Saturday, May 27, 2023

Here and There

 We've been away for a few days.  We haven't ventured too far from home but as we wanted to visit a dear friend in Nottingham who has been very poorly and in and out of hospital and also visit our nephew and his mum we decided to stay over a couple of days and make the most of the visit.

On the way to Nottingham we stopped of to look at the Well Dressings in the village of Tissington.  The next day on our way to relatives we visited Creswell Crags, the Harley Gallery and the Portland Museum - it was so hot that day.  On our way back home the next day we visited Crich Tramway Museum.

I'll be writing more about all of the places but for now here are just a few photos.

Well Dressings at Hall Well

and Coffin Well.

Creswell Crags Museum

The Gorge and Caves

The Harley Gallery - outside

and inside.

The Portland Museum

There is an Art Trail walk between Creswell Crags and the Harley Gallery.

Most of the walk was under the shade of trees but there is a busy road to cross along the way.
 

As you pay for your entry to the Tramway Museum, which is valid for a year so you can make a return visit,  you receive an old penny to pay for your first ride.  You can have as many rides as you want.
 

We rode on the top deck of the one below.

All for now, I'll be back again soon.
 

 

12 comments:

  1. Fantastic, you've been to some fun places, which I'll look forward to reading about. Good old Tissington, what a great job they do with the Well Dressings, I can't believe it's that time of the year again already. Where has the time gone? 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was strange being a tourist in places we knew and visited as children but how places have changed. Everyone works hard to have the well dressings ready on time:)

      Delete
  2. Super post Rosie and so pleased you got away for a few days and visited such super places. I am sure I have said on here before how much I would like to visit Tissington and see well dressings in the area. Creswell Crags is somewhere else I would love to visit so good to see your photos of the attractions there which look brilliant :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good to get away for a few more days. I hope you can get to see the well dressings at some point, I think the Tissington ones are the first of the season. Creswell has changed so much since I was a child, it was close to the village I grew up in and pupils from there were bused to the same school as children from our village - the crags then were open to all and traffic passed close by, now there is a bypass and the area is secure and managed:)

      Delete
  3. What a lovely trip! I’m looking forward to reading more…especially about Creswell Crags.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did enjoy the trip, back to where we grew up and places we knew. I'll be writing about Creswell Crags soon:)

      Delete
  4. Sounds like it was a lovely trip & look forward to seeing more of those places we don't get time to visit when over seeing family. We have been to Crich though. The well dressings must be beautiful & so many museums, galleries & other fascinating places of interest to visit, I'm always in awe. Thanks for sharing, take care & hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you've been to Crich a lovely village and museum. Creswell and surrounds were places we knew as children. The village I grew up in was about 5 miles away from Creswell and my dad used to have his car mended there:)

      Delete
  5. I always used to enjoy visiting the well-dressings when I led groups of walkers in the Peak District. The other places you mention include some which I always intended to get to but never did, so I look forward to seeing all your future photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Tissington are the first well dressings of the season, we've seen others over the years but never been back to Tissington during well dressing time since I was a child. I'll post more on the well dressings later:)

      Delete