Saturday, August 05, 2023

In and around the garden

Although the plants need rain some of them also need sun, especially the tomatoes and plums.  We've had a few tomatoes from the greenhouse but they still need to ripen more.  The 'spares' which have been left outside are still green.

There are three varieties of tomatoes above - Santa Mama, Gardener's Delight and Roma.  There was also a small crop of French beans.

The plum tree has lots of plums this year and one or two look as if they are going to ripen, perhaps next week we will have a little more sun to help them.

Potatoes haven't done as well as hoped the crop below are a variety called Acoustic

Lots of flowers in the garden at the moment although they are being battered by the wind and rain.

There were a few sunnier late afternoons and evenings this week and bees and butterflies appeared later in the day.



One afternoon I was visited by a Comma butterfly.   It settled on my back.

It flew away after a short while but then it returned and settled on my shoulder.  Perhaps it  liked the colour of my blouse or perhaps I was standing in the sun and it wanted to be where it was warm.  Perhaps I was a handy stop along its flight path.
 
On a recent walk I spotted a dragonfly on the ground in front of me. Luckily I had my camera ready so I was able to take a photo before it flew further down the path and then skimmed back over the lake.
 
Is it a Black-tailed skimmer?  I know one or two of you are more knowlegable about wildlife than I am so please let me know if I am wrong. I got the ID from a Wildlife Trust site.
 
All for now.

12 comments:

  1. It's good to see your fruit and veg are coming up trumps despite the temperatures this year, beautiful flowers too and to spot a Comma was the icing on the cake. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since I took the photo of the plums we've had quite a few ripen. Fresh from the tree they are delicious. It was lucky the Comma stopped for a while:)

      Delete
  2. You've got some veg and your flowers are doing well, even with the vagaries of weather. Our garden is not good at the moment due to this whole year so far, being mostly overcast, dreary and windy. We've seen very little sunshine, but not much rain either which seems strange. The insects are all so cute.
    Have a good weekend, take care & hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've had some peppers from the greenhouse and courgettes too but they are suffering from the strange weather. Hope your weather improves soon, grey and dreary is quite depressing in either winter or summer. Take care:)

      Delete
  3. A lovely post Rosie and yes it is a Black-tailed Skimmer. Your garden vegetables are coming on nicely. We haven't dug up the potatoes yet and like you most tomatoes need to ripen have only had half a dozen cherry tomato types. My son grew garlic for the first time sowing last autumn and we had a good crop of that. Lovely to see your butterflies and bees and the flowers look lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you RR, glad you knew about the dragonfly, I thought you would. Our cherry tomatoes (mini-munch) are beginning to ripen now. Great to have a crop of garlic we use it quite often but can't seem to grow it very well here. It was good to see some butterflies when the sun occasionally came out, last evening was so lovely after such a wet day:)

      Delete
  4. Oh my, those plums! What a treat when they ripen. The tomatoes look perfect, and I am intrigued by the French beans. I do t think I have heard of them before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since I wrote the post some of the plums have ripened and they are delicious, tomatoes too. I prefer the french beans to kidney beans as they are softer and slimmer. They were very tasty with parsley sauce on them as part of a meal:)

      Delete
  5. No ripe tomatoes here yet which is very late. We are growing the larger moneymaker but outdoors. I have a feeling their skins are going to be very tough. Lovely to see the butterflies. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Things are a bit topsy turvey in the garden at the moment aren't they? Fruit and veg that have usually ripened by now still on the way, we have money maker outside in pots but the skins are cracking with the contrast of warm sun and torrential rain. Hope yours will be okay:)

      Delete
  6. I don't think I've ever photographed a dragonfly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was lucky it stayed still long enough for me to take a photo:)

      Delete