Sunday, May 07, 2023

Bluebells

 Last week, on one of the sunnier days, we visited Hem Heath woods hoping to find bluebells.  We weren't disappointed.  Hem Heath Wood is cared for by the Staffordshire Wildlfe Turst and is about a ten minute drive from home. 


We parked in the car park at the Wedgwood factory and walked into the woods where the woodland floor was awash with blue.
It's hard to capture the intensity of the blue.

 You certainly can't capture the scent and atmosphere of the woods.

 They felt warm and sheltered.

 The perfume of the Bluebells was delicate but ever present as we walked amongst them.

 
With the sun shining through the trees and the blue of the flowers shimmering in the light I decided that it as one of my favourite times the of year.


The other being when Cow Parsely is frothing on the verges wherever you go along roads, along woodland paths and by running streams.

 Thank you Bluebells for being there again this year and for making my heart sing.

 After our woodland walk we popped into Josiah and Co for a coffee and a look at the local craft work on show.  there were lots of beautiful things for sale.

 There is a small area for coffee - from a machine - but very nice and a treat of a lemon muffin.

There was just time to pop into the V&A Wedgwood Museum to look at something else that makes my heart sing.

Designs for Wedgwood Pottery by Eric Ravilious (1903 - 1942)

Incuding 'The Garden' and 'Travel'

 

 Eric Ravilious was an artist, book illustrator, designer and wood-engraver.  He was also a war artist during the early part of the second world war and was presumed dead when the plane he was in was lost at sea close to Iceland.

 The Travel Series was started in 1939 but production was held up by the war and finally went into prouction in 1952 ten years after his death.

His 'Garden' series was from 1938


I love the steam train on the plate below.

All for now.  Take care.

 

18 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. They are always lovely but more so at this time of year:)

      Delete
  2. Oh, those bluebells look amazing!!!! An interesting titbit about the pottery & I don't think I've ever seen those designs over here, they are lovely. Is that a koala on the chair cushion? Maybe I'm seeing things (giggle).Take care & hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always wonder what more Ravilious could have given the world had be not been killed, Yes, it was a koala and I moved it to that chair so it was in the picture. Lots of lovey hand made cushions with animals, dogs, hares and foxes too:)

      Delete
  3. I've heard about bluebell woods from my cousin who lives in Wales. The bluebells we have here (west coast of Canada) are the Spanish ones and not scented. It is a dream of mine to wander through a British bluebell wood some day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope you can visit a British bluebell wood one day. They are rather special:)

      Delete
  4. The bluebells are looking good this year. In my experience they tend to look better when photographed on bright but cloudy days. I didn't know that Eric Ravilious had designed patterns for tableware though I've long admired his paintings and drawings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does seem a good year for bluebells. My small camera struggles to cope with conditions sometimes, my eyes too I'm afraid. Ravilious worked at three or four designs for Wedgwood, I think. I too love his paintings especially the South Downs ones:)

      Delete
  5. It's been an amazing year for bluebells, so good to make the most of them while they are here. I have a couple of lily of the valley starting in the garden, that's the next flower to look for! Good old Eric Ravilious, I love his work. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been a super year for bluebells, still many along the roadsides this morning of both varieties. We have a huge area of Lily of the Valley which has spread from a couple of plants given to us by my cousin from his uncle's house close to where he lived as a child. Love Eric Ravilious's work especially his paintings and book illustrations as well as the ceramic designs:)

      Delete
  6. A beautiful wood and lovely photos of the bluebells. I agree about bluebells and cow parsley - I would just add primroses in churchyards to those two :) There is some wonderful pottery there. I do like Eric Ravillious's drawings and paintings and I didn't know about the patterns on tableware so thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, Primroses in churchyards. I still remember the Primroses all around the ruins of Wenlock Priory when we visited, I'd never seen so many. We've driven out of the city today for the first time since last Thursday and there is Cow Parsley all along the verges just ready to blossom:)

      Delete
  7. A sea of beautiful bluebells as far as the eye can see. What a wonderful pleasure. Thank you for sharing the Eric Ravillious tableware. It is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have made a ritual of visiting the woods every year and it is good that they are so close. I love Ravilious's work especially his paintings and book illustrations, the china is lovely too, we are so lucky to have a great collection here as well as a few on display at the Potteries Museum too:)

      Delete
  8. A lovely post. I always admire work by Ravilous. Love the bluebells too. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eric Ravilious and Gwen John are two of my favourite artists. For ceramics another favourte is Susie Cooper. The bluebells were magnificent - still are:)

      Delete
  9. Oh we need to explore your neck of the woods (excuse the pun!) the museum looks interesting. I too love this time of year, it is so hard to capture the bluebells on film but every year I try in the bluebell wood near us. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are lots of lovely things to visit. V&A Wedgwood, Trentham Estate, Middleport Pottery and Emma Bridgewater as well as the city museums, canal walks etc. Perhaps you will visit one day. the bluebells were beautiful:)

      Delete