Tuesday, July 09, 2019

The Workhouse Museum and Gardens, Ripon

We left the Cathedral (see my last post) and  followed the signs to The Workhouse Museum.

It was a well kept building and the volunteers, nearly all of them dressed in costume were very welcoming. The first part of the building that you enter is the gatehouse.  People arriving here would be admitted and although their circumstances were pretty dire they would at least be washed, clothed and fed and have a roof over their heads. 

This part of the gatehouse building houses the Guardians' meeting room - above.  Some workhouses were better than others, the monies they received were administered by the guardians and some were less scrupulous than others.

The room where people waited to be accepted for admittance to the Workhouse.

Above the day to day rules and regulations of the workhouse.

The bathing area
Clean clothes and regulation wear.

Receiving ward for inmates.

Vagrant's Cells

Vagrants were offered one nights stay and an evening meal in return for a completed task of work which would be designated by the Master or Matron.  Possibly working in the garden or cleaning out the pigs.



Across the yard from the admittance area and overnight cells was the workhouse proper.  The garden in front has recently been restored.

At the front of the building are the living quarters of the Master and Matron who were usually a married couple.

The kitchen where food was prepared for the inmates.  Food like soup, meat pie, suet and rice puddings, porridge and gruel were all on the list provided for the Poor Law Board in 1866.

The volunteer school master waiting for his pupils.  Children were taught the basics in the workhouse.

The doctor waiting for his patients.

The workhouse was pretty self sufficient growing their own fruit and vegetables in the garden and keeping a pig and chickens.

The present gardens were a joy to walk around, they were well tended and looked very productive.

This museum has some very dedicated volunteers both in the building and the garden.

It seems to have been a bumper year for poppies, where ever we travelled we saw lots of them  along the road side verges, in fields and gardens.

Whilst we were in the kitchen we saw this recipe chalked on the wall.  It was a recipe for Wilfra Cakes which were traditionally made in Ripon each year on August 1st which is the saints day of St Wilfred who founded the cathedral we looked at in my last post.  It was made as a treat for the inmates on that day.

" August 1894 - for some years it had been the custom to augment the normal workhouse dinner on St Wilfred's Sunday by the addition of broad beans in parsley sauce; this year the Master and Matron thought something should be done at tea time and one and a half dozen large fruit tarts were served and greatly appreciated."


I saw this book in the Museum shop and bought it as it looked an interesting read (which it was) and also I was hoping it would have some mention of the Wilfra cake inside,  unfortunately it didn't but I looked it up as soon as we got home.

 I then decided I would try the recipe we'd photographed in the museum.  It's just sweet, shortcrust pastry both top and bottom and a mixture of apple, Wenslydale cheese and sugar as a filling.


It was very tasty.

A few days later I bought a copy of Landscape magazine for August.  I usually only treat myself to two or three copies a year as it is quite expensive.  

Imagine my surprise when I found a recipe for Wilfra Apple cake inside as part of an article on seasonal, local and traditional food. 

Link to more on Wilfra Cakes

Link to more on the Ripon Workhouse Museum

28 comments:

  1. A really interesting post Rosie. The rules and regulations gave a lot of time for prayers and religion! The place itself doesn't look too bad for 'paupers'. My Nan was in a workhouse in Bethnal Green London for part of her childhood and I bet it wasn't near as nice as the one in this post. Your wilfra cake looks delicious and how strange that it was in landscape magazine too! You were just meant to make it! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simone, I expect the workhouse was grimmer than it looks now but all in all I expect being clothed and fed was better than living on the streets especially in winter, I remember older people when I was a child still calling the local hospital the workhouse and hoping never to be admitted there, memories do linger. My great-great grandfather died in Burton-on-Trent workhouse in 1901, the thought of that always makes me feel sad, he must have been admitted as the family were too poor to care for him:)

      Delete
  2. What an interesting visit. I remember reading the church records for my home village and seeing how many people died in the workhouses. There were also many born in them, presumably to unmarried mothers, who also ended their years there. For the poor there seemed to be little chance of escape from poverty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must have been a hard decision to enter the workhouse knowing that you might end your days there. My great-great grandfather died in a workhouse, he'd married twice and both wives had died before him, all his children had many children to feed, I expect he didn't want to be a burden to them. It was indeed very hard to escape once in that downward spiral:)

      Delete
  3. Life doesn’t sound too exciting for the inmates, particularly having to eat in silence. It’s fun to cook recipes from the past. The volunteers at the Georgian hose I work in have great fun trying out food our cooks prepare. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life was certainly regimented and personal freedoms lost for food and shelter it must have been such a hard decision to make. I'm interested in how food was prepared and eaten in the past, although as I don't eat meat some of the recipes I couldn't try out:)

      Delete
  4. Sad is what comes to mind for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very sad William so many people had such nard lives:)

      Delete
  5. I found this so interesting. Now, the thing I found difficult is what is the difference between a vagrant & the poor. Are vagrants more likely to sponge off society & poor are just on hard times? To me it seemed good that at least some were looked after although on simple terms. Ah...Landscape magazine, one I used to get regularly along with Landlove, but alas, I too found they were getting expensive. I buy the odd one as they are beautifully done & ever so interesting. Even my one & only magazine -Love Patchwork & Quilting- has just soared in price & being an overseas publication, they really mark them up. Thanks again & take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting question, Susan. I have a feeling vagrants were itinerants who moved around looking for work. Each parish was responsible for the welfare of the poorest in its area and people who travelled and then lost work were sent back to the parish they were born in so they wouldn't be a 'burden' to the parish they found themselves in. There was an exhibition on called 'Rogues and Vagabonds'so I guess they came into the category of vagrants too and wern't classed the same as those who were too od to work or who had fallen on hard times due to outside circumstances. Magazines are so expensive now aren't they?:)

      Delete
  6. What a great post Rosie, packed full of interesting things. I can just imagine the worķhouse as I visited one in Guildford which was fascinating too. They didn't have a lovely garden like that though. What a coincidence to find the recipe like that! 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it was an interesting visit as I'd only been to Southwell workhouse before and that was much more spartan. the garden was wonderful, I hope they sell the produce to help with the museum's finances:)

      Delete
  7. This was so interesting to me, Rosie. I love history and I love the grand homes, but what I really like is to see how ordinary people lived, the more and the less fortunate, the domestic details always fascinate me and this was wonderful. Thanks.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amalia, like you I do love large houses and castles but am always fascinated by how the oridinary people lived and worked in them - I always enjoy the domestic details which was what we saw at Beamish Museum which I will write about later:)

      Delete
  8. How wonderful to find the recipe in the magazine. It certainly looks like a tasty treat. The gardens at the workhouse were a delight and a sobering thought that it was grown to feed so many. It saddened me that so many people ended up in a workhouse through no fault of their own. Hopefully this was one of the better ones and not harsh and cruel like some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a coincidence to find the recipe when we'd photographed the one on the wall in the museum with the intention of trying to make the wilfra cake when we got home. I think Ripon certainly seems like one of the better, morecaring workhouses as some were harsh and cruel expecially earlier in the 19th century:)

      Delete
  9. The recipes look nice, i'm always up for trying new food! To say Ripon is so close to me i've only been once or twice, your posts are inspiring a vist! There are lots of poppies here too, definitely a bumper year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We counted 51 poppy plants in our garden, all self seeded ome had to go as they were blocking light from the other plants and flowers. I really liked the little I saw of Ripon and would like to return to see more one day:)

      Delete
  10. You do find some interesting places to visit and a fascinating read. The gardens there look lovely. The recipe looks good and your baking delicious :) I will have a look at the recipe in the Landscape magazine which I buy sometimes and I do have that edition :) Super photos Rosie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, RR. We had only intended to visit the Cathedral but when we saw the signs to the workhouse we followed them and decided to go inside. I'm glad we did. The Wilfra cake was delicious but quite a lot for just two of us. I love Landscape as a treat - the photos are wonderful:)

      Delete
  11. So very interesting, thank you for sharing. What a lovely place and so beautifully kept. The recipe book looks very interesting. Your pie looks delicious.
    Very serendipitous the recipe was in the Landscape magazine, I too think its a bit expensive to have regularly.
    It was long day for them in there, but 7.17am exercise, what a strange time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julie. The rules were rather regimented weren't they? It did look like an original poster so why the precise 7.17 I don't know. I wonder what form the exercise took? The house was well kept, I expect it would have been cold most of the time, it was a warm day when we visited:)

      Delete
  12. What a coincidence to find the recipe! An interesting tour of the workhouse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a coincidence and it was such an easy thing to make. I quite liked Ripon and both Cathedral and workhouse were fascinating to visit, it would be nice to go back one day and see more:)

      Delete
  13. This looks like a very interesting place to visit. Although I’m familiar with Ripon and the Police Museum, I don’t think that there was a workhouse museum last time that I visited, but I did see the Queen! I just happened to be there on an afternoon when she was visiting. Thank you for sharing this and I’ll definitely try to visit next time I’m in Ripon. Marie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Marie, how lovely to hear from you, hope al is well, I really liked what bit I saw of Ripon it looks a lovely place and the people we met along the way were all really friendly. How super to see the Queen, I've never seen her in real life - seen very few Royals just Princess Anne, Earl Mountbatton of Burma and the Duke of Gloucester. The workhouse was fascinating and the volunteers very enthusiastic:)

      Delete
  14. Your Wilfra Cake looks delicious, I'd much rather have that than broad beans in parsley sauce! Well done. This is a fascinating post. Like many poor people, my ancestors were in the workhouse (in Tiverton) in the 19th century and it's useful to get this flavour of what their lives might have been like. Thank you. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mrs T. It does seem to have been a better and more caring workhouse than some of the others were. My great,great grandfather died in Burton-on-Trent workhouse in 1901, I was quite sad to find that out but also pleased he had shelter and food towards the end:)

      Delete