Friday, January 03, 2014

Old Glossop

Yesterday we were off photographing churches again for Paul's family history website.  It was a lovely day, especially after the wet weather of New Year's Day.  We started out at the furthest point and worked our way back.


Our first stop was Glossop, a town in the High Peak area of Derbyshire, where we found the old parish church of All Saints in a part of the town called Old Glossop which is like a separate village with a distinct character of its own.   The area above is called Old Cross.


There are some wonderful old buildings around the church, small terraces and larger houses too


There were lots of winding, cobbled lanes


and a stream running through just round the corner from the Old Cross


There was evidence of the old pre-industrial revolution crafts and trades in the buildings that remained, like the old mill buildings.  I would have liked to explore more and discover more of the history of this 'village' within a larger industrial town.


It's no wonder that the BBC used this part of Glossop as one of their locations for the Drama series 'The Village'

Our next stop for taking photos was the nearby village Hayfield, which we had visted a few years ago before we had digital cameras, so we wanted to return and take some new photos of the church.  Interestingly Hayfield was also used as a location for 'The Village' - more in a later post.

31 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Willow! It was a lovely part of the town - just like a sperate little village:)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Glad you found it interesting. Happy New year to you too:)

      Delete
  3. I really must stop in Glossop one day and look round Old Glossop. So far I've always thought of it as being rather grim as I drive through on my way to the M62 and up to the Lancashire coast. You've made it look rather attractive and interesting:) Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of the main town does look a bit care worn in places but this little area is fascinating. If you do venture into Glossop you go up past the station and follow the signs to the right further up that road it's quite a way and there is a little parking near the stream:)

      Delete
  4. It was a lovely day to be out, I went to Buxton for an hour that afternoon. These photos are lovely, I love Glossop, it's where my dad lived when he was small.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always like Glossop but had only ever visited the main town - this little part was a nice surprise:)

      Delete
  5. We don't get round to Derbyshire much, shame really as its so pretty! must make amends and visit again this year. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same about Yorkshire, Lyn. Hope you get to visit Derbyshire this year:)

      Delete
  6. Old Glossop looks lovely and it's not a million miles from here. I might plan a day out soom. Thanks for the tour. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you do visit follow the road past the station and turn right at the signs for 'Old Glossop' and 'parish church' further up that road - it's quite a way along the road but worth the detour from the main town:)

      Delete
  7. Lovely picturesque place. I bet it will look even more lovely in the spring! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet it looks gorgeous in Spring, Simone:)

      Delete
  8. Old Glossop looks a very interesting place to wander around. I love those cobbled lanes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cobbled pathways certainly added to the historic feel of the place and it was lovely wandering around the old buildings:)

      Delete
  9. What a beautiful town - it looks like something out of a costume drama! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't it? No wonder they used it for filming:)

      Delete
  10. Lovely photos, I remember The Village on TV although never saw the end!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The end was very sad, Jay. I think there is to be a second series going beyond WWI:)

      Delete
  11. It looks just the way that somewhere called Glossop should look somehow! Not sure what that means, but it just seems to fit the name. It looks like a lovely place for a visit, shame it is so far away from me. One day.... xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean! I love some of the old English place names and finding out the origins behind them:)

      Delete
  12. This looks a lovely place to visit Rosie and so picturesque. Look forward to seeing your next visit. Thank you for your comment on my last post about me being me, it was much appreciated.
    Patricia x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, Patricia. I always enjoy visiting your blog. I will write a post soon about the next village we visited:)

      Delete
  13. You chose a good day to go out and take photos. The mid-winter light is lovely. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jan - it was a lovely day amongst all the dreary ones:)

      Delete
  14. Such an interesting place- your photos really do give us a virtual tour:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish we'd had the time to stay longer, maybe we'll go back one day and explore a bit further:)

      Delete
  15. I've been to Hayfield (and love it) but I've not been here before. One to save for Spring I think. It looks lovley . Happy New Year to you and Paul xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I'll write about Hayfield next I think. Happy New Year to you and yours, Diane:)

      Delete
  16. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete