Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Day Two

Today's theme for the UK at Home photos is called 'Morning Rush' and these refuse collectors were certainly rushing around this morning intent on getting the job done. We hardly had time to get the cameras switched on before they were halfway down the street, and my attempts were a bit dire so this one is Paul's photo.

You could tell that they were quick because they arrived over half an hour earlier than usual and several people were caught out and rushing to put out their wheelie bins in their dressing gowns and slippers.


On the Book Club Forum one of the topics was 'your ten favourite characters from English Literature.' I had to think really hard about this and I have left several out of my final list but this is what I finally came up with:-

Sydney Carton –
Tale of Two Cities – Charles Dickens
Jane Eyre – Jane Eyre – Charlotte Bronte
Kathy Ellerbeck – A Month in the Country – J L Carr
Obadiah Slope –
The Barchester Chronicles – Anthony Trollope
Captain William Dobbin –
Vanity Fair – W. M. Thackeray
Kester Woodseaves –
Precious Bane – Mary Webb
Elinor Dashwood –
Sense and Sensibility – Jane Austen
Gabriel Oak –
Far from the Madding Crowd – Thomas Hardy
Margaret Hale -
North and South – Elizabeth Gaskell
Dickon -
The Secret Garden – Frances Hodgson Burnett

There are, of course others including:-

Lotty Wilkins - Enchanted April - Elizabeth von Arnim
Margaret Wilcox - Howards End - E M Forster
John Ridd - Lorna Doone - R D Blackmore
Jacob Armitage - The Children of the New Forest - Captain Marryat

Some of my favourite reading as a child there too.

Tomorrow's theme for a photo is 'Midday Madness' - so watch this space!


2 comments:

  1. Rosie, I am impressed by your application, but you've got me thinking about my favourite characters in literature which I will share with you once I have put it together. On first thoughts it going to have a policeman in it (probably Kurt Wallendar) and definately Felix Holt and Esther Lyon from 'Felix Holt' as they go together. I would also have Kathy Ellerbeck. As for others, I've got to go and look in the books as I have difficulty remembering names these days. I'll ask Susan to think about it and send you her list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never read Felix Holt but now you've mentioned detectives you've just reminded me how on earth could I have forgotten Lord Peter Wimsey and Harriet Vane? I can't just stick with ten :)

    Look forward to seeing your list and Susan's too.

    ReplyDelete