Saturday, September 19, 2026

A few days away

 We've just returned from a few days away in Wales.  The weather wasn't too bad at all and beaches were walked and explored. Castles, art galleries and ancient houses were visited and wonderful wading birds were spotted along the estuary, reached by a path just a short walk from our hotel.


The view from our bedroom window.


On two different evenings we had a rainbow to view.


Sunrise was so beautiful over the water.

As we walked every evening along the path  by the Glaslyn estuary we heard Curlews burbling as they flew in to the feeding areas. Three or four together sometimes as many as six at a time. Other waders, maybe Godwits, were spotted too, grazing the mud flats along side Curlews and Red Shanks.  They flew in like shiny, feathered darts but we weren't sure what they were. Cormorants rested on rocks and Herons stalked in their lugubrious way along the edges of the grassy reeds waiting to catch their supper.

Heron


Cormorant and Canada Goose



One of the Godwits?  There were quite a few different waders that were hard to identify.

I'll be back with more later, for now I've got a lot of  catching  up to do.  I'm going to miss those Curlews.

10 comments:

  1. A lovely, relaxing break. And what a stunning view! Your photographs are beautiful, especially the one with the rainbow. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jules, it was a delightful view and such a joy to see a rainbow:)

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful view to wake up to every morning. Your holiday looks a real breath of fresh air and so relaxing, apart from all the walking. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you CK, it was a lovely break away, we did do a lot of walking especially along beaches which I love to do:)

      Delete
  3. I am so pleased you managed to get away for a few days and the view from your bedroom window is lovely. Super bird photos and great news about spotting curlews as they are really struggling at the moment. It sounds as though you had a great break and I look forward to seeing more photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Caroline. The birds were wonderful to see, I took the binoculars and watched the Curlews wandering around and digging into the mud with their long curved beaks for ages. I'm just deciding which visit to write about for my next post, there will probably be a couple more:)

      Delete
  4. That sounds like an idyllic spot and what a view:) B x

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely break. So many beautiful birds in your views.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lorrie, it was a good break and wonderful to be able to walk out and watch the birds in the evenings:)

      Delete