Wednesday, July 31, 2024

Pot Dogs

At the moment, in the city centre there is an art trail you can follow through what is known as the Cultural Quarter.  The displays are mostly along Piccaddily and stretch from the library and museum at the bottom of the street, past the Regent Theatre to the town hall.  The map below was created by local artist and designer Chloe Breeze.


 The art project has been organised by 104 Projects with the well known Victorian era ornamental Staffordshire Pot Dogs as their inspiration.  Artist Alice Thatcher has worked with many groups across the city using original 19th century pottery moulds to create pairs of dogs which they hope will  

'challenge misconceptions, negative narratives and sterotypes surrounding the lives of disabled people.'

 


There are also two eight foot high dogs outside the town hall.


We popped up into the city centre early on Saturday morning and had a great time taking photos.


The rest of the dogs are the size of the originals.

We spotted most of the pot dogs on display along Piccadilly in the windows of various shops but they were very hard to take photos of because of the glass and angles of the sun. 

The dogs in the library window were particularly hard to capture.

Two of the eight dogs in the window of Drop City Books.

Above and below 

Two pairs of dogs from the window of the Air Space Gallery. 

Above the dispay in Vellichor Books.

In Music Mania opposite Vellichor books in the Piccadilly Arcade.  

Two from the display in the Library.


Pot Dogs in the Museum.

The history of the Staffordshire Pot Dogs starts in 19th century.  They and the also well known Staffordshire flat backs were made in large numbers to appeal to working class folk who wanted to have decorative pottery in their home.  Two breeds of dog were generally depicted the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel influenced by Queen Victoria's dog Dash - or Eos, Prince Albert's Greyhound.  They were produced by smaller less well known pottery factories for mass marketing.
 
I've added links in bold to the various people involved.

I don't have any pot dogs but I do have cats.


All for now.

 

22 comments:

  1. What a fun way to explore a town.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lorrie, yes it was a fun thing to do:)

      Delete
  2. The dogs sure add color to the cityscape. And make a little adventure trying to find them all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Granny Sue, yes it is something a bit different to get people interested:)

      Delete
  3. Anything that helps disabled people integrate with their community has my support. The dogs are great and remind me of seeing such ornaments in so many houses when I was a child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you John, I remember visiting someone with a friend and they had a fireplace area full of the greyhound ones. Apparently the volunteers from the various groups painted the faces:)

      Delete
  4. What a bit of fun, a great idea to get everyone involved creating the dogs and then the trail will give a lot of pleasure to those out and about in the City. The dogs also look a bit surprised to see everyone looking at them! 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you CK. I hope the people involved enjoyed seeing their dogs on display. They do look a little bemused by it all don't they?:)

      Delete
  5. What a lovely and unusual idea and a wonderful way to help disabled people integrate into the community. I imagine you had a lot of fun seeking them out. It is interesting to read the history of Staffordshire Pot Dog too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you RR. It is an unusual idea but very relevant to the city too. We enjoyed looking for them. I hope the large dogs stay safe. I read that some of the decorated elephants around and about Lichfield had been vandalised. I would like to go and see them, if they are still there before summer ends:)

      Delete
  6. What a great way to do a walking tour. I don't understand the name of POT Dogs though. A city about 50 miles from me has Cardinals painted differently depicting historic events in that city. We didn't get to see and photograph them all, as it was raining when we got there; but I'm hoping to go back to explore them again sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandy,. the cardinals sound wonderful, I hope you get back to see them again. Pot is just short for pottery, it's what people called them around here:)

      Delete
  7. What a lovely idea for a trail. Children love things like that. We have inherited two pot dogs from my husband’s grandmother. I have to say they look a little constipated lol! B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you B. I hope children on holiday from school will follow the trail. Ha, ha some of them do have funny faces don't they?:)

      Delete
  8. I do love those pot dogs and cats and the flat backs too! I don't understand how the pot dogs are to 'challenge misconceptions, negative narratives and stereotypes surrounding the lives of disabled people.' though. Maybe I am missing the point? I don't think I have ever seen a greyhound flat back. I'm off to see if I can find one! Have a good weekend Rosie. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simone. I like to see the pot dogs and flat backs too. Very much of their time. Perhaps the quote is trying to say that often it's thought that disabled people aren't capable of making or enjoying art? I've seen both types of greyhound pieces, sometimes the flat backs have foliage and other animals on them too. I've seen sheep and lambs on flat backs. I hope you find one. Have a lovely weekend:)

      Delete
  9. Waving hi as I make my blog rounds. Thanks for your above answer to my question about Pot Dogs. I didn't even think of that.........duh. Hope you're doing well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Sandy. I'm not blogging much at the moment as having hospital treatment. Hope to be back soon:)

      Delete
  10. Rose, I so enjoyed learning about the pot dogs. Though, like you, I'd have cats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jean, Glad you enjoyed seeing the pot dogs. I'm very fond of my pot cats which I've had for quite a while now:)

      Delete
  11. This looked like a fun way to spend a Saturday morning and a great way to get people involved while raising awareness of the challenges of disabled people. The nearest I have to the Staffordshire Pot Dogs are those in my doll house ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beverley. I was worried the two large dogs would be damaged when the rioting started the following Saturday but they are fine. I loved the pot dogs in your doll's house:)

      Delete