Sunday, April 16, 2023

Last Few Days

Early last week we drove into Derbyshire to visit a friend.  It was a lovely day, the sun was shining, just a slight breeze and not a raindrop in sight.  We stopped in Baslow for a comfort break and a drink.  

 We sat amongst the daffodils with a takeway coffee watching the traffic flow by on the main road.

After lunch we went for a walk in the village.

There is a lovely woodland walk from a path beside the church.
 
Across the road from the church there is another path and walk with beautiful views across the valley.
 
Lots of lambs in the fields too

This little one was very curious.

Photos of the daffodils in Baslow were taken by me, Paul took the ones in Holmesfield.

When we dig over some areas of the garden we always find lots of little pieces or sherds of pottery in the clay soil.  We also find small pieces associated with the manufactoring process like the ones below.
 

I think these were used to separate the saggars when they were placed in the bottle oven during the firing process.  I must try and find out more.  I've seen them at both the Gladstone Pottery Museum and Middleport Pottery
 
Quite a bit of gardening has been done on the warmer days of the Easter weekend.
 
We had butterfly visitors.


We also spotted a heron by the pond.  Not had one of those visit for ages.  It didn't find anything and soon flew away.  No fish or frogs for its tea.  It isn't an ornamental pond with fish more a wildlife pond but we haven't had any frogs in there for two or three years now. 
 
We have plenty of newts in the pond as well as snails.
 
We do have a new friend by the pond. I think it is supposed to be a runner duck.
 
I'm afraid the last few days of the title have turned into a lot more as I started this post last weekend but never completed it.  So the early last week I mention was the Tuesday before the Easter weekend.
 
I'll leave you with one last photo taken when I returned a library book just after Easter.
 
The blossom trees outside the library building are gorgeous.

 

22 comments:

  1. Lovely daffodils and village walk Rosie. Interesting about the pieces of pottery you find in your garden - hope you can find out more. Interestingly we haven't had any frogs in our ponds or spawn for the last two years although loads and loads of newts are present. Love the library blossom tree :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, RR. I've had an anonymous comment below which explains that the pieces were to separate the wares placed in the saggars for firing, plates and etc. I can see that now, I just couldn't remember. I wonder why the lack of frogs in so many ponds over the last few years? Last year when I visited the library at this time of year one of the librarians was outside sweeping up the fallen blossom from the path when someone shouted to her, you ought to get the council to chop them down, she looked horrified and said oh no we love them too much to do that, they are a wonderful sight:)

      Delete
  2. England in the Spring must be glorious. Your photos certainly make it look so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spring in England can be so beautiful, early Summer too. My favourite time of the year:)

      Delete
  3. The ‘thimbles’ separated items during firing. Stacks of plates etc. They were knocked off before glazing. If you look on the bottom of a plate, you’ll see the impressions they made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anonymous, I knew it was to do with separating something during the firing process. Of course I can see now that you would have to separate the items in the saggers. Thank you so much for your helpful comment:)

      Delete
  4. Your visit sounded lovely and all that spring sunshine! I am so glad Spring is here, my favourite season. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lovely day, I hope we get more like that soon. My favourite time of year too:)

      Delete
  5. Time gets away with us at times, but I love your catchup & seeing all those daffs brightens my day as autumn is now in full leafy madness here. We had a heron visit our garden pond a few years back, but usually it is the blackbirds or wattle birds that love splashing in it. We nearly always have frogs & the little skinks scuttling around the edges. The lambs are gorgeous. Thanks for sharing, take care & hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I somehow just didn't feel like finishing the post and publishing it and the more I put it off the worse it got. I'm going to look up wattle birds and skinks now. I have an image for both in mind so I'll see how near I get. Love the lambs at this time of year. Take care:)

      Delete
  6. I love the photos - All the signs of spring and reasons why I so love and enjoy this most special season! And what fun little treasures to find as you garden, that are now yours, and connect you to your home's history. ❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kim, yes it is a glorious time of year. We find lots of things in the garden, including childrens little toys as well. Probably from a family who've lived here at some time:)

      Delete
  7. The time just flies by! Such pretty photos with lots to enjoy, especially that last one with all the blossom. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does, days go by so quickly, I often forget what day of the week it is. I love the library's blossom trees:)

      Delete
  8. It's good to see the return of the butterflies which is a sight we're looking forward to seeing here as the weather gets warmer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda, it is good to see the butterflies again, we saw a brimstone too but it never stopped fluttering for long enough to take a photo:)

      Delete
  9. Sitting amongst the daffodils and simply enjoying them. What a lovely way to spend some time. The frogs have been very busy here with lots of spawn and now the tadpoles. No newts though.
    Enjoy your week Rosie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a magical moment amongst all those daffodils. Glad you have frogs and tadpoles perhaps if you have newts you don't have frogs and vice versa. As we got more newts in the pond the frog population diminished. You have a great week too:)

      Delete
  10. It is certainly looking gorgeous and springlike in your corner at the moment. We too regularly find bits of pottery. I turned over another piece this morning when I was weeding. Lovely trees by your library. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found your comment in spam, don't know why blogger does that. Today has been lovely all day and the sun is still bright I love the lighter evenings:)

      Delete