Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Spotted in the Last Few Days

Just thought I'd share a few photos taken over the last few days.  It has been too warm to go very far so we've spent quite a bit of time in the garden in the late afternoon and evenings with just a couple of early morning walks or shopping trips making sure we are home by noon.  

Here are a few things I've spotted whilst out and about or in the garden.


 Water Lily on the pond at Consall Nature Park

 Beautiful white horse at the gate of a field on one of our walks

Common Orchid in the Wildflower Meadow at Westport Lake

 Damsel Fly and Yellow Rattle in the wildflower meadow at Westport Lake

 Young Coot at Westport Lake

Barley growing on the bridge over the Trent and Mersey Canal near Westport Lake probably grown from bird seed placed on the bridge.

Seeds from what we think might be Poplar tree draped along the side of the Trent and Mersey Canal near the Wedgwood Factory at Barlaston.  If anyone knows what tree it is please leave a comment to let me know.

Brimstone Moth in the garden on the side of the greenhouse.

Mrs Fox and one of her three cubs late one evening in our garden.

The new bronze sculpture of Stoke-on Trent's most well known Author, Playwright and Essayist Arnold Bennett in front of the Potteries Museum and Art Gallery.  It was commissioned by the Arnold Bennett Society, funded by the Denise Coates Foundation and gifted to the city.  The sculptors were Michael Talbot and Carl Payne.


His most famous works are probably The Card, the Clayhanger Series of Novels and Anna of the Five Towns, there has been a production of Anna of the Five Towns at the New Vic Theatre and an exhibition on Bennett's life and works including his paintings in the Museum.  All to celebrate 150 years since his birth.  He is also well known for Omlette Arnold Bennett which is made with Smoked Haddock, Eggs and Parmesan Cheese.

26 comments:

  1. Lovely set of photos, it's been nice just pottering in the garden. Like you avoiding the afternoon sun.
    Amanda 🐰🐰

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Evenings in the garden have been lovely, Mr Blackbird sings to us and the fox family visit whilst it is still light, the garden needs the rain we have at the moment but I really don't like the accompanying winds:)

      Delete
  2. Yes i think the white fluff is from poplars. Love the fox and cub. Isn't this a beautiful time of year, so much to enjoy. Bx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I googled 'white fluff on trees' and eentually came up with a photo which looked similar so it is good to know that it is poplar seed. It is a lovely time of year:)

      Delete
  3. Lovely photos - and going out early is the best idea. I melted every day when we were away :( Great statue of Arnold Bennett - I remember working my way through his novels when I was in my twenties (long time ago!!!!!). Lovely to see the Common Orchid in the wildflower meadow :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were dashing out to the shops early and also went out for a coupls of walks quite early and tried to walk where there were plenty of trees for shade. The wildflower meadow seemed to have more plant varieties and wildlife in it last year but I guess in another month it will be wonderful:)

      Delete
  4. What a joy to see the fox and her cub. Beautiful photographs, a lovely tour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had the whole family visit a couple of nights ago, the cubs were rolling around and playing at the top of the garden but run away at the slightest movement from man, animal or bird:)

      Delete
  5. I really like the photo of the barley by the canal. I hope that Max is coping with the heat. Thomas sends purrs. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Max is struggling at the moment with some sort of tummy infection, we are visiting the vet again tomorrow to see how we can help him as he seems quite weak at the moment. Hope Thomas continues to be well with his new medication:(

      Delete
  6. Lovely photos, really liked the foxes. Hot here too,so lots of doing nothing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been cooler over the last two or three days so I have managed to hoover through the house, clean inside windows and windowsills and get a huge pile of ironing done which all piled up over those hot, doing nothing days:)

      Delete
  7. I enjoyed seeing all your photos and said "Wow!" aloud when I saw your foxes. When living on the west bank of the Hudson River in upstate NY I once saw a little fox in our backyard near the brambles...no photo to prove it, but an exciting memory :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is lovely to see the foxes and it is a joy that they visit and that the parents feel safe enough in our garden and next door's garden to visit each evening and brig their cubs. You must have been thrilled with the sight of your luttle foxy visitor:)

      Delete
  8. Some lovely shots there, Rosie. It has been too hot for walking, hasn't it but it looks like it's cooling down now. When I finished school, I went to London to see a production of The Card starring Jim Dale which I thoroughly enjoyed. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karen. I must admit I haven't read The Card so don't know the story. I think Imperial Palace, the Clayhanger novels and Anna of the Five Towns are my favourites. The production you saw sounds good:)

      Delete
  9. I've enjoyed this post Rosie as there are many lovely and interesting sights you've captured on your camera over the last few days. I especially liked seeing the orchid and the brimstone moth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been disappointed with a lot of my photos recently, don't know if it is my fairly new camera which I don't seem to be able to manipulate as well as the old one or my eye sight which is getting worse with the cataracts. I was quite pleased to be able to dig out these photos from amongst all the bad ones I'd taken:)

      Delete
  10. A lovely nature-filled post :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You may not have strayed far from home recently, but you still managed to spot some interesting sights in nature. I hope you have some respite from the heat - it is exhausting, isn't it? Enjoy your weekend. Marie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marie. Yes it is cooler now but of course the constant drizzle and strong breeze isn't conducive to getting out into the garden. We are never satisfied with the weather are we? Not too warm but dry would suit me:)

      Delete
  12. Magical white horse Rosie. I am envious of your immaculate green lawn. My grass is overtaken by clover right now but at least the bees love it! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The horse is beautiful isn't it? You should see the lawn now. I took that photo the same day the lawn had been mowed. Looking at it today it's full of buttercups, daisies and the purple of woundwort or self heal which has spread all over since the hot weather:)

      Delete
  13. That's a lovely collection of photos. You are lucky to have the fox and cubs in your garden. Rabbits have moved into mine so my veg and flowers are suffering! I though your photos were excellent. I find it quite hard when the light is so bright :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As much as I love to see rabbits about in the countryside they are not good news for gardens are they? We have a badger visit occasionally so we don't see hedgehogs now which is a shame. But it is lovely to see the foxes, sometimes the whole family of five:)

      Delete