Friday, February 09, 2024

Five on Friday - Recently

1. LastThursday we went over to Nottingham to have lunch with some friends.  We drove our usual route from here to Ashbourne and then to Belper before driving through Kilburn and Codnor on our way to Beeston.

We stopped in Belper for a coffee and leg stretch on the way and I spotted the wall painting as we walked around. 

2. At Trentham Gardens the circus has arrived in readiness for the half term holidays next week.  I remember being taken to see a circus when I was a small child.  It was in the Blackpool Tower and ended with a water scene when the whole arena filled with water and some of the entertainers were stood like statues on plinths above it.  I don't remember much from the experience except perhaps that I felt sad for the animals and that I wasn't sure about the clowns, they seemed a bit scary. I think one of them was Charlie Cairoli and there was another clown with a painted white face, wide trousers and a pointy hat. I've no idea how old I was, perhaps five or six. Elsewhere in the building I remember a huge organ rising up out of the floor with a tremendous noise and applause from the crowd .  My mother told me later that the organ was a Wurlitzer and the person playing it was called Reginald Dixon.  I also remember feeling so sleepy as we sat on a coach driving through all the lights on the sea front.  I expect it was the illuminations.  Did we go for the day?  Did we stay overnight?  I have no idea.  All these memories from the sight of one big top.

3. I've found another family photo.  Back to 1908 again and the same time and place as the wedding photo I showed you a post or two ago. These are just the Edwards Family rather than the whole wedding party.  My great grandfather Thomas Edwards, my great grandmother Sarah Ann in the middle at the front  and their eleven children, one of them, Rose, is my grandmother.  I know the names of them all and have identified eight of them on the photo.  There are just three sisters on the back row who I'm unsure about.
 
Back row Thomas, Rose, ?, Ellen, ?, ?, John
front row George, Clara, Edith and Alvin.  The other sisters are Sarah Ann, Elizabeth and Mary.  I'd love to identify them on the photo. I know that two of the daughters, Ellen and Clara, were in service at Catton Hall in Derbyshire.
 
4. Two books from the library.  I've never read either author before but they were mentioned on various forums by  authors that I have read.  I hope I'll enjoy reading them.



5. We popped up to the City Museum to visit a new exhibition. Carboniferous Monsters.
 
Fortified by coffee and a shared slice of cake we made our way to the gallery tickets in hand.
 
What a fabulous exhibition it was.

Creatures from land and sea that pre-dated dinosaurs by 100,000 years.
 
I was rather taken with the dragonflies.


All for now.  I hope everyone has a lovely weekend. 

20 comments:

  1. Love the painted walls. I think it's becoming quite a fad to decorate older buildings. Sounds like you had a good day trip. Wonder if over time you'll become aware of more circus memories? Many children find clowns frightening. Love the old family photo, and think it's great you've been able to identify almost everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We see quite a few different decorations on houses round and about, on old commercial buildings too. I only remember that one circus, we must have been on holiday as we never went to one at home. I'm so pleased to have a couple of older cousins/second cousins who have put names to faces as the peole were still around during their early years:)

      Delete
  2. I just love the kingfisher and the Carboniferous Monsters Exhibition looks superb. Its wonderful that you have been able to identify so many on the old family photo. I don't remember ever going to a circus although I have never liked clowns especially those with white painted faces! My grandmother used to take us to the pantomime and I never enjoyed those much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the Kingfisher, I could only take the photo from one angle though as there was a work lorry parked right in front of it. I'm so pleased with the photo and knowing the names of everyone on it. I never liked pantomimes or fairgrounds either. Still don't. Have a lovely weekend:)

      Delete
  3. That painted wall is amazing. So bright and cheerful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is isn't it, so cheerful and it was almost hidden away:)

      Delete
  4. Love that wall painting. I await your opinions on the new authors. I’m always glad to have new recommendations. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wall painting was super. I've started to read one of them so far okay:)

      Delete
  5. Looks like a great day out and the mural reminds me so much of what we have over here in so many places. We even have a few in out town now as well. You've such interesting museums to visit too. Take care & hugs. Still have tech troubles, which is why I'm so behind on both commenting & posting myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the silo murals you photographed last year, sorry you are still having tech problems, I've found that if I use chrome as a browser I can usually comment on those blogs I couldn't with firefox. So I use chrome just for blogs, Take care:)

      Delete
  6. You've had a great week by the looks of it. It's good to see the kingfisher on the side of the house, just a bit bigger than the one I spotted recently! The circus you went to sounded rather splendid for the time, I remember the names but I think I was a bit worried by the clowns and didn't go. Another wonderful photo, how on earth did they manage with eleven children, it doesn't bear thinking about. Glad you enjoyed the Museum displays and hope the books are enjoyable. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we've had a lovely week. The Kingfisher was wonderful. I guess the circus was a good one and I was lucky to be taken to see it. Never too fond of clowns though. Eleven children all living to adulthood was good for those days, I guess the older ones were leaving home as the younger ones came along. It must have been a struggle to feed and clothe them all. I've just started one of books and okay so far:)

      Delete
  7. The painted Kingfisher on the wall is fabulous. I'm sure lots of people will enjoy seeing it.
    I never liked the circus as a child especially the clowns. They scared me a lot. Maybe it was the painted faces.
    The Carboniferous Monsters Exhibition looks amazing with creatures from so long ago.
    Have a great week, Rosie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Kingfisher is lovely and quite eye catching. I think perhaps it is the disguised faces that seem sinister with clowns. The exhibition was wonderful and we really enjoyed it. You too have a good week:)

      Delete
  8. Great Museum! Beautiful Photos that we enjoyed! Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed reading my post:)

      Delete
  9. In summer, Cirque du Soleil does a show here, but no animals are involved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad circuses no longer use animals. I have heard of the Cirque du Soleil I think they perform over here too:)

      Delete
  10. Enjoyed reading your blog today Rosie. I wanted to let you know that I've started up the Five on Friday link party over on my blog. I blog every Friday and open the link Fri morning - Tues midnight. Please could I ask if you'd mind passing on the word on your blog. Thank you.
    I miss the Friday link up parties that Tricky used to host. They just came to an abrupt stop. Take care & have a good weekend. Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Cathy, thanks for popping by and leaving a comment. Yes, I remember Tricky taking over from Amy at Love Made my Home. It would be good to start up again as finding material to blog about is interesting. I do occasionally do a Friday five blog, as do Crimson Kettle and Fabric, Paper, Thread. I may join in in future, thanks for letting me know:)

      Delete