Monday, June 26, 2023

After the Rain

I was chatting to friends yesterday and they mentioned that I hadn't written a blog post for ages so I popped out into the garden yesterday evening after the rain had cleared away to take a few photos.  The garden looked  lush and green rather than dry and dusty.  

Reasons for not writing a post have been mostly the heat which causes a swollen foot and ankle if I sit too long but also the fact that whilst it has been hot we have been boxing up books and taking down the  book cases ready for some work that has to be done  in our living room. Asbestos has been found in the artex ceiling so it has to come out.  The room has to be completely cleared (nightmare) and sealed whilst the work is done.  This will happen in a couple of weeks time but we thought we'd start on the books and book cases as this is the hardest and largest part of the process.

Anyway back to the garden.

A long the path to the pond are the herbs, strawberries, gooseberries, potatoes and courgettes in the raised beds.  The sweet peas are in the potato bed and two tall great mulleins have appeared amongst the gooseberries.

Courgettes on the way.  Aubergines and peppers in the greenhouse as well as tomatoes. 

The tideist part of the garden with the top lawn newly cut.  The side lawns and the top areas have been left to grow through 'No Mow May' and still into June.
 
Just a narrow path has been left so we can walk up to the seat at the top of the garden.
 
The grass has got so long now and very few of the wild flowers have appeared so far.  We seeded the ground with Yellow Rattle, Corn Marigold, Cornflower and Corncockle.  Just the Corncockle has flowered.
 
We've had to top up the pond several times over the last few weeks. 

 I think both the Flag Irises and the Water Lillies have taken quite a lot of water as well.
 
There are a few yellow flowers in the garden at the moment including the Great Mullein (Verbascum Thapsus) and the Hypericum (Rose of Sharon or Aaron's Beard) below.


A couple of years ago there was one Mullein and it spent the Summer covered in green Shield Bugs. 

Last year it didn't appear but this year there are two but noticeably no shield bugs so far.
 
 I think this plant is a Turkish Sage but I'm not sure.  We inherited it when we came here so its at least twenty five years old but I still don't really know what it is.

 

 Another plant we inherited when we came here.  The yellow rose has been moved three times and still flowers each year.
 
Below Hypericum


This one self seeded quite a few years ago and has spread across the garden in several areas.

Poppies have been lovely too both the red and the mauve ones.  The bees love them.
 

Last but not least visitors to the garden over the last week.


A little fox cub, luckily I had my camera handy when it popped it's nose through the hedge and.....
 
a ring-necked parakeet.  Paul heard it calling and was able to take the photo above before it flew away.
 

18 comments:

  1. What a fab garden! I could spend all day in it! Your Poppies, as well as the Poppy heads, look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sal, the poppies have been wonderful so far this year and lots of them too:)

      Delete
  2. What a nightmare your ceiling work sounds, I hope it goes smoothly and you are soon shipshape again. At least you have your pretty garden and visitors to to distract you. I love all the wild flowers that come and go, self-seeding everywhere giving us a surprise. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that all goes well with the ceiling so we can clean and decorate through July:)

      Delete
  3. The ceiling work sounds a huge pain Rosie having to clear a room especially with books in it. A lot of work. I hope it doesn't take too long for the job to be completed.

    Your garden is looking wonderful and I'd love one of those Great Mulleins! We have hypericum too and it has spread everywhere! I had a Corn Cockle self seed on the patio from the top of the garden!

    I am not sure about the Turkish Sage but I am sure I saw a similar plant recently at the National Herb Centre. Very pretty flowers on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a pain but needs doing if ever we want to move on. We have twelve boxes of books so far and need to get more, I've a feeling they will be in boxes for some times whilst the room ge decorated new floor cover is needed too. The Great Mulleins are super and great to have two.. It was wonderful to find the Corn Cockle flowers amongst all the grass:)

      Delete
  4. Do hope all goes well with house repairs & doesn't cause too much upheaval. Your garden is larger than I'd imagined seeing it in those photos. The yellow flowered plant you aren't sure about, I think is a Phlomis, though I don't know a common name for it. I may be wrong. Loved seeing the fox cub & the parakeet is more like what we see here with our colourful birds. Thanks for sharing, take care & hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan, I wondered about Phlomis but the ones I saw on line had slightly different flowers but there may be others whatever it is it is long lived and quite tenacious too. Fox cub was wonderful to see. Take care:)

      Delete
  5. We've had rain here but it's hardly penetrated the ground. Your garden is looking very lush and green. That's a very cute fox cub.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to see the fox cub. It has rained a lot today so hopefully it has helped the garden:)

      Delete
  6. Your garden is looking so lovely Rosie. I have a regular sage in my garden and this year it has been a beautiful plant in it own right covered in purple flowers. It has grown to about 3 feet tall. The flowers have finished now so I will cut it back. Your fox looks cute. Unfortunately our foxes are not so healthy looking and treat our garden like a rubbish tip! I hope your swollen feet feel a bit better now. The weather has cooled down considerably here now and it is much more bearable. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simone, our sage plant has flowered too this year. I don't know why I've suddenly started to get a swollen foot, probably the medication I have to take. I'm always pleased to see the foxes, they seem to like the peacefulness of our garden:)

      Delete
  7. Absolutely beautiful. Sime of your flowers and shrubs are new to me, but mullein is an old friend. I dint have it in my garden but it grows freely along roadsides here.
    I am sorry about the heat. It does make doing anything so difficult. July is my least favorite month of the year as it is always so hot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mullein is self seeded I guess by bird, I'm not sure if they are in the school grounds over the hedge. It has cooled down a bit now thank goodness, I usually love May and June but last week was very hot, well for me anyway. Thank you for popping by:)

      Delete
  8. Beautiful shots. The fox is quite a sight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you William, always a delight to see the foxes:)

      Delete
  9. A lovely post Rosie. Visiting your garden is always a pleasure beyond words and I leave determined to make my own garden look a little better. ❤️Robert 🐰

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Robert, just found your comment, we've been out there this morning after a walk of neary 6,000 steps - just cutting back overhanging plants and sweeping paths, dead heading flowers, I cleared out the gutters on the greenhouse. So many things to do to keep it tidy. Your garden is lovely and I always think of you sitting near your window watching what is happening out there as well as pottering with your salad and vegetable wall:)

      Delete