Monday, April 04, 2011

Planters Fair at Consall Hall Gardens

In October 2009 I wrote this post - link - about our final visit to Consall Hall Gardens.  A few months later I was  contacted by a representative of the gardens who had found my post and wanted to let me know that the garden was going to open again with the help of an unnamed company.  This was good news.

On Friday I saw an advert in the local paper for a Planters Fair at the gardens the following day.  Entrance to the fair and access to the gardens was just £2 per person ( normal price £5.50pp) so we decided to visit.


The fair had opened at 10a.m. and when we arrived at 11a.m. the car park was pretty busy and people were already coming back to their cars with bags and arms full of plants.

There were lots of different stalls from both gardens and nurseries and some delightful flowers to see and purchase. 

We did buy three plants, one bright red tulip, Praestans 'Fusilier' and two bright blue Muscari plants which are all now safely planted in the garden and I'll show you those when I next do a garden post.

After we'd taken our plants back to the car and had a chat with the people manning the RSPB Coombes Valley reserve tent where they had information about guided walks and lots of fun activities for children we set off to have a walk around the garden.
It was all looking very beautiful in its springtime colours.

Loads of different varieties of daffodils

The Leylandii wood

The castle folly

Lots of lovely views and vistas around the lakes


Tomorrow I'm off to Wales for a few days with a friend, meeting in Shrewsbury and travelling by train to Llandrindod Wells where we will be meeting up with another friend - we all used to work in the same Museum together - we will be staying - here - as we have a few times before.  I haven't been for a couple of years so I'm looking forward to seeing all the changes in the Victorian shop museum and the craft workshops.  I'll be back soon!

11 comments:

  1. I love to visit Consall Hall and was so pleased when it didn't close after all! We go most summers, but this year I'd like to visit in Autumn.

    I hope you have a lovely time away in Wales. I remember you telling me about it a few weeks ago and have just clicked the links - it looks like a fabulous place to stay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Louise, I'm really looking forward to going - it is a very restful place to stay. I think the gardens are at their very best in Autumn - the colours are wonderful:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry for deleting my previous comment, too many typing mistakes :D
    You'll see how much Muscari will proliferate, you garden will look like a blue cloud!
    Have a safe trip and a great time with your friends!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. The planters fair looks really enjoyable. Have a lovely time in Wales. The place you are staying in looks wonderful! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your photographs are lovely. I've never heard of Consall Hall before.
    Have a lovely time in Wales. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad it didnt close for good. Have a great time in Wales. xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Consall Hall gardens look a super place to visit.Have a lovely time in Wales.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rosie, that Consall Hall is stunning! You go to the most amazing places! Do have fun with your girlfriends and post more pics when you come back!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a cousin who lives just down the road in Builth Wells. It is a beautiful part of the world.

    Very interesting to read that you worked in a museum. Now I'm wondering which one :)

    ReplyDelete