Sunday, April 06, 2008

Books

I thought that every two or three months I would list the books I have read, just as a reminder, mostly for me, to see how well I am doing on the reading front and possibly highlighting any books that may be of interest. I did use to review local history books but I've never reviewed fiction and don't really intend to start. So I will just list the books and possibly make a little comment here and there. So here goes:-



Over Christmas 2007 into January 2008

The Man in the Picture – Susan Hill - a pleasure, as always, such a wonderful, gifted writer in so many genres.

The Death of Dalziel – Reginald Hill - Reginald Hill back to his best, enjoyed this very much.

The Chapel of Bones – Michael Jecks - Okay, quite entertaining

Exit Music – Ian Rankin- glorious, loved it, love Ian Rankin's writing

Jumping the Cracks – Victoria Blake - very enjoyable, this is the third I've read in this series set in Oxford.


February

The Chocolate Lovers Club – Carole Matthews - quite amusing as a diversion, light and frothy.

On Chesil Beach – Ian McEwan - wonderful writing, strong story, so sad.

The House at Riverton – Kate Morton - very enjoyable and intriguing.

March

What Came Before He Shot Her – Elizabeth George - wow, how can this writer be so good - wonderful research, so very uncomfortable, a sad indictment of our society today.

Union Street – Pat Barker - wonderful, strong and vivid writing - loved it, laughed, cried, I knew those people.

Facing the Light - Adele Geras - I really enjoyed reading this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment