Thursday, May 17, 2018

Recently.......

Recently.....

 We've made Wild Garlic and Cashew Nut Pesto with wild garlic from the garden.  The aroma in the kitchen was wonderful.


It was very tasty on tagliatelle for an evening meal with a glass of red grape juice.

Spotted a family of Greylag Geese by the lake at Trentham - there were in fact two families with eight goslings each, I hope they all survive.  Greylags are my favourite geese.

Also at Trentham the wisteria on the old sculpture gallery is in bloom.  It looks wonderful against the flaking paint on the old building. 

Yesterday we met with friends, one of whom was celebrating a birthday, at the Blubell Dairy Ice Cream Farm at Spondon near Derby. The drive over to Spondon was wonderful.  The road sides and verges were full of Joie de Vivre with Cow Parsley and Hawthorn both in frothy, white bloom whilst lilacs blossomed over garden fences and Wisteria dangled lazily over gates and door fronts swaying gently in the breeze.  Even though chilly first thing the light and colour en route was glorious.

We had a lovely lunch - mine was Cheese and Onion Quiche and Salad.  After a walk around the farm and a look at the animals we returned to the cafe for an ice cream. Two scoops each and I chose Pear and Elderflower sorbet and Rhubarb Ripple ice cream - both delicious. The rhubarb ripple was creamy and fruity and the sorbet had a delicate flavour which would be so refreshing on a red hot summer's day.
We then made our way to the nearby village of Dale Abbey where we discovered more joys in a meadow of buttercups.
 We all agreed it was idyllic

 Below are what remains of St Mary's Abbey - the imposing arch of the East window.

 A priory was originally founded here c 1150 by the Augustinian Canons from Calke Abbey. Around 1200 Premonstratensian cannons from an order founded by St Norbert in Premontre in  France took over and the Abbey flourished until the Dissolution c1538.  Stone from the Abbey ruins can be found in many buildings in and around the village.

 A view of the arch from the nearby churchyard.
 The church of All Saints is accessed through private land and is only the part of the building seen to the left in the photo above,  the gabled part on the right is now a private house.  As we arrived the owner was leaving in her car and informed us that the key to the church was held in the next village so unfortunately we didn't see the interior.  Inside the church is tiny around 25ft by 26ft.
 Parts of the church date from c 1150.  According to the village information board pre 1754 couples could be married quickly here without banns.  Apparently the Abbey infirmary was built onto the church and people on stretchers were able to see the altar from the upstairs gallery.  This infirmary later became the Bluebell Inn and the connecting door was said to lead from 'salvation to damnation'  it is now the private house next to the little church.
All too soon it was time to go our separate ways and make our way home.  We had a lovely afternoon with dear friends and thoughts of friendship, ice cream and buttercups are still fresh in my mind.

45 comments:

  1. "Salvation to damnation" - I love that! Are you going back to try to see the interior of the church another time? This post is full of things I love about May - buttercups, goslings, hawthorn, wisteria, wild garlic. Beautiful. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mrs T, yes I'd like to go back to see inside one day. I suppose if they went the other way it would be 'damnation to salvation' as long as they didn't go back the other way again:)

      Delete
  2. I could feel your glow of satisfaction after spending a lovely day with friends

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Barbara, yes it was a lovely day, one to remember:)

      Delete
  3. An ideal day, your ice cream sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janet, yes the tice cream was wonderful, very creamy:)

      Delete
  4. Such a lovely post Rosie, I love the idea of your home made pesto xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank yo Lyn, We've been meaning for ages to try to make it whilst the wild garlic was blooming:)

      Delete
  5. I've been enjoying the flowers and greenery along the lanes to work this month :) I've not hear of the Bluebell Dairy before but the ice cream flavours sound good, as does the pesto!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks,Louise the hedgerows and meadows have been glorious this year. The ice cream was lovely, I expect the flavours change with the seasons apparently they do a lavender one which sounds lovely:)

      Delete
  6. The arch reminds me somewhat of a place I visited a couple of days ago.

    We don't see that kind of goose here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks William, I hope you feture the arch on your blog at some point. The most spotted geese here are the Canada geese but greylags can be seen often too on the lake around here:)

      Delete
    2. Yes, I will, after the Tulip Festival. I had a visiting photoblogger up here, Tom and his wife, and I took them up to an estate one of our prime ministers, Mackenzie King, left to the country. King had a habit of salvaging pieces and creating follies on his grounds.

      Delete
    3. Sounds interesting. I'll look out for your post:)

      Delete
  7. Wild Garlic and Cashew Nut Pesto! Ohhh my, but that sounds delicious!!! And fresh, fresh, fresh.

    Another beautiful post, with so many beautiful photos. -happy sigh-

    So happy that old church, is now a tiny one, and the rest of the building, is a home. So good, to save things like this, and have them be used, as well.

    Again thank you, for taking me along...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, WofW - I'm so glad you enjoyed the post. The pesto was very tasty:)

      Delete
  8. So many wonderful things in this post. Buttercups, sorbet, old buildings, that arch that withstood Henry VIII's destruction, and all the greenery. The pesto sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lorrie, glad you enjoyed my post - the whole day was full of wonderfull things. The pesto was very tasty:)

      Delete
  9. It's a wonderful time of year, everything is bursting into flower even the buttercups. A vrsaf post Rosie, the sorbet sounds delicious. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it is a lovely time of year isn't it? the sorbet was gorgeous just right for a summer evening meal in the garden:)

      Delete
  10. I can almost smell that wild garlic Rosie. It has been wonderful in north wales too. What a fabulous way to spend a birthday. That ice cream looks delicious. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet it's been fabuluous in North Wales! I hope you had a great time:)

      Delete
  11. From wild garlic to ice cream, that's quite a gastronomic journey! Everything seems overladen with flowers this year - or maybe it's just that I've had more time to enjoy the Spring this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we waited so long for Spring that we are enjoying every minute of it now:)

      Delete
  12. Idyllic. What a wonderful way to spend the day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Super to see the wild garlic recipe photos - will show my son as he is so keen on making wild garlic pesto :)
    I spotted my first goslings yesterday too although mine were Canada Geese!
    It is lovely to read of your outing and see all the wisteria and buttercups - it is such a beautiful time of year. The abbey ruins are interesting as is the church - what a shame you couldn't get inside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We may go back and explore the village a little more,I'm hoping the church may be open for Heritage Weekend or something like that. I've seen a bread made with wild garlic in it somewhere I think it was by 'Bread in Common' here in Stoke, I must look on their website. I love to see the goslings and ducklings:)

      Delete
  14. ps - the icecream looks delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. The pesto looks yummy! Nice to enjoy food with friends isn't it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, food always seems to taste better when you are in good company:)

      Delete
  16. My kind of day! That pesto you made sounds delicious. I must have a go at making my own. I am partial to some ice cream and sorbet too! Have a lovely weekend Rosie. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Simone - I'm sure you would have loved all the different flavours and colours of the ice cream:)

      Delete
  17. A lovely post, Rosie, about many things that would give me pleasure too. Your day spent with friends sounds perfect. I'll ask my daughter-in-law if she knows about the Bluebell Dairy Ice Cream Farm. It sounds like a good place to go and sample the ice cream when we're in the Derby area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda. The farm is very child friendly with play barn, animals and go- karts. It was quite busy when we were there. The food was good and the ice cream was lovely:)

      Delete
  18. A good day by any measure made all the better by the company of Paul and yourself. We spoke about the pesto. It’s so easy to make I wonder why people buy it in the first place. My own favourite is rocket with cashews and walnuts plus olive oil to give a slight bittery taste offset by penne pasta so it can get inside as well as coat the outside. No mention of your poppy seed cake such is your modesty. Another blog perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We must try your pesto recipe soon it sounds delicious! I never thought to take a photo of the poppy seed cake but it seemed ages since I'd picked up the Sarah Brown book to make anything from it. Hope your evening talk at the book shop was a good end to your Birthday day:)

      Delete
  19. Geese! Lovely, thanks for that.
    We once looked at a house that was a converted church. It still had the churchyard and as such was open to the public to wander around. It was lovely but gave me mixed feelings I must admit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'd find having a churchyard so close a bit disconcerting, I love to see the geese and goslings at this time of year:)

      Delete
  20. Oh, Rosie, it all looks so verdant and the spring flowers are beautiful. The rhubarb ice cream sounds delicious - I love rhubarb. We are still having very unsettled weather. The leaves are not yet on the trees and we have another frost warning for tonight - our third since Thursday. I put my tomatoes outside this afternoon (20 C, but windy) and they were wilting when I went out to get them. I can’t even think about planting anything outdoors at the moment. Marie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marie, everything is looking very lush at the moment. the ice cream was lovely and the pesto too. I do hope your weather warms up soon, it looks as if you will have to keep your tomatoes inside a bit longer:)

      Delete
  21. PS Your pesto sounds delicious. Marie x

    ReplyDelete