Friday, September 04, 2026

Spotted in Early September

 My birthday flowers from last Friday are still looking good a week later.



Below a few photos from this week.  Mostly animals, birds and signs.

Red Panda at Peak Wildlife Park.  This is the new panda, a male called Nilay.  When the pandas first arrived at the wildlife park there were two sisters Esha and Riya. Now Esha  has been moved to another wildlife park and the male introduced.  They are part of an international captive breeding programme for endangered species.


Red Squirrel at Peak Wildlife Park.  He was more a conker brown than red.  We noticed a few years ago that the red squirrels at Formby in Lancashire were a nut brown colour whereas the ones we saw in Scotland were a definite gingery red colour.


Little Egret on the River Trent at Trentham.  Little Egrets have a black bill.  The Great white and cattle Egrets have yellow bills.



Young Herring Gull at Westport Lake.


A ghost sign in Buxton.  I remember Maypole shops and also Home and Colonial shops from my childhood.  I also remember the first small supermarkets, Fine Fare and  Macfisheries.  Also the small Co-op shops with separate butchers, grocers and electrical goods.  One of my Uncles was manager of a Co-op grocery shop and a cousin worked in a small electrical shop.


I've never seen a warning sign for badgers before.  This one is in the city close to the A50.  I know both urban badgers and foxes are increasing, we have three badgers and a couple of foxes regularly visit our garden.  I guess there is a Badger sett somewhere close to the slip road at Heron Cross.

I'm having problems commenting both on my own blog and others.  Things seem to freeze on publishing, not sure what the problem is or how long it will last.

All for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment