Sunday, November 10, 2019

Five for Remembrance

The City of Stoke-on-Trent was created in 1910 to include six well known pottery towns.  Last year each town had a steel sculpture to commemorate the end of WW1.  I managed to take photos of five of them, Hanley, which is now the city centre, is missing. Each of these sculptures tells the story of a local man or woman in their own words or from letters home.

 Longton - remembers the million and more horses and mules taken to the front by the army over 400,000 of them died in battle, many more from exhaustion or illness.

 Fenton - remembers the men and boys who lied about their age so they could serve in the war and fight for their country not wanting to be told they were too young or too old.

Stoke - celebrates the return home of the soldiers and particularly those who had been prisoners of war.

 Burslem - remembers the story told of Christmas Day 1914 when troops from both sides climbed out of their trenches and met in no man's land to shake hands and for a while forget the war.

 Tunstall - commemorates the nurses who served in makeshift hospitals close to the front lines in France assisting doctors and bringing kind words and comfort to those in distress.

These photos I took last year and I don't know if all the sculptures are still in situ.  I know the Longton one is as I pass it often.  I hope the others are still on display too.

22 comments:

  1. What a lovely idea and just right for this week. It sounds as if they remain in place throughout the year which is also nice. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've spotted the Burslem on still in place too so I'm hoping they are all still therre:)

      Delete
  2. I didn’t realise how new a town Stoke on Trent is. Lovely panels to commemorate such an important time. Pause for thought indeed. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, 1910 when the area became a city the towns are gradually spreading into each other but each has a park, library and civi office and all still have green areas where farms used to be:)

      Delete
  3. These sculptures bring back history to our memory.

    Following your wonderful blog now. Invite you to visit mine, and good if you follow too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is important to remember such times for those who lived through them and also hopefully to not repeat them. I will visit your blog later today:)

      Delete
  4. Wonderful displays... I do hope they are all, still there. They are needed, to remember. Especially as that generation is getting way old. I know, I am among them. -smile-

    😊🔥😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spotted another one recently. I should imagine there is no one left from WW1 and fewer every year from WW2 I know quite a few who were born in the midst of war now in their seventies. I was a lucky 1950s child:)

      Delete
  5. The steel sculptures are very attractive and each with an important message. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad they comemorate all aspects of war as everyone did their bit even the animals:)

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. They are indeed I hope they are around for a few more years:)

      Delete
  7. So poignant and moving Rosie. I do hope they are all still there as it is so important to remember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is so important to remember those who lived through both wars and hopefully to learn with gratitude never to repeat those times:)

      Delete
  8. These memorials are important reminders of the sacrifices made by brave men and women as well as commemorating the role of the working animals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they do it well, especially when related to local personal stories of national and international events:)

      Delete
  9. A super post to celebrate Remembrance of our fallen, what stunning sculptures Stoke has.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sculptures were done by local man Andrew Edwards and his colleagues. Mr Edwards is responsible for quite a number of national statues including The Beatles one in Liverpool:)

      Delete
  10. I really do love this style of sculpture, we have similar ones around our town too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it too, it can tell a story and yet not be obtrusive as it is so light and airy:)

      Delete
  11. These are lovely, Rosie. Such a great way to commemorate. I do hope that they are now permanent fixtures in each town. Marie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they are Marie, I've seen a couple of them now still in the same place:)

      Delete