Friday, August 28, 2026

In the Garden

 The Tulip Tree has been having an early Autumn.  


There are leaves everywhere.

We are gradually taking out some of the old, unproductive raised beds to create a new space.  We'll think about what to replace them with through the rest of this year.  New higher, raised beds that badgers can't get into? A flat seating area?  A new shed in which to keep the garden furniture over Winter?  A summer house or gazebo?  We'll see.


The Holly hedge along the back of the garden has lots of red berries.  I think Autumn has arrived early this year.


There are lots of apples on the tree.  Many were removed a few weeks ago but there are still lots of fruit weighing the branches down.  We've had to prop them up with canes to stop them snapping off.


I'm not sure when they will be ready but I think they will be much smaller this year.  I miss the plum tree we had to take down a few years ago as I'm fond of Victoria plums at this time of year.  I'd love to have a Damson or Greengage tree.  Fruit trees seem to grow well in this garden.


 I think the apples and the holly berries are the most colourful things in the garden at the moment.  All is very dull and dreary after the hot weather.  We've lost Hydrangeas, Japanese Anemones and peonies, all brown with crumbling papery leaves.  I'm hoping some of them may revive next year.


What we do have now is rain.  At last!  


Much needed of course to fill up the pond and the water butts.


Of course it is a holiday weekend here.  I don't think we'll be going very far, so it's a good job I've got three library books to read.  Oops, Wilfred sneaked into the photo.  He came as a free gift when I ordered a jacket on line about three years ago.

Have a lovely, peaceful weekend everyone, wherever you are.

1 comment:

  1. I think you are right Rosie we are going to have an early autumn. I am sure you will have a lot of fun deciding what to do with the new space you have created :) That is a great crop of apples. Sadly, the apple tree in the caravan garden has dropped an awful lot of fruit in recent months.

    Thankfully, we had a lot of rain yesterday too. I like Wilfred Bear :) Have a good bank holiday weekend.

    ReplyDelete