Friday, December 24, 2021

Friday, Christmas Eve

 Five from the tree for Christmas Eve.

As the decorations are put on the tree I always remember where they came from, where they were bought and who was with me at the time.


My favourite little mouse came from the Chatsworth Garden Centre.  We had taken my step-sister shopping there on a day out from her home in nearby Chesterfield.  We ate slices of Christmas cake and sipped hot coffee from the little shop in Baslow before we started shopping.

The wooden hare was bought at the Token House in Nottingham. For years it was in an old building on Bridlesmith Gate that stretched both backwards and sideways. The floors were uneven and sloped up to the back of the shop and the floor boards creaked. I loved that shop; it was full of cards and paper, pens an pencils, toys, ceramics, jewellery and all things scented, an Alladin's cave of sheer delight. I noticed last time we were in the city centre it had moved premises to a smaller more modern building behind St Peter's Church, which although still full of lovely things, didn't have the same sense of excitement and adventure as the other one. 

I bought several of these hand painted wooden trees from a Christmas Shop at Pot House Hamlet which is near the village of Silkstone in South Yorkshire.  We'd been to a funeral in Wakefield the day before and stayed overnight there.  The next morning we visited Nostell Priory, walked in the grounds and visited the Courtyard Cafe for a coffee and Christmas pudding flavoured scone.  We came upon the quirky Pot House Hamlet (the site of an old pottery works) as we headed home and thought it looked too interesting not to stop for a quick visit.  I remember we were met at the door of the Christmas shop by a jolly man dressed as an elf.

The little crochet gingerbread man was made for us by a friend.  His pal, the snowman, is also on the tree with some soft white snowflakes.  I smile each year when I place him on the tree and he smiles back.  This friend also made us masks last year  at the start of lockdown plus two festive ones a few weeks before last Christmas.  When I put the festive ones away last year I didn't think forward to this year but here we are wearing them again for shopping and in places where there are likely to be more people out and about.  

The newest recruit to the tree is this brown felted fox.  I spotted it in Waitrose a few weeks ago and it's been waiting in a drawer for its first outing on the tree.  As we have foxes visit our garden I couldn't resist popping it in the trolly.
 
A couple of those memories are tinged with sadness. In particular the first and third ones both December 2015, by the time Christmas 2016 came along things had changed so much.  I won't go into the stories here as it is Christmas Eve, a time of joy as well as reflection.
 
I wish you all a peaceful, happy and healthy Christmas wherever you are.
 
Stay safe. Take care.

16 comments:

  1. It is special to put stories to each decoration; we are like that too. Hope you have a very happy Christmas. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Barbara, I hope you have a lovely Christmas too:)

      Delete
  2. Lovely decorations, especially "Basil Brush". Nearly all of my decorations were bought by my mother when my brother and I were young enough to get very excited about Father Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the childhood decorations I remember seemed to be lost when we emptied our parent's home so I had to start my own collection much later on. Happy Christmas:)

      Delete
  3. Wishing you both a Healthy, Happy and Peaceful Christmas.

    It was lovely to read the stories behind some of your Christmas decorations. My son and I were talking of where we had bought certain items when we were decorating our tree. I love the new felted fox :)

    Take care Rosie and stay safe and well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you RR. I couldn't resist the fox:) Take care and have a great Christmas:)

      Delete
  4. Wishing you a Happy Christmas.
    We are the same with the decorations.Most have a tale to tell from hand painted grandchildrens ones to travels around UK and Europe.
    Take care and relax and enjoy.
    Barbarax

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Barbara. Hope you have a lovely Christmas too:)

      Delete
  5. I've enjoyed hearing the stories associated with your Christmas tree decorations. They're all charming and I'm not surprised that you found a friendly fox to add to your meaningful collection. Best wishes for a lovely Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda. I couldn't resist the fox. I hope you have a lovely Christmas with your family. Take care:)

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thank you William, I like them to have memories behind them:)

      Delete
  7. Lovely decorations with stories behind them. Have a Happy Christmas Rosie. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simone. I hope you have had a lovely day:)

      Delete
  8. I seem to have missed this lovely Christmassy post but I'm glad I found it eventually. Your new fox was a real find, especially in Waitrose when you can get distracted by everything else! 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you found the post. It's hard to resit anything in Waitrose:)

      Delete