Sunday, May 01, 2022

Cuckoo, Bluebells and Little Ringed Plover

It seems ages since I wrote a post.  I've been around and about not going far until I feel better.  I've been trying to walk more throughout this week and whilst out and about on Friday I bought a step tracker.  Not an expensive one but it does link to a device so I can see progress.  

Whilst out walking last Sunday across nearby Fenton Fields. We heard Skylarks and then, joy of joys, I heard a sound from my childhood, the call of a Cuckoo.  We stood still and listened and heard it again. Just two calls.  I was used to hearing them over the village woods, where, as children, we played on the stone walls of the old sheep dip by the brook and scared ourselves into screams and giggles by peering in the cobwebby windows of the old, derelict gamekeeper's cottage.  By the 1950s the gamekeeper had taken up residence in the old station house as the local line had closed, way before the Beeching cuts of the 1960s, and the tunnel had been filled in for safety reasons.  I seemed to have drifted a little.

  On Saturday we walked in Biddulph Grange Gardens (National Trust).  On Thursday we walked in Hem Heath Woods (Staffordshire Wildlife Trust) to see if there were bluebells and on Friday we walked at Tittesworth Reservoir (Severn-Trent Water).  

Below are some photos of things that caught my eye.

Cat, tulips and blossom at Biddulph Grange Gardens.







Bluebells at Hem Heath Woods



I think they will probably be at their best next week so we will go back.  It's so hard to capture the intensity of blue as they carpet the forest floor.

At  Tittesworth Reservoir we spotted some lovely wildlife.  We walked down to the stream with views of The Roaches.  Later we crossed the road and visited one of the bird hides, it was new and  empty so we had it to ourselves for quite some time.








 It was delightfull to see the Little Ringed Plovers, I've never seen them before.  We watched them for ages. 
 
Nice to see a bunny too.  This photo was taken by Paul as I wasn't quick enough to take its photo before it ran off.
 
 
I've been enjoyng reading lately.  Three books from the library.  It's so good to be able to browse the shelves again. One down two to go.
 
 All for now.

 

20 comments:

  1. Hope your leg recovers fully soon Rosie but you have been on some lovely walks. I remember the beautiful tulips at Biddulph Grange as it was this time of year when we visited. It must have been lovely to hear a cuckoo - its a few years since I heard one at Ryton Woods I think where we had gone to see the bluebells. The reading looks good esp the Elly Griffiths :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you RR. Starting to read the Elly Griffiths book was like meeting up with old friends. I love all the characters and I'm immediately drawn into the story. The tulips are lovely at Biddulph, a good way of using the Dahlia beds early in the season. I was thrilled to hear the cuckoo:)

      Delete
  2. It's good to hear from you. You've been on some lovely walks and I hope you get encouragement from improvements to your walking ability. Hearing the cuckoo, seeing beautiful countryside, gardens and wildlife are uplifting experiences. I'm not going far on my walks at present so I enjoyed seeing where you went.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda, I'm trying to walk as much as possible, now the thrombosis has gone but not too far as the medication makes me feel strange at times. I still enjoy getting out and about and we have some lovely local places to visit:)

      Delete
  3. It’s definitely good to walk and I’m sure it makes you feel a little better. Having a tracker really does motivate. Always love to hear your reminiscing and stories of your childhood.
    Lovely that you heard cuckoos and sky larks. Summer is coming!
    I have Elly Griffiths latest on order and I think it was you that told me about her wonderful series. The Kate Rhodes is waiting on my shelf to read and I read Louise Penny’s when it first came out. I’ll be intrigued to hear what you think of it. Have a lovely bank holiday. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Barbara, I was pleased with myself yesterday as I recorded over 8,000 steps - the goal I had set myself. Today I'm don't think I'll reach the same. I loved the Elly Griffiths book, all her characters are wonderful. I'm on to the Kate Rhodes book now.

      Delete
  4. The National Trust is perfect for finding lovely walks. I am a member too. I also heard a cuckoo recently, though we were in the Lakes and not at home. Unfortunately haven't heard one at home for years. But do good to hear that call. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you shazza. Isn't it wonderful to hear a Cuckoo, there is somethig very special about it, same as the call of the Curlew. We have quite a few NT properties not to far away so stay members to visit those, although haven't been to many over the last two years:)

      Delete
  5. Good to see you are out and about again. Love all the photos and it's like being on the walks with you. We too have plovers, but not quite the same as those. I remember birds and sounds from my childhood too with a lot of nostalgia. Thanks for sharing, take care & hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan, good to hear from you. There are several different plovers here too. Yes, it's amazing how certain sounds can whisk you back in time. Take care:)

      Delete
  6. Step trackers are great, spurring us on and sometimes it's really surprising how far we've been when looking at the beautiful places around like you've been visiting. The tulips and bluebells are gorgeous and what a treat to see those Little Ringed Plovers. Sorry about the comment situation on my blog, I'm not sure what's gone wrong at the moment but I can't reply either. 🙄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are lucky to have lovely places close by for walking. Not sure what the problem is with blogger comments, I notice that the format of the box is different but once published the comments and replies look the same as always. I will be reading even if I can't comment. Hope things get sorted soon,I think one or two are having problems:)

      Delete
  7. The tulips are a delight. So is the cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you William, the cat has a lovely home in the garden:)

      Delete
  8. Beautiful flowers and what scenery on your walks. Glad you're able to get out and get more walking in. I think you'll enjoy having the tracker. I do. It makes you so much more aware of what you're doing and each day you can try to do a bit more than the day before. Course...that doesn't always happen. Sometimes it's the reverse. But, I do think having one makes you more likely to put forth the effort to walk. Good luck to you.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandy. The tracker does make you more aware of how much walking you do. Steps around the house were a surprise. I've set a target of 8,000 steps but only reached it once. The last couple of days only half that, but I hope to do more as I get fitter:)

      Delete
  9. I haven't blogged for ages Rosie and didn't see this post. Hopefully you will be able to gradually build up your walking over the next few months. I feel better when I have been out and about walking. If I miss a few days my knees seize up! I've not seen any bluebells this year apart from the Spanish ones. Hope you have a lovely week. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Simone, thank you for visiting. I'm still struggling with breathlessness and high blood pressure and finding it difficult to walk too far but we have been back to see the bluebells and had a little walk around Trentham Gardens if not the lake. Good you can get out and about to walk somtimes. Take care:)

      Delete
  10. Waving hi as I make my blog rounds. Hope all is well with you.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sandy, I'm just back from a five day stay in hospital so no posts from me for a while, thank you for visiting:)

      Delete