Sunday, October 20, 2024

Clumber Park

In the walled garden and glass house at Clumber Park in Nottinghamshire it was all about Apples, Pumpkins and Squashes.

It was a lovely sunny afternoon

 The apples looked wonderful against the warm red brick walls.  There were many different varieties.

In the Apple store there were boxes full of them for sale but still many windfalls in the garden.

The walls and ceiling were full of bunches of dried flowers and grasses.
 
We missed the Apple day as we were there the day before.  I expect it was very popular.
 

 


In the garden the Auricula theatre had been filled with dried flowers and apples.



In the main entance to the glass house were lots of displays of pumpkins and squashes.





Plenty of places to sit, both inside and out.
 
It was warm enough to sit outside with an ice cream but we decided to head towards the cafe for an afternoon cup of tea.


On the way out of the walled garden I spotted a Medlar tree.
 
I've never tasted a Medlar, Have you?
 
After some refreshment in the cafe, where we reminisced about childhood visits, it was time to walk down to the lakeside through the autumnal trees before we moved on.  I'll be back with more in a second post.

10 comments:

  1. What a lot of colour, so cheery at this time of year. I love all the hanging dried flowers and that great pile of pumpkins, so many different types. It must have been a good year for them. I've never tasted a medlar either, I wonder what they are like. I look forward to the next post. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you CK. The hanging flowers were so pretty and all the squashes and apples so colourful and cheerful in the sunshine. Medlars and Quinces are things I've heard of and seen but never used to cook with, although I have tasted quince jelly, I've never seen or tasted medlar jelly:)

      Delete
  2. I read about some folks who ate medlars and ended up sick for a week. They ended up chopping the remainder up and giving them to the crows, who did just fine with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anonymous, how awful the people were ill after eating the medlars,it sounds as if they are difficult to eat and digest raw, I know you can make a jelly with them for serving with cheese etc. It sounds like the crows had a bonus meal that day:)

      Delete
  3. What a lovely place to visit and so autumnal with all the apples and pumpkins. I love the dried flowers there - if you could purchase them I would have bought a large bunch :) The display in the auricula theatre is lovely too. I haven't eaten medlars but I think they are best picked after a frost and then left for a few weeks before eating. My son has been trying to buy some quinces for a recipe but failed although I think Waitrose may sell them but it is a long way to the nearest Waitrose!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Caroline, it was so lovely and seasonal, helped by the sunshine and all the colours. The dried flowers were wonderful, I didn't notice if they were for sale. I saw some quinces for sale somewhere recently, possibly a farm shop? We do visit Waitrose in Uttoxeter occasionally so it may have been there. I hope your son can find some to make up the recipe:)

      Delete
  4. What a lovely seasonal place to visit. I would love to try a medlar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you B, a medlar would be something different to try, perhaps a medlar jelly to see what they taste like. Clumber Park was a childhood playground before it was owned by NT we used to picnic there, play ball games, watch cricket and walk under the trees. All so different now:)

      Delete
  5. Rosie, I have been there! With my sisters, August 2019. It was absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Granny Sue, how wonderful that you have visited. It's one of our childhood haunts. Family gatherings by car, parking under the trees, blankets and picnics, walks and games most weekends. It was free to enter in those days, nearer the centre a man would come round and collect a bit of parking money. Other weeks we would visit Edwinstowe and Sherwood Forest:)

      Delete