Saturday, December 21, 2019

Christmas Tree Festival at Lichfield Cathedral

On Wednesday morning we made our way to the city of Lichfield.  It isn't too far away from here, about forty minutes drive and is small enough to feel like a market town rather than a city.

Our main intention was to visit the Christmas Tree Festival at the Cathedral before doing a little shopping.

It was a very cold day and for some reason I was finding it hard to keep warm in the damp and breezy weather. 



As soon as we entered the Cathedral I felt better from being inside and the glow of the lights made us feel warmer too.

I didn't take too many photos as I wanted to just look at the trees and take in how lovely it all looked.

I've taken you inside the building a few times over the years so not many words this time especially after my wordy grumbles in my last post.

Before we get to the trees I wanted to mention the structure above. It's called 'In the Image and Likeness:  A constellation of Images'  It's a collaboration between the Cathedral, its artist in residence Peter Walker, local schools and community groups.

It was quite beautiful both seen at a distance with its pale, fragile silvery light and also close to looking up into it with it's bright golden glow.

Here is a - link - to more information about the project which explains it more easily that I could have done.
On to the trees, I had meant to find out how many there were but forgot to ask and didn't pick up any information about them, I would think there must have been about fifty of them.


I liked the turquoise blue feathers on this tree.


This one caught our attention as it was so simplel with gentle seasonal colours and didn't have glitter or flashing lights.
On closer inspection it was a tree from the National Memorial Arboretum.

I loved this star on top of one of the trees



I think you can see from the photos that at the time we visited it wasn't very busy

The tree with the rocking horse was decorated by a local vetinary surgery.



From about 5.30p.m. onwards there are also light displays and illuminations both inside and outside the cathedral.


I've heard that is is quite spectacular and seen wonderful photos on facebook taken by friends who have visited in the evening. 


20 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing those images.We usually go to Chester Cathedral to see the trees but have not been this year.We may go tomorrow .The "I" newspaper picked Chester out as one of the best Christmas markets in Europe.We could do that as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Barbara, the trees were lovely at Lichfield I expect the Chester ones will be lovely too. I hope you manage to visit. I read about the Chester Market somewhere recently it was probably in the "I" as we do buy it quite regularly:)

      Delete
  2. Amazing! Breath-taking! Lovely!

    I don't remember grumbles in your last post. -smile-

    Happy Eve of Yule...
    Happy Eve of Winter Solstice...
    🌲🌞🌲

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you WoW, glad you liked the photos - happy Yule and Winter Solstice to you too:)

      Delete
  3. I think I would like Lichfield; Ely is similarly small with a large cathedral. I hope they get lots of people in to view the trees at some time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you John, I think you would enjoy Lichfield too also its connections with Dr Johnson and Erasmus Darwin both their homes are museums there and both fascinating.I bet the cathedral is packed for the illuminations in the evening:):)

      Delete
  4. This cathedral is beautiful! I love everything about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked the cathedral Kathie, it is quite spectacular:)

      Delete
  5. A spectacular cathedral Rosie, I love the architecture, and a lovely selection of decorated trees too! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simone, it is a very impressive cathedral both inside and out:)

      Delete
  6. Wonderful Rosie - Thank you so much for sharing. The trees look so lovely and I love the silver and gold structure. I really must go back to Lichfield very soon and have a good look round the cathedral. I can't remember if i mentioned it in my last comment but someone recommended the light and illumination show to me and I have just said to my son we must go next year.

    Off now to see your last post - from a brief glimpse of it I think I am going to very much agree with you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you RR, the trees were sometimes quite small but lovely. The central display was quite spectacular, I couldn't stop gazing at it. I'm not one for going out on dark, winter evenings but I may just be tempted by the illuminations next year:)

      Delete
    2. Not keen here on going out at night in the winter either and at events like that I was worry about getting a car parking space!!! But I have seen a few photos of the light and illumination show on twitter and it does look marvellous.

      Delete
    3. I may be tempted next year to stay overnight as a treat and see the cathedral in the evening, eat somewhere nice and then do shops and etc the next day. The photos I saw looked wonderful:)

      Delete
  7. This looks beautiful and very nice to be able to visit when it's fairly quiet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pam, I was surprised at how quiet it was although it was around eleven in the morning, there was one school party and a couple of groups of people but not many others:)

      Delete
  8. A beautiful setting for a Christmas tree festival. I hope all is well with you after the recent upsetting time which I hope is put right as soon as possible by Estate Management at Chatsworth. I hope that you had a good weekend. May you have a lovely Christmas and I wish you all the best for the new year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda, it was upsetting to see what had happened, lets hope it gets sorted out if not we will have to take tools over and set it right ourselves. We had a quiet weekend staying away from where the crowds would be, have been shopping this morning which I was dreading but it was no busier than a normal day and we went straight up to an empty check out and din't have to queue. I hope you too have a lovely Christmas and best wishes for the new year:)

      Delete
  9. A beautiful showcase for all the Christmas trees! It must have taken ages to get them all decorated and they certainly look so cheerful and festive. Lichfield is on my list to visit when we are able to get out and about again! Have a lovely Christmas and all the best for the New Year. 🎅

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karen, the trees were lovely and in such a beautiful setting. I'm sure you will love Lichfield small enough to get around with lots of rich history to offer. Best wishes for Christmas and the New Year:)

      Delete