spot the Waxwings that had been reported as feeding on the berry trees in a small square nearby.  Unfortunately we didn't see any, just lots of people in black with cameras wrapped up in plastic bags patiently waiting.  I've seen some lovely photos of the Waxwings on social media and apparently they are still there today.
 
Next week we have another visit to make to take cards and presents, again into Nottinghamshire.  We are gently getting on with plans for the coming weeks. 
All for now. 

16 comments:

  1. It sounds as if you are on target for getting everything ready for Christmas. Your cake looks delicious, I love coffee and walnut too. Lovely to see the snow, we have had any here yet, just lots of rain. There are some wonderful photos of waxwing on my RHS magazine this month, I'll keep my fingers crossed that you get to see one. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so, there's always something you forget😊 We had one day of snow which was lovely as it was soft and soon washed away no icy lumps left behind for ages. Waxwings are gorgeous birds. I've seen them once a few years ago and would love to see them again.

      Delete
  2. Hiya Rosie, you sound as though you are very local to us, we live in Penkridge, Staffs. Before marriage I lived in Gnosall but born in Reading and OH comes from Bloxwich, Walsall. Love your blog as so many places are familiar. Gill Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Gill, thanks for your kind comment. We live in the south of Stoke, neither of us local but moved here in the 90s. I know where Penkridge is, I think we passed through from Stafford once. Lovely to hear from you, I hope you will visit again:)

      Delete
  3. Lovely to see the snowy photos. I empathise about the rain. It’s the same here but with howling winds. Always good to have a clear out especially just before Christmas. Hopefully some sunshine next week. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had gales last night, the wind took out one of our fence panels. I'm hoping for better weather next week for travelling:)

      Delete
  4. I think you are ahead of me Rosie in the Christmas preparation stakes! I did belatedly make my cake yesterday (it looks dry and I suspect a faulty oven as it cooked far too quickly) But I think I'll give homemdade Christmas Pudding and mincemeat a miss this year. Glad you got out and had a wander around and super snowy photos. Persevere with the Waxwings I am sure you will see some soon :) It took me years and once I'd seen the first ones there were loads of sightings after that! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually make a pudding as the shop bought ones mostly have barley in them which Paul is allergic to. It's hard to get things without barley now - even some couscous and wheatabix too!! We had a wander down to see if we could spot Waxwings when the rain stopped this afternoon and we saw about four of them. I'll put a photo on my next post:)

      Delete
  5. Sorry about the problems buying Christmas Pudding Rosie. Well done on the Waxwings - so pleased you have seen them. I am sure it was worth the wait. I look forward to the photos :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. We both struggle to read labels but it has to be done because barley is put in lots of things you wouldn't imagine, luckily it is always listed in bold print. We were so lucky to see the Waxwings - they had been there for well over a week. We just walked to the place and there they were - waiting for us. Paul got a couple of reasonable photos so I'll use those:)

      Delete
  6. Another lovely chatty post and I do read them all, but can't comment on the old laptop and don't get to my PC much with so much going on here. Hope to get back to posting myself soon. Take care & hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan. Like you I struggle to comment on many blogs now. It's very disheartening. I hope you are okay. Take care:)

      Delete
  7. Coffee and walnut cake looks delicious. I made Christmas cake several weeks ago, before the germ fest descended here. The Christmas pudding will be a bought one this year.
    Lovely snowy pictures. No snow here at the moment although the rain is due to return. Have a lovely weekend, Rosie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beverley. The cake was delicious. We've done it the other way round this year - homemade pudding and bought mince pies and just a little slab of cake as there is just the two of us. I'm so sorry you have been ill and hope that each day you feel a little better:)

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. It is when it is light and crunchy and soon disappears:)

      Delete