Sunday, February 22, 2009

Snowdrops at Hodsock

As I look out of the window this morning at the trees blowing in the gusting wind and the rain spattering across the window, I can hardly believe what a wonderful warm and sunny day yesterday was. Yet it did happen and we sat outside and ate our lunch in the sunshine amongst many others doing exactly the same and all with smiles on our faces, I mean, what more could you want than the wonderful first signs of spring.

The day started early for us as we had an appointment at the Local Studies Library at Chesterfield to look up a report in the local paper regarding the unfortunate and untimely demise of one of Paul's ancestors. After this we collected my sister and brother-in-law and drove to Worksop and then Blyth to find the lovely Hodsock Priory.



Our goal for the day - to see as many snowdrops as possible. Lunches were served in the marquee or on the lawn outside, the queues were long but everyone was happy to wait. We decided to walk around the formal garden first, then have lunch and then follow the woodland walk.



I'm afraid I didn't take many photos mainly because I was just enjoying looking at the garden but also because of the sun, which, although very welcome, did always seem to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Here are just a few of the better ones.










We eventually left around 3.30p.m. tired but happy. What a glorious day it had been.

Meanwhile, I've been tagged by Fern at Fern's Lakeland (link in my sidebar) to choose a photo from one of my folders and talk about it, which I will do in my next post.

12 comments:

  1. What a perfectly lovely goal to have - and so successfully achieved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hurray...for the sun..and what lovely "Spring photo's"the first this year..:))

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a beautiful day wasn't it? I hung out my washing to dry and started to dig a pond! Gizmo was busy chasing waspie things and the sun shone down all day. Your snowdrop walk looked absolutely lovely. We certainly need more days like this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rosie, Your post is so beautiful it almost leaves me speechless! Thank you for taking us on such a marvelous journey;) I love the way you write... I could listen(in my head) to you all day;) I am sorry for your loss...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely post..and all those snowdrops!! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you had a wonderful time. Great pictures. I always like to go on your trips with you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Snowdrops are so appropriately named, aren't they? So pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hodsock Priory is one of those places I've been intending to visit for years but so far I haven't made it. It does look lovely with all those snowdrop varities - lucky you to get a nice day for it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Rosie, You sent me flowers so I sent you sunshine;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rosie,
    thanks for the news re H and M, it is most encouraging! I had no idea.

    Your snowdrop walk looks beautiful, a bit of sunshine is so welcome at this time of year especially.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those photos are gorgeous. I hope we get more days like that soon, we could do with them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful sight, can't beat a few snowdrops...
    Rosie x

    ReplyDelete