Tuesday, December 17, 2019

Very slowly a bit at a Time

Very slowly, just a little bit at a time, Christmas is entering the house.


I like introducing things gradually

First things first the Christmas shopping bag that gets used for about a month each year.  I love it's cheerfulness on grey, damp, misty mornings. Things have certainly been bleak, colourless and depressing over the last few days so we need some cheer.


 The citrus, spicy aroma of the pot pourri makes the house feel seasonally festive.

 Also on display on the bookcase because they weren't even put away, four new Christmas items purchased over the last few weeks, two sweet mice for the tree and a lovely little tin.

And also a little wooden winter scene.

 Tomte has found a home.  I love his nose and fluffy beard, he makes me smile.

Boxes of tree decorations are being opened one at a time.  This old hat box which lives on the top of my wardrobe contains some of the baubles.

Whilst searching for lost things I found this little Christmas tree, bought for my first Christmas in December 1950 when I was about four months old.  When I was a child it was always decorated with small, fragile glass baubles. I also remember a red and white plastic Father Christmas on his sleigh and a fairy with a feather skirt which used to sit on top.  The tree is very sparse and fragile now.  I need to find a museum that will look after it as I hate to think of it being thrown away when I've gone ditto my three childhood teddy bears which live in a box at the bottom of my wardrobe with the little tree.

We still have one journey to make which includes taking wreaths to churchyards and then lunch with dear friends. I expect that over the weekend the Christmas cake will be iced and the main tree put up and decorated.


Over the weekend we made our usual visit to the Tudor Christmas at Little Moreton Hall. Warm, mulled apple brandy and a ginger biscuit were offered on arrival, there was music from Piva in the main hall and a jester creating havoc in the courtyard outside.

 
I've made collages of some of the things that caught my eye. 

It's always a very jolly and festive event and something we look forward to each year.

18 comments:

  1. A wonderful festive post Rosie. I like how you are letting Christmas creep in little by little! I am sure a museum would be thrilled to have your Christmas tree and Teddies and that way they can be appreciated by many people. My Nan bought me and my sister some shoes from the 1920's back in the 1970's. We wore them a few times but now my sister has suggested we donate them to a museum so that is what we intend to do. Hope you have a good week. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simone, I'm sure a costume museum would love the 1920s shoes. There is a Museum of Childhood not too far from here so I may approach them in the new year and see if they could take the tree and teddies. Hope you too have a lovely few days and a super Christmas:)

      Delete
  2. A delightful post, with Yule/Christmas coming slowly. A peaceful way to ease into this lovely Season.

    And what a festive place to visit. How could anyone come away from that, without having absorbed The Season? -smile-

    And oh yes, find a place, which will treasure and preserve, your Treasures.

    🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you WoW I like to take my time getting things done for Christmas but it is great to tick things off the list. We always enjoying visiting Little Moreton Hall each year, it seems like the start of the festive season for us:)

      Delete
  3. So many lovely photos in your post on a Christmas theme. I do like the glass holly leaves and berries in the first photo. Adore the little gnome Tomte - I bought a slightly similar one when we were in Bromyard which I keep on a chest of drawers - he always cheers. Little Moreton Hall looks and sounds very festive. Am considering visiting one of our local NT properties but a bit worried as last year I went to Packwood twice and on both occasions all the timed house tickets had gone and you can't book in advance which is a pain. There theme this year is the Nutcracker and I really would like to see it.

    I do enjoy getting ready for Christmas in a way it sometimes seems more fun that the actual day! Enjoy the rest of your week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you RR,like you I enjoy the preparations rather than the day itself and I always find Christmas Eve more special than Christmas Day, perhaps it stems from childhood and the excitment and anticipation. I love my Tomte he came from Ikea. I hope you manage to get to one of your local NT properties - they all do Christmas so well:)

      Delete
  4. Introducing Christmas gradually is a great idea. Your visit to Little Moreton Hall looks lovely. A beautiful place to visit at this time of year. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Barbara. There is only us two and a couple of visits to friends and family to prepare for so I don't find it too hard to meander along gently. It's harder for those who have family and work commitments as well. We always look forward to our visit to Little Moreton it does seem like the start of the festivities for us:)

      Delete
  5. I love your collages, Rosie. How lovely to introduce Christmas slowly. We bought a tree and it now has lights, but I haven’t found time to decorate it yet, so this job may be saved for the weekend. Like you, I will start doing my Christmas cake - adding marzipan before I ice it with a snowy scene. Enjoy your festive preparations. Marie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marie, I saw your now decorated tree on your blog today and it looks lovely. Have just put the marzipan on the cake, icing Sunday or Monday, then just mince pies to make not many for just us two:)

      Delete
  6. How wonderful and very exciting. I love your glass holly. Little Morton Hall is just the place to visit at this time of year. 🎄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karen, the glass holly was a gift a few years ago now and I always look forward to seeking it out and putting it in the window. We always enjoy our visits to Little Moreton especially at this time of year:)

      Delete
  7. The holiday season is quite a festive one! I love your gnome! He is too cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathie, he is a cute gnome isn't he?:)

      Delete
  8. Lovely post on your slow approach to the decorating. Mine is very minimal this year. Ah, 4 months old in December 1950, when I'd have been 16 months old, which means you've a big 0 next year. Just wondering if you are in August too. Do make sure the little tree is well looked after, as old things are very precious. The visit to Little Morton Hall is Xmas gift in itself. Take care..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan, yes a big 0 next year and yes I was born near the end of August, I'm guessing you were an August baby too? I am going to look into where I can place the tree in the new year as well as the teddies although I will miss them. Little Moreton is wonderful at this time of year:)

      Delete
  9. My mum has a Christmas tree very similar to that, from the late 60s and she still uses it now!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pam, how lovely that your Mum's tree is still used, my little one was used occasionally at Mum and Dad's house right until the end of the 90s:)

      Delete