Sunday, January 19, 2020

Carsington, Derbyshire

Yesterday morning dawned bright and sunny with just a little frost. We wanted to be out and about in the fresh air after being inside most of the week due to the seemingly endless rain. We decided to visit the village of Carsington in Derbyshire so we could take a walk and spot some wildlife but also buy suet nibbles for the garden birds.  We buy all our other bird food, sunflower hearts, meal worms and fat balls from Wilco, but prefer the nibbles from the RSPB. 

First task was to buy the suet pellets and take them back to the car.  


Sparrows feeding in the courtyard outside the RSPB shop.

Then it was time for a late breakfast/early elevenses at the cafe before setting out for a walk.

 Scarves, hats and gloves on we set out into brilliant almost blinding low winter sun.  Having said that I don't wear a hat unless I really have to, it has to be extremely cold although I do wear a sun hat in the summer.  I really don't like things on my head - hats scarves, hoods I find all of them irritating.

I always find this kind of light a challenge as I can never see what I'm taking photos of, I just aim, click and hope for the best.

 I did manage to take some photos as we wandered around by standing in the shade and looking out to the light.

 We took the path down to the Nature Centre which is a big hide and information centre combined with telescopes provided.

 We only saw one swan all the time we were there plus the one above!

There were lots of Lapwings or pee-wits as we used to call them as children.  They were all over the islands out in the reservoir, resting, feeding and preening.

 Many would take off at the same time and wheel around in the sky before returning to the edges of the water.

The mallards were all gathered under the bird feeders ready to hoover up seed dropped by the smaller birds.

 We moved on to the village of Carsington and parked by the village green where a family of badgers caught my eye.

Across the road was the small church of St Margaret's which looked wonderful in the sunshine and also looked as if it might be open to visitors.
It was!  

The church dates from the 13th century and was built in rectangular form with nave and chancel as one unit. There is early tracery in the East window.

The gallery at the west end of the church was installed in 1704 by Sir John Phillip Gell to accommodate the tennants of his estate at nearby Hopton Hall.
 
The font dates from the 14th Century.

The sundial dates from 1648

Back on the village green is the base of a Saxon Cross which was moved from the ground of nearby Hopton Hall.  We hope to visit Hopton Hall in February when they have wonderful displays of snowdrops.

20 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a wonderful morning. What a difference a bit of sun makes despite the cold. Lovely to see all the wild life. Have a good week. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It was good to be out in the sun for a while, for a couple of hours it felt quite Springlike:)

      Delete
  2. Ohhh beautiful.....

    Yes, this winter sun is almost level with our eyes!!!! I noticed that, when I was adjusting blinds, to allow as much sun in, as possible.

    But you take beautiful photos, regardless of the sun. -smile-

    ♫♪•*¨*•.¸⛄😊⛄¸.•*¨*•♪♫

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you WoW, glad you enjoy the photos, winter sun is hard on older eyes:)

      Delete
  3. What a lovely post Rosie. Such great photos, so much to see on a bright sunny day. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it was lovely to be out in the sunshine:)

      Delete
  4. A beautiful blue sky for your day out, you have to make the most of these fine days this month, you certainly did. The scone does look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, yes the scone was fresh, soft and delicious. It was lovely to be out in the sunshine:)

      Delete
  5. Some lovely photos of your time by the reservoir. There seems to be a lot of bird activity during these cold, but bright days. The birds certainly need that extra feed that we can give them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you,Linda yes there were quite a lot of water birds around and garden birds too the sparrows and robins were flitting all around the courtyard:)

      Delete
  6. Super post and photos :) It looks a great reserve. I know what you mean about hats - I always feel as though they are squashing my hair down and putting it in my eyes although, like you, I wear a sun hat in summer! The scone looks tasty and I love the badgers on the village green :) I really look forward to seeing inside the church :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you RR, I've never been a hat person, perhaps because I wear glasses, I always feel stiffled in them, but have to have a sun hat otherwise I get sun stroke quite easily. I loved the badgers too:)

      Delete
  7. Hi Rosie, wonderful to visit again after an absence our end. Blogging time has been carved up by other things in life but 2020 promises much more posting because we miss it and miss regularly visiting our blogging friends. Another lovely post of yours X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, how lovely to see you here again, it sounds as if you have been busy, I hope 2020 wil be good to you:)

      Delete
  8. I'm with you on hats, I hate wearing things on my head! The reserve looks lovely, it's funny to see about the Lapwings, wherever you go with a flock there is always a point where they get spooked by something and they're off into the air!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pam, I love to see hats on other people and often wish I could wear them with flair but I always feel uncomfortable in them. The lapwings reminded me of the starlings we get around home, flying up and off all together:)

      Delete
  9. It must have been nice to be out and about in the fresh crisp air! Love your sparrow photo in particular. It is ages since I saw a sparrow close up. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simone, it was good to get out and about after a few days of rain. There were loads of sparrows and robins in the courtyard looking for food around the shops and cafes:)

      Delete