Monday, May 03, 2021

Bluebells

Bluebells, a day later than promised but then it is a Bank Holiday Monday here and I always include those in a long weekend.

I took you to Hem Heath Woods a couple of posts ago and mentioned that we would go back again to check on the bluebells.  We returned on Friday but this time parked at the other entrance off the Wedgwood Estate.  The factory shops were open but of course, the Museum and cafe were still closed. 

 We wandered into the woods first and made our way along the paths we knew led to the areas where the bluebells grew closely together.  It was warm in the dappled sunlight and the birds were singing, robins, chaffinch and blackbirds.  Also the gentle cooing of wood pigeons and the tap, tap, tap of a woodpecker in the distance.


Below are a few of the photos  I took along the way.










We left the bluebell wood and wandered along to the pond which was surrounded by gorse and had cowslips growing on its banks.



Then we wandered back to the car park past the musem and visitor centre.
The willow sculptures are still in place by the show gardens
 

and Josiah Wedgwood (1730 - 1795)  is still standing in pride of place.


I think the bluebells will still be there for a week or so with some areas still to achieve their best display.  We may go back again as being in the wood early morning with the intensity of warmth, scent and colour is just wonderful.

I was upset and horrified to hear the news about the dreadful and inexplicable vandalism  of both the Osprey nest at Lyn Brenig Reservoir in Wales and the Avoncroft Museum of Historic Buildings near Bromsgrove in Worcestershire.  Also more locally the destruction of the bird hide at Doxey Marshes in Stafford. 
 
Why?
 
I've put links on the places mentioned above.  Here is a - link - to the post I wrote in July 2012 when we visited the Avoncroft Museum, I noticed on yesterday's  local West Midlands news report that three of the buildings I'd taken photos of have been vandalised.  
 
Again, Why?

 

18 comments:

  1. Wonderful Rosie and seeing the bluebells in such beautiful light must have been a bonus. They are very late this year down here, another week to go still. Those poor osprey, you just can't understand why people do these things, can you. It's nice to be able to get out and about a bit now. I'm looking forward to some more Trentham Gardens posts from you! 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will get to Trentham later in the year. Our year passes expired late last year and we haven't renewed them yet. It is a shame about the Osprey losing their nest it seems to have been a deliberate act as the person or people had to take a boat out to the tree it was in. Hopefully after 17th May we can go further afield, first trip is to visit friends in Nottingham:)

      Delete
  2. beautiful Rosie, I love bluebells and we are lucky enough to have a bluebell wood just across the valley from where we live. I just do not understand vandalism...I guess is it boredom? jealousy? its senseless I know that and any for of animal cruelty (including vandalism of habitat) makes me sad and angry. Rant over. Thank you for the beautiful photos xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lyn, there is nothing finer than a bluebell wood at this time of year. I do think sometimes vandalism is caused by resentment and/or anger at certain things in society as well as boredom and lack of pride in themselves or their environment or both. I just don't understand really. Yes animal cruelty and destruction of habitat is the worst thing. Thanks for popping by:)

      Delete
  3. Such beauty....

    And such senseless destruction....

    -sigh-

    🌷🌷"Blogs are little First Amendment machines."🌷🌷

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both sides of the spectrum of life, thanks for visiting:)

      Delete
  4. A really beautiful post Rosie and lovely photos. Bluebell woods are so very special and that area of gorse and cowslips is a wonderful sight too.

    The sad news you mention is devastating. At times I just don't understand people at all - it must be heartbreaking for those involved in the projects or places. We visited Avoncroft too a few years and it is terrible to think of some of those buildings being vandalised. I do hope they catch whoever did these atrocious acts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you RR It's good to have the wood not too far away. It's hard to understand people nowadays, as I get older I find it harder. I was sad about the Ospreys and the museum had only just opened up again after having to close for so long. Such a shame:)

      Delete
  5. Seem like a good sunny day in the woods. Thanks fro bring me in to enjoy. I have always imagined my self in a field of flowers. Whether they be bluebells, grose or cowslips! My bucket list is to lie in a meadow filled with blue flowers like in the movie the colour purple where the 2 sisters play in a field of purple flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kestrel, yes it was a lovely sunny morning in the woods, how lovely to lie in a flower meadow in the warm summer heat and hear all the insects buzzing around you:)

      Delete
  6. Gorgeous photos, there's something so lovely about Bluebells isn't there! Oh the news of the Osprey nest just made me feel sick, just awful, I cannot comprehend why someone would do such a thing. I wasn't aware of the other destruction, people are vile :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam, I'm glad I got to see the bluebells this year:( I was horrified by the vandalism to the Osprey nest which must have been planned as a chain saw and waders or a boat were used, I can't understand people who hate/resent the natural world so much:(

      Delete
  7. Such magic! The vandalism makes no sense to me either.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amalia, yes the woods were magical, it is a shame about the vandals:)

      Delete