Friday, December 20, 2019

A bit of a Grumble

I don't usually moan or grumble on this blog. I try my hardest to keep it light and friendly and I hope interesting but two things are bothering me at the moment which I just have to grumble about.

Earlier today we drove in heavy rain to the Derbyshire village I grew up in and where my mother and step-father are buried in the churchyard.   I knew with all the rain that the churchyard, especially the path to the newer section, would be very muddy so had taken old boots to put on just to walk through it.  As we walked past the old gravestones towards the newer ones beyond the boundary wall I noticed the smell of cows.  I assumed the smell was coming from one of the nearby farmer's fields but as we got closer to the graveside we could see that something was amiss.  

There were hoof prints from cows all over the graves and Mum and Dad's grave seem particularly bad and the headstone which had always had a slight tilt was leaning quite badly to one side as if a cow had pushed or nudged against it in some way and it had moved in the loose wet earth.  

There was nothing we could do as the rain was streaming down and we were slipping and sliding in the mud so we placed the holly wreath we had brought with us and walked back towards the front of the churchyard.  On the small shed in the corner near the taps was a notice.  It told us that cows had strayed into the churchyard from the Chatsworth Estate land and that they were aware of the problem and hoped to deal with the damage soon.  We are now going to have to go back in a week or two to see what, if anything, has been done.



I was reading this morning about the government plans to introduce voting by photo ID only.  This bothers me a lot as I posses neither passport nor driving license.  I've never learnt to drive and our passports ran out in 2017 and we never got round to renewing them.  I do have a bus pass even though we don't have a regular bus service anymore in the area we live in, it tends to get used on holiday rather than around here and also as ID when collecting parcels from the post office sorting office because, of course, they always try to deliver them when we are out and about. 

 It occurred to me that maybe if we need to have photo identification that some sort of identity card would become necessary, funnily enough I still have one in my name which was issued to my parents when I was a baby.  I assume because rationing didn't fully disappear until 1954.  It seems to me that local councils could issue these cards locally much as they do bus passes.  They have the technology and can check people through the electoral register and the census returns. Perhaps, fingers crossed, it won't happen but I won't hold my breath as many things I neither like nor understand are happening at the moment, I sometimes feel quite alien in my own country.

Sorry moan over except of course my three usual gripes of -

 1. Pot holes in the roads.  We had to replace a brand new tyre a few weeks ago.

2.  Tailgaters on the roads whom I usually refer to as arrogant bullies.

3.  People who don't drop into single file when walking on narrow paths and pavements and glare at you as if it is you who are in their way even though we have usually looked ahead and seen the difficulty and dropped into single file well in advance it's just common courtesy after all.


Grr to them all.

Sorry.  Back to normal in my next post.

13 comments:

  1. I hope you feel better after that. I have to say that I think each and every grumble is perfectly justifiable. I share your feelings about nos 1-3, having encountered all three types of nuisance. The photo id is something I worry about too - passports have expired, and I have no desire to replace it. I do have a driving licence, but that will soon be out of date, no bus pass, mainly because we have no buses around here.
    Much more importantly, I can only imagine how much damage those cows had done to the graves, especially if the ground is as soggy as around here and I am sorry for the distress you must have felt. Let's hope that Chatsworth Estate makes remedial work a priority, once the weather and ground permits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elaine for your kind words. I hope the possible ID problem will be sorted before it is needed again. We have no desire to renew passports either at the moment and the driver has one of those old paper licenses with no photo. I do hope the farmers will try to lift the headstone and stand it upright again. If not we will have to drive over there with tools to do the job:)

      Delete
  2. Ohhh, I missed this post! How did that happen????

    Oh yes,those people who do nothing, when walking, and you trying to pass in a car!! And who walk on the wrong side of the road, to start with. All children should be taught to walk, facing traffic... So they can see approaching cars, and move some. Grrrrrr.......

    The cemetery happening is soooo terrible. -sigh-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you WoW. We were always taught to walk facing oncoming trafic too. I was more concerned about people on country walks, paths, towpaths etc who spread across in threes and fours and don't want to move for anyone coming the other way - something else I was always taught was don't push yourself forward and always stand back for other people which I still do:) Hope the headstone can be sorted soon otherwise it will keel over if the ground gets any soggier:)

      Delete
  3. I think you're justified to grumble about all of those. I could probably add a few more if I thought about it for a few minutes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you John, just little niggles really but all I have experienced over the last week or two. I guess ID problems will be sorted but the headstone and tranpled grave was quite a shock:)

      Delete
  4. You are completely right to complain! I would be very unhappy if my dad's gravesite had been trodden over. Actually, I get very unhappy when I visit one of our local cemetaries and a site or family plot is in shambles.

    I lack a driver's license and a passport here in the U.S. I do have a state photo ID because those are required for everything it seems and I carry my voter registration card because my photo ID is from a different state and the voter card shows current residency. Such a bother!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathie, I expect one cow got out of a nearby field and the rest followed, I've heard of sheep in churchyards to keep the grass down but not cattle:) It does sound a bit of a pfaff having to carry all those differentcards just to prove who you are. I expect it will happen over here eventually:)

      Delete
  5. Your grumbles are really well justified and I am so sorry to hear of the damage to your parents' grave - it must have been very upsetting for you.

    I agree about photo id as I don't have a passport and have only recently been issued with a photo driving licence and that was only because the old paper one was in a purse which was stolen.

    Feeling very unsettled myself too about so many things happening in this country which I am definitely not happy about.

    Oh and I so agree about tailgaters - they drive me mad especially on motorways when you are travelling at speed and should be leaving a large gap between vehicles.

    Pleased you managed to have a lovely day out in Lichfield when perhaps you escaped from your worries and annoyances for a while?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you RR, I'm glad that you feel as I do about what is happening at the moment all very unsettling but I often fear to say so except in the company of those who I know feel the same, otherwise I keep quiet. We visited Lichfield before we went into Derbyshire and found the mess but the memory and photos of the visit cheered me up. Sorry you had your purse taken, that's awful as it so hard to sort out banks and get new membership cards and etc let alone leaving you feeling vulnerable. P is always saying not enough space between cars and not enough stopping time between them too. People don't seem happy when you stick to the speed limit either. Oh well!:)

      Delete
    2. Thanks Rosie. Difficult times now and also ahead I fear :( Pleased to hear that the Lichfield visit made you feel a little better in Derbyshire. The purse loss was a few years ago now - I was car jacked! Not sure if I ever mentioned it at the time on my blog but probably not. My purse was in a bag of shopping on the rear seat. Thankfully I wasn't hurt but it was a traumatic experience and as you say purse wise with membership, loyalty, bank card etc. a lot to replace. I've been tooted quite a bit recently as my son is having driving lessons and to help him think like a driver when he is in the car with me he tells me whether I can proceed at roundabouts and junctions etc. People behind can get very impatient.
      I hope you both have a very lovely Christmas.

      Delete
  6. Let's hope they get to work quickly and get the graveyard back to normal for everyone. I should think the cows have enjoyed eating all the flowers, lucky you brought a holly wreath, that should put them off! They really need to get rid of all the cars and get more buses on the go, you can never tell what time you are going to get anywhere, if it isn't the traffic, it's temporary traffic lights! 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope they sort out the mess soon, it was so wet and muddy and the cows had made it worse. I wish they would invest more in public transport and make it easier and cheaper to travel but also make the roads better too, pot holes are a menace when we have to travel distances to visits relatives but then so are road works:)

      Delete