Friday, August 31, 2018

Scavenger Photo Hunt - August.

The photo hunt is a little different this month as words that sound similar but are spelt differently - homophone is the technical or is it grammatical term for this - have been chosen to challenge us.  It's been fun joining in again with Kate at 'I Live, I Love, I Craft, I am Me' blog for August's Scavenger Photo Hunt.

Tea/Tee, Thyme/Time, Aisle/Isle, Fairy/Ferry, Flour/Flower/Own choice

Tea - an abandoned cup on a wall not far from the entrance to a local garden centre.  I wondered if it had been brought out to a workman full of tea?  Or if the owner had wandered to the gate, cup in hand put it down and then forgotten about it? Who knows.

Tee - just happened to be the answer to the clue 'golf peg' in the 'i' newspaper crossword one day last week.

Thyme - growing in the kitchen garden at Biddulph Grange in Staffordshire which we visited a couple of weeks ago - it's our nearest National Trust property.

Time - in Mr Bateman's Geological gallery at Biddulph Grange.  This corridor was the main entrance into the gardens from the house.  From the far end it relates the passage of millions of years through it's display of fossils. More - here


Aisle - a photo taken from the central aisle of St Mary's Church, Nantwich, Cheshire through the chancel to the sanctuary.


Isle - a photo taken in late June in Tideswell in Derbyshire.  This was one of the seven well-dressings scattered around the village.  It depicts the Laxey Wheel on the Isle of Man.  More - here

Fairy - abandoned or lost fairy wings close by the Fairy Village in the woodlands at RSPB Coombes Valley near Cheddleton in Staffordshire.  We spotted these on a recent walk there. There was probably a very upset little fairy somewhere who wondered where her wings were.

Ferry - I had to look back into the archives for this one. Taken on a visit to Liverpool a couple of years ago.  The Dazzle Ferry designed by artist Sir Peter Blake.
More - here

Flower - a Zinnia flower in our garden complete with  a painted lady butterfly, thank you Shazza for the identification. 

Flour - some interesting bread making flours on display in a nearby supermarket.

Own choice -  one of this year's male fox cubs in the garden.  The male foxes of this family have white tips to their tails, long noses and black forelegs.



The females have, softer faces and bushy tails with no white tip.  Above is the mother of this year's cubs including the one in the previous photo.

Click on the link below to find other bloggers who are joining in this month.

http://livelovecraftme.blogspot.com/2018/08/link-up-party-for-august.html

37 comments:

  1. You certainly 'Rose' to the challenge! My favourite has to be the ferry/fairy combo - poor little wingless fairy when she got home and realised she'd left them somewhere and that jazzy ferry!
    thank you for joining in x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I really enjoyed joining in this time. I love the ferry too:)

      Delete
  2. If I'm not careful I end up with abandoned tea cups like that in every room in the house, but they haven't got out into the garden - yet! Hope that little fairy didn't try to fly home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We find mugs in strange places sometimes, gardening gloves/tools too - around the garden that is:)

      Delete
  3. Lovely Rosie. Your aisle is very elegant compared to mine & oh, that ferry is amazing. Love that you can get so close to the foxes & they don't run off while photographing them. Another double up, which is 4 so far, so Kate should be pleased we all found the homophone take on words a challenge. Thanks for sharing & take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan, I see we both attempted all the words, it was fun. The fox photos were taken through the upstairs window, the female fox stays put and doesn't seem to mind us being around but the males run off at the least thing. Have a lovely weekend:)

      Delete
  4. Delightful post!!!

    Oh the poor little faerie. When she discovered that she had left her wings behind. :-)

    That ferry is amazing! A dazzle ferry for sure. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, yes poor little fairy she may have been in tears much the same as a child who loses a favourite teddy bear or soft toy, oh dear! I love the ferry:)

      Delete
  5. Your fox shots are beautiful indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you William they are such beautiful creatures:)

      Delete
  6. What a lovely selection of photos to fit the words. I would love to return to Biddulph Grange and see the Geological Gallery. We've only been once after a day in the Peak District and it was last call of the day and we only had an hour to whizz round the gardens.

    I'd also love to see some of the well dressings. A great photo of the butterfly and flower too.

    Have a lovely weekend Rosie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you RR, the gallery has more fossils in place now, just a few more empty spaces to fill, some are casts and some are the originals. The Tideswell Well Dressings were lovely and the church was full of flowers and paper angels too:)

      Delete
  7. A great selection this month.
    A stunning well dressing and great fox pics you captured.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julie, I enjoyed this month's challenge:)

      Delete
  8. Well done, the scavehunt posts take a lot of time to put together but you have some great examples Rosie. I love the fox photos especially xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lyn, we are very honoured that the foxes visit every evening:)

      Delete
  9. Fantastic, some brilliant choices there Rosie. I have been to see the Laxey Wheel, the Isle of Man proved to be an excellent holiday destination. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, we've often thought we'd like to go over to the Isle of Man, it always looks so interesting:)

      Delete
  10. Love the photos, especially the ferry/fairy and the fox

    Julie xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julie, glad you liked the photos:)

      Delete
  11. The photo scavenger hunt looks like a lot of fun. I often miss the deadline for joining in. A lot of thought has gone into compiling your set of photos of sights you saw in August and I like the colourful ferry boat from your archive also. They're all interesting captures. The photos of your neighbourhood fox are delightful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda, sometimes I struggle to get the photos but this time I've had fun finding them, I can't resist taking photos of the foxes although it is getting a bit too dark in the evenings now:)

      Delete
  12. Once again a great set of photos. I remember seeing a picture of that ferry in the news years ago. So sad about the fairy wings. As for finding TEE in your crossword puzzle, brilliant. I have a lot of wildlife in my garden but hope foxes don't move in because if they do, the ducks will move out! Best photo for me is the ferry, so cheerful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I do wonder if the fairy wings were collected or if the rangers had to bin them, I couldn't believe tee coming up in the crossword. Oh no you don't want your lovely ducks to move out, I hope the foxes stay away from your garden:)

      Delete
  13. Wonderful interpretations. And I am in love with your fox family. Who knew that foxes could have black legs. :) I would love to see that Dazzle Ferry! Beautiful butterfly on the Zinnia , though I think its actually a Painted Lady. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shazza. Is the butterfly really a painted lady? How wonderful! Thank you for the information I'll check with the other (not so good) photos I took:)

      Delete
  14. Poor little fairy, lost her wings. How did she get home without them? The fox pictures are amazing, the best wildlife we get in our garden are grey squirrels! That ferry picture is wonderful. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I love the ferry too. I wonder if the fairy returned to seek out her wings? We feel honoured to have the foxes visit:)

      Delete
  15. The fairy wings were a great find! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were weren't they? I wonder if the fairy who owned them returned to seek them out? I suppose we'll never know:)

      Delete
  16. Great interpretations, I always love seeing photos of Foxes, so lovely to get a family in your garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pam, the foxes are very photogenic and the female fox doesn't seem to mind us taking photos of her, it's harder now the evening are getting dull a lot earlier:)

      Delete
  17. Thank you, John. The Geological gallery has been a long time being refurbished but most of the fossils that were displayed in the wall have been returned or replaced with casts. It is a fascinating place. Ha Ha - I remember passing the Billy Fury statue on our way to seek out the Beatles one:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love these word games. I've missed you and your lovely blog while on summer break, dear Rosie, I always enjoy my visits.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Amalia. I've missed your posts through the summer too. I'm sure you could write a poem around some of those words:)

      Delete
  19. Unusual finds for tea and fairy! I like the well dressing and the foxes too, how lovely to have a family regularly visiting :)

    I've only just noticed - and I realise I've probably missed it on every other post! - that you have a little scavenger button to link to other scavengers. I'm going to steal that for my future posts if you don't mind?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Louise, we are honoured to have the foxes visit the garden and for them to feel fairly safe here. The female fox always has a snooze under the tree in front of the kitchen window. It's fine about the scavenger button, I think I got it from Kate's blog when I first joined in the hunt:)

      Delete