Monday, March 08, 2021

A Fossilist

Over the past couple of weeks I've read, not one but two articles about one of the women of the past I've always found fascinating.  I've written posts before about both Lyme Regis and Mary Anning. I hope you won't mind another one.

I've been following for some time the reports about the possibility of a statue of some sort to commemorate her life at Lyme.  It now looks as if this is going to happen.

As today is International Women's Day our paper was full of stories and articles on inspiring women and the mother and daughter who have campaigned for the statue are featured in one article. The statue will depict Mary Anning walking down to the beach followed by her faithful dog Tray.  Here is a - link - to more information.

Last week I also saw an article about new fifty pence pieces with depictions of the various species discovered by Mary Anning.    More information about the coins - here.


You can see from the books below which I have acquired over the years how she captures my imagination.


Bottom right is an extract frm the 1841 census showing Mary Anning aged 40 living in Lyme Regis with her mother Mary age 77.  They are both listed as fossilists.

Below are a few of the photos I took when we last visited Lyme in 2010.

The - Philpot Museum  - which is on the site of the Anning Family home and fossil shop.  It is named after it's builder Thomas E D Philpot, a nephew of the Philpot sisters who were fossil collectors around the same time as Mary Anning.   A new Mary Anning Wing was opened at the museum in July 2017.  An addition I'd like to visit when times permit. 


The parish church of St Michael the Archangel

The headstone of both Mary Anning and her brother Joseph Anning.

Inside the church
 
The Mary Anning window, paid for by members of The Geological Society in 1850.
 
All for now.  I'm finding it hard to find things to write about but I thought this was worthy of note today.


20 comments:

  1. I never knew the word fossilist was even a thing! What a shame her house and shop were destroyed to make way for the museum. I think the museum should have been built around the house and shop instead! I like the look of the new 50p commemorative coins. Hope you have a good week ahead Rosie. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't come across the term fossilist either, Simone. Even though I'd taken photographs of the blue plaque I only just noticed the word. The coins look wonderful - even though cash seems to be a thing of the past at the moment. Hope you too have a good week:)

      Delete
  2. Well worth paying tribute to her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read the Tracy Chevalier book but years after going to Lyme - too late - and the museum wasn't there when we went. Would love to re-visit but unlikely now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We first visited the old, dusty Museum in 1981 when the author John Fowles was the honorary curator. When we returned in 2010 the museum had changed a lot but with the new extension opened in 2017 it will have changed even more. Perhaps we will both be able to visit again one day:)

      Delete
  4. Very interesting Rosie, you've definitely got a good collection of things about Mary Anning in your post, it's good to put them all together. It looks like you might get another trip to Lyme eventually to see the well deserved statue. 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to go back one day and see the new wing of the Museum and the statue too, Lyme is one of my favourite seaside places along with Staithes in North Yorkshire and Southwold in Suffolk. All need to be revisited after the pandemic is over:) I

      Delete
  5. Mary Anning is definitely worth a blog post and it is a super idea :).Thanks so much Rosie I really enjoyed your photos and writing. She was indeed a wonderful and fascinating woman. I've read a few of those books! :) We did go to the museum but not to the church so it was lovely to see your pictures. I would love to go back to Lyme Regis at some stage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A visit when the statue is in place and to see the new Mary Anning wing of the Museum would be wonderful. It's on my list of places to visit as well as Sutton Hoo. I hope we both get to return to Lyme one day. The church was lovely, worth popping in if you get the chance when you return:)

      Delete
  6. Me'thinks I have seen something about these ladies, before. They were so ahead of their time. In pursuits, not yet thought of, as women's work. -smile-

    Why does a post, have to be about "Something"? Why can't we post, about little life things? 'Bits' we have thought about... Etc.

    Why?

    -smile-

    Needless to say, I'd love to see more posts here. Thus coming to know you better. A lovely and interesting woman, yourself.

    Gentle hugs,
    💮 💮 🎀 💮 💮

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How kind of you. I find it difficult to write a post if it doesn't have some sort of theme and I'm always thinking of something different to the usual garden, wildlife and walks. the next post will be a local walk I think:)

      Delete
  7. How fascinating and wonderful to have such a job description on the census (a job description for a woman in general can be a rare thing on those!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is quie unusual, I have three female descendents who have been listed with their occupations of 'butter maker' 'lace worker' and 'nail maker' but it is rare:)

      Delete
  8. The church is very pretty. So glad to hear they'll be erecting a statue. It's well past time we give honor to the large number of women who made incredible accomplishments. All we learned in school was what men did.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is indeed. I always find the lives of my female ancestors far more interesting than the male ones and well known historical females far more intriguing as they had to strive much harder to receive far less recognition:)

      Delete
  9. I love the idea of the Mary Anning statue, with her dog too. Hope it happens! I've read Remarkable Creatures..and really enjoyed it. Mary herself was a remarkable woman. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks a lovely, lively stature full of movement and great to have the little dog included too. It is a good book, I may have to read it again:)

      Delete
  10. It's definitely worthy of note. I'm a Mary Anning fan too, although you are far more knowledgeable than I. It's a bit of a family joke that I have a small tub which holds a few little fossils, collected from beaches at Charmouth, Runswick Bay and Ogmore. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mrs T - she is a fascinating character. Paul has a huge collection of fossils which are stored in a special cabinet - ammonites, trilobites and belamnites, sea urchins - I love those - to name a few. One or two came from Ravenscar and Runswick Bay also Charmouth and Lyme:)

      Delete