Monday, October 04, 2010

Salisbury

On our journey from Dorset to the Cotswolds we spent a morning in Salisbury.  We didn't have too long to linger but managed to park not far from the Cathedral which had been towering temptingly above the rest of the city as we found our way along the ring road.


Down a couple of alleyways and out onto the street leading up to the 13th century Cathedral - it really is a most beautiful building.  It was built in just 38 years from 1220 to 1258.  The spire was added between the years 1310 to 1333. At 404ft  it is Britain's tallest spire.

We spent quite a while wandering around the outside and gazing up and its ornate, carved walls

We went inside the cloisters and walked both sides, past the shop and cafe.  Apparently these are the largest cloisters anywhere in Britain - they were magnificent!

It was all very quiet and peaceful away from the hustle and bustle of the city itself.

So many lovely photo opportunities within the stone structures and decorations.

I loved the few words below

Below is a view of the cathedral across the western close from the door of the museum

The Sculpture below is one of several 3D installations in and around the cathedral close from a distance he looked almost real but as you get closer you can see how large he is.

The work entitled 'Catalfalque' or 'Lying Man' is by Sean Henry and was part of an exhibition entitled 'Liminality - toward the unknown region'

Salisbury museum is housed  in the grade 1 listed 13th century building known as King's House and was well worth a visit. It has lots of super geological and archaeological displays about Old Sarum, Stonehenge and the Amesbury Archer as well as the Pitt Rivers Collections, superb costume galleries and wonderful paintings - especially those of Salisbury Cathedral by J M W Turner and street scenes by Louise Rayner whose pictures I always admire when I see them.  There is also a lovely cafe where we indulged in coffee and cupcakes.

The pretty house above was just a little way from the museum still in the close.  It is called 'Arundells' and was the home of former British Prime Minister Edward Heath.  Apparently when he died he left it to the nation but I saw an item on the BBC news only last week that said that the upkeep of the house and gardens had become too much and that the property is being sold.

8 comments:

  1. I so enjoyed my walk around Salisbury - somewhere I have never been. It looks so lovely. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really do enjoy my trips around Britain with you Rosie. I've not been to Salisbury but judging by your photos I think I would like it very much! Isn't that sad about Edward Heath's home - it is a beautiful building and worth preserving.x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a magnificent cathedral - especially the cloisters. Lovely photos again Rosie!
    Love Kathy xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed this walk with you. This is one of our favourite places to visit. Whenever we go there we always have something to eat in The Refectory at the cathedral. I haven't been recently and I must say the man lying down looks real to me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely place full of history and art!
    Love the new header Rosie!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a shame the house is being sold. We are too short sighted when it comes to preserving our treasures. In a hundred years time..!

    I love the inscription. It's from Isaiah 30 v 15 'In returning and rest you shall be saved; in quietness and in confidence shall be your strength'.

    I've never been to Salisbury. I think I ought!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Rosie,

    I saw the same report about Arundells last week. It seems that it just costs too much to keep it open, which is such a shame.

    Those cloisters are truly magnificent. Thank you for sharing your beautiful photographs.

    Marie x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another lovely tour, Rosie! You would do very well as a tour guide you know :-)

    ReplyDelete