Friday, June 30, 2023

Planes and Roses

On Wednesday we had a day out and about.  The weather stayed dry until we were driving home when it absolutely cascaded down and the windscreen wipers were on overdrive most of the way.  

Firstly we visited the RAF Museum at Cosford.  There were lots of changes since our last visit.  I didn't take many photos this time.

Hawker Hind Trainer 
 
Boulton and Paul Defiant

 Wellington Bomber

Bomber Crew, the crew member with the dog was a rear gunner.

Spitfire PRXIX 1945

We then moved on just a mile or so to David Autstin Roses. It's really just behind Cosford's air field but you have to drive round to get there. 

  It was very busy so we didn't stay too long. 


I took photos of some of the roses that caught my eye.  It was hard to take general views as there were lots of visitors and no space in the cafe or garden for lunch.  It's a very popular place.


The Lion Garden although I didn't take a photo of the lion statue that gives the garden its name.

Renaissance Garden
 
 One of the avenues in the long garden.

I love all the different names of the Roses - Port Sunlight where we visited a few years ago when we stayed on the Wirral.
 
These smell of orange blossom.
 
The Poet's Wife has a lemon scent.

Tottering-by-Gently.  I really liked this one especially the name.  I feel I'm just tottering by lots of things at the moment.  Named after a cartoon by Annie Tempest which is apparently in the Country Life magazine.

Shropshire Lass - well we were in Shropshire- is a rose from 1968, the blooms fade gently from pale blush to pure white.

 
Gertrude Jekyll - a firm favourite with many including me.
 

Emily Bronte - such a delicate colour.

Sir John Betjeman - such a lovely colour.  I share a birthday with him.  Day and month not year of course.


Boscobel - had to include this as that's where we were off to next - it's just a few miles down a long and narrow but straight road.  We often call them Roman roads, perhaps they were.

Boscobel House

I think it deserves a separate post.

16 comments:

  1. What a lovely day out Rosie. Super photos. We went to Cosford when the children were younger for the air show - there were very long queues to get in!!!! Lovely to see the roses from David Austin's. Somewhere else we went and it was heaving with people when we went too and yes the tea room etc was full to bursting. His roses are beautiful but so expensive! Can't wait to see your post on Boscobel House. I think there have been quite a few changes since we were last there. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you RR. We try to visit Cosford a couple of times a year as Paul like to keep up with the changes and see if there are any new aircraft on display. Hadn't been to David Austin Roses for ages so as it was nearby and the time to see roses we decided to pop round but the place was so busy. Lots of changes at Boscobel since we last visited too. Hope you have had a lovely weekend:)

      Delete
  2. What a perfect time to see the roses. We went to Cosford many years ago. Our boys loved the planes. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you B, yes it was a good time to visit the roses and Paul was delighted to photograph several new planes on display at Cosford:)

      Delete
  3. Oh...............we've been to David Austen Roses and absolutely loved it. I was even given the hardback catalogue, which I'm sure would have cost a good amount, but they said it was free. I quite often drool over it. Look forward to seeing Boscobel, which I have heard of, but never seen. My SIL would love the air museum as he's an aircraft maintenance engineer. Take care & hugs from a wet/windy down under.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan. How lovely to have a hard backed catalogue, that's something to treasure. We try to visit Cosford a couple of times a year but it was ages since we'd been to David Austin roses (gosh it was busy) and even longer since we had visited Boscobel House where there were lots of changes which I will write about next. Very windy here this weekend but quite dry too, just occasional spurts of rain. Take care:)

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness, what a treat! The R.A.F. Museum looks amazing but then to follow that with a trip to David Austin Roses..that would be heaven for me! I’d have trouble not spending! I already have two or three that you mention ( The Poet’s Wife, Gertrude Jekyll and Roald Dahl) but there’s always room for more! Lovely! 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sal, both places are wonderful to visit although so different. So many lovely roses in all shades and varieties. I usually love pink and white roses but this time the yellows caught my eye:)

      Delete
  5. I actually bought a David Austin rose this year! 60.00, a lot of money for me. I can't recall the name of the one I bought right off, but it is a yellow bush rose with supposedly a great scent. I am baying it along, hopingbit will adjust to this Appalachian environment. Fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Granny Sue, your rose sounds lovely and I hope it learns how to survive in it's new environment:)

      Delete
  6. What a feast for the eyes! I'm thinking roses but the planes too really! I wouldn't be able to choose between the roses, one of each would be great. Such a lovely setting to show them all off. I have high hopes for Boscobel going on your last photo. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you CK. Both places are wonderful and so close together to warrent visiting both. So many lovely colours and varieities of roses to chose from. Boscobel was super and I write about it soon:)

      Delete
  7. Your day out at the RAF Museum, the David Austin Rose Garden and then Boscobel House must have been interesting. It's good to visit these places and I would have enjoyed each one too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda, I've been struggling to leave comments on your blog but managed it today. All places were interesting and different. I will write a post about Boscobel House soon:)

      Delete
  8. I would very much enjoy that museum.

    ReplyDelete