Saturday, January 02, 2021

All the 'ing' Things

Spotting


Birds in the Garden in the Snow

As well as the usual Goldfinches and Chaffinches we had pair Greenfinches and what we thought was a Siskin or a Serin.

 Reading

Nothing too heavy or taxing, mostly books from crime series I have been  reading.  Some a little more blood thirsty than others. They were all set in the weeks before Christmas.

The Quartet Murders by J. R. Ellis - a famous violinist is shot during a concert in Halifax. Music lover DCI Jim Oldroyd from nearby Harrogate is at the concert.  A gun is found but the perpetrator appears not to have left the theatre, meanwhile the dead violinist's valuable Stradivarius has been stolen.  Can both crimes be solved before Christmas Day?  The Christmas Carol  by M J Lee,  Genealogist Jayne Sinclair has just a few days to find out who the person in a dedication  signed by Charles Dickens, in the front of a copy of a first edition of A Christmas Carol is. The answer will affect the price when the book is sold at auction on Christmas Eve.  A Cotswold Christmas Mystery by Rebecca Tope, another adventure for Thea Slocombe and her faithful spaniel Hepzie even though all her family are gathered for Christmas a local mystery is a great distraction.  Set in Oxford A Darkly Shining Star by M S Morris is the fifth book in the enjoyable Bridget Hart series.  The murder of a tour guide of the ghostly areas of Oxford leads DI Bridget Hart and her team to a twenty year old case of a young student and actress who went missing after the final performance of Twelfth Night.  Murder Unjoyful  by Anita Waller is the fifth book and last in the Kat and Mouse series of books set in Eyam in Derbyshire.  Christmas is looming and the ladies of the Connexions agency  take on their most dangerous case to date.    Murder in Advent by David Williams is set in the fictional cathedral town of Litchester where the proposed sale of the cathedral's 1225 copy of the Magna Carta leads to murder.

Watching

Festive television - not a lot of interest but I did enjoy Upstart Crow, Worzel Gummidge, Peter Rabbit, The Man who invented Christmas and Uncle Vanya all wonderful in different ways.  Uncle Vanya was a stunning production with a great cast including the fine actor Anna Calder-Marshall as Nana and Toby Jones as Vanya.  I remember seeing Uncle Vanya at Nottingham Playhouse in 1970 when Anna Calder-Marshall played Vanya's niece Sonya.  Then Vanya was played by Paul Scofield.  I still have a copy of the programme in my collection.


Eating

Mostly good, home cooked food 

The Spelt flour Christmas Pudding I mentioned in an earlier post was a triumph. It tasted wonderful.

We still have some left in the freezer.

Participating


In a wildlife treasure hunt organised by one of people in an online group of which I am a member.  The Self Isolating Bird Club has been a joy through these dark days of tiers and lockdowns.  It's run by Chris Packham, Megan McCubbin and their team.  Everyone is kind, gentle and very helpful to others who are just learning about wildlife.  There are some amazing photographers in the group too.
 
I've also registered to take part in the RSPB Big Garden Birdwatch.  We've participated in this event for quite a few years now.  It is something I look forward to doing. 
 

The snow had been melting away this morning but this afternoon we had another downfall.  How is the weather where you are?  What have you been reading lately?

 

 

24 comments:

  1. Hello Rosie and Happy New Year! I always try to read a who-done-it set at Christmas time in the run up to Christmas, this year I read Murder most Festive by Ada Moncrieff. Now I am reading This Time Next Year. I am hoping for the snow to go before I return to work on Monday, but have to say it has been lovely walking in it these past few day! I like the sound of the Bird Club, hope you are keeping well. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lyn. good to hear from you. Snow is good if you don't have to travel anywhere and can just walk from home, I hope it clears for you. Best wishes for the New Year:)

      Delete
  2. Thank you for your book review. I think you and I have similar tastes, so I value your opinion on authors and books that I haven't heard of. Happy New Year to you! -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you Jenn. I try to read other books but always get drawn back to crime novels especially those set in places I know:)

      Delete
  3. I intended to watch Uncle Vanya.I am so cross with myself for missing it.Strangely here in our part of NE Wales we havn’t had any snow,a bit of sleet but icy pavements so can’t get out for a walk.There was quite a bit of snow about 5 miles away towards Ruthin.At this time of year we love to drive through Snowdonia and see the snow. We can’t drive anywhere in Tier 4!!!
    Which tier are you in?
    Take care and enjoy the birds.Simple pleasures are what we need at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uncle Vanya was good and I think it is still on I player. Pavements had cleared a little today so we did get out for a walk. We are now in tier 4 since Boxing Day before that we were in tier 3. Let's hope things improve soon:)

      Delete
  4. No snow down here yet, quite cold though. I like the sound of your Bird Club, perfect for getting help identifying those tricky birds. You've also recommended some interesting books that I haven't heard about before, thank you. Your pudding also looks delicious. Take care in the snow. 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pudding was delicious. The snow is melting on pavements now although we still have some in the garden, we managed to get out for a walk today. I wonder if you will have some snow?:)

      Delete
  5. No snow here as yet surprisingly, a minor splattering that didn't last long. We haven't registered as yet for the birdwatch I don't know why, we usually participate. Every blessing for the new year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I always enjoy the bird count although we never see as many that day as we usually do, they know when to hide away:)

      Delete
  6. I enjoyed all your ings and the books have been duly noted. Your wildlife group sounds good and great to help identify species. Just my usual feathered friends in the garden including the goldfinches which I love. No snow here although I hopefully curtain twitch every morning. Maybe soon. Yours looks so pretty. Keep warm. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The snow is melting away now, we are at the top of a hill so are always the last few streets to clear. I've enjoyed all the wildlife groups with their super photos and great knowledge. We have loads of goldfinches so last year we let teasels grow but did they find them, no! They prefer sunflower hearts:)

      Delete
  7. I like your "ing" words & enjoyed seeing what has been happening on your side of the world. The only thing I've been reading is a bookazine called "In her Studio" & it's been interesting. One I've never seen before. I think you may have whetted my appetite with a couple of those title, so maybe I'll start reading again occasionally. Thanks! Wet here overnight & this morning, but fined up now and quite warm & humid. Been very strange weather lately. I look forward to seeing your birdwatch/count. Take care & all the best for 2021. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like the 'ings' 'In her Studio' sounds intriguing. We have loads of lovely birds up until the weeekend count and then they seem to disappear, just as if they know:) I'm hoping you have received your little parcel by now ready for the new year. Take care:)

      Delete
  8. A lovely post Rosie. It is so wonderful to be able to watch garden birds especialy at the moment where going out and about is so limited. They bring so much pleasure. We had light snow showers yesterday morning and then heavier in the evening which settled and left garden looking like a winter wonderland but today it has gone! Your Christmas Pudding looks delicious :) The books you have read, as always, look interesting. The Quartert Murders I read recently and enjoyed. Stay safe and well and wishing you both a Happy and Healthy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you RR glad you enjoyed it. That first day of snow certainly brought in some unusual birds. On our walk yesterday we saw a little bird but neither of us got a good photo, from the very blurry details we think it was a female lesser whitethroat. I rather like DCI Oldroyd and his team and the descriptions of Yorkshire. Stay safe:)

      Delete
  9. Warmest wishes from our home to yours Rosie.
    Your pudding looks delicious.
    Lovely pics of your birdlife.
    I've been reading a couple of self help books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julie, good to see you here. Warmest wishes back to you:)

      Delete
  10. Loving all those finches. I didn't see a single greenfinch or siskin last year , so it's nice to see them on your blog.
    Your pudding does look scrumptious.
    Thanks for reminding me about the Bird Watch. Might be January's highlight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we first came here there were loads of greenfinches but then they disappeared, some disease I think, they started to come back a couple of years ago and we see them mostly in bad weather and nesting season as we do the bullfinches. I always look forward to the bird watch:)

      Delete
  11. I've added J R Ellis to my list of authors to check out, I like to read Yorkshire based crime! Lovely photos of the birds in the snow, we had some early last week but a lot melted and then what was left has frozen - not fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pam,I like to read novels set in places I know to. We saw some lovely birds after the first snowfall, the goldfinches were waiting in the tree to get to the feeders:)

      Delete
  12. You have been doing some lovely things Rosie. Books, some good T.V, home cooked food - what's not to love? I keep meaning to read and must make more of an effort this year. No snow here which is disappointing! Wishing you all the best for 2021. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simone, it's been hard to stay occupied over the last couple of weeks,I've only left the house a couple of times for walks when the weather has been okay underfoot. We've had phone calls and zoom chats with friends too. Best wishes for 2021:)

      Delete