Thursday, November 02, 2023

By the Water's Edge

 Just a few photos from yesterday's walk.

Mist over the canal.  This is the Trent and Mersey canal which is part of the walks around Westport Lake.  Just South of the Kidsgrove tunnel.  Further South it runs by Middleport Pottery and towards Etruria Junction where it meets with the Caldon canal.
 

Autumnal Trees

An inquisitive swan

 Lots of these - Merganser or Goosander?  I can never tell the difference. 

I like the little tufts at the back of its neck. 

This one is a bit different.  A male perhaps but is it a Goosander or a Merganser?  I think possibly Goosander.

Black headed gulls in winter plumage.

There's still lots of fungi about, not sure what the one above is.  The inquisitive swan came to see what we were taking a photograph of. Fingers were nibbled - sorry Swan there's no grain in our hands or pockets.

Shaggy Inkcap or Lawyer's Wig Mushroom

 
A lovely walk in the lull before the storm


 We have wind and rain outside today but not as bad as we thought it might be. Today is a stay at home day.  Some ironing has been done and bread has been made (not by me, Paul is the bread maker). A good book to read (the latest Maisie Dobbs by Jacqueline Winspear) and blog writing are now the order of the rest of the day. Take care and stay safe everyone, especially if you are in the path of Storm Ciaran.

18 comments:

  1. Ooh I’m wondering if I’ve read that Maisie Dobbs? Just reading The White Lady by her which is a stand alone novel. Glad the storm isn’t too bad in your corner . I can almost smell that bread from here. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Maisie Dobbs book is called 'A Sunlit Weapon' number seventeen in the series. I haven't come across The White Lady which I must look out for. Toast with home made bread for breakfast this morning:)

      Delete
  2. Ironing and bread! I bet your house smells lovely. I have never heard of a goosander, new one on me.
    Hoping the weather bypasses you. Britain is certainly getting slammed this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just rain,rain, wind and rain in our area over here, all the lovely autumnal trees are being dashed and denuded of their colour. Some areas South and West of us have had terrible winds and flooding. The bread is delicious toasted and also with warm soup:)

      Delete
  3. Another lovely days walking and along a canal. Oh..........so wish we could come over again. Because we've had cooler weather than usual here, we also have fungi in some strange places again, lwhen out walking. Thanks, take care & hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Along a canal and around a lake, all part of the same reserve. I've never seen so much fungi and different varieties too. I still can't comment on your blog and I so wanted to on your last one because of Trim the cat. Take care:)

      Delete
  4. It looks a lovely walk Rosie - I always enjoy walking along a canal - there is something special about them. Oh gosh didn't realise there was another Maisie book out. Storm not bad here either just rain and a bit windy although we did have power cut here earlier - not sure if connected with the weather though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lovely walk and the rain stayed away. The Maisie book is called 'A Sunlit Weapon' and is the latest I can see listed although it has been out a while I think. I know you,like me, enjoy Joy Ellis's books and I was interested to learn that the actor Richard Armitage has a project to film her Jackman and Evans books. Rain and wind here too, apparently it is going to be heavy rain today and then dry up for a few days next week. Have a good weekend:)

      Delete
  5. A lovely walk. Yes, Goosanders - you can tell the females because Goosanders have a clear division between the brown head and the lighter breast, whereas Mergansers just fade from one to the other. Remember: Mergansers merge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you John, I thought you may know the differences between the two. There were quite a few of them around the lake. I'll try to remember about the merging:)

      Delete
  6. Lovely Autumn photos Rosie. I can't help with birds but It's great to see them splashing about. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is good to see them all on the water and all looking healthy too:)

      Delete
  7. A lovely walk along the canal. Enjoying the trees and abundance of wildlife along the way. Thank you Rosie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beverley, it was a lovely walk:)

      Delete
  8. I do like to walk along a canal. Lots of fungi - I expect they are fond of all the dampness and rain we have been having! Nice to see all the different birds. I haven't heard one yet today! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fungi seem to have prospered in the rain. We still have lots of birds in the garden mostly blue tits and goldfinches, also a little robin:)

      Delete
  9. Great pictures. Seeing the river boats is always fun. I enjoyed seeing some when I was in the UK this summer. Fungi...always interesting, colorful, and weird all at the same time. Looks like a great place to walk with so much to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lovely walk, always interesting to see the canal boats and where they come from:)

      Delete