Thursday, September 16, 2010

A Quick Diversion

Around the garden.
Things have been happening in the garden since our return from holiday.


The pumpkins are growing and hardening up but are still a pale yellow colour - will they darken over the next month do you think?  We've never grown them before so I'm not sure what to expect.  Whilst in the West Country I saw some in a garden that had tuned orange.  Perhaps here further north it will take longer?  Or maybe we bought seeds of a variety that stay yellow? 


In the summer I bought a tray of six hollyhocks for £2 - this is the only survivor and it is very slug bitten but at last it has flowered.  I'd love to grow these in our garden but always seem to struggle with them.  I think I have to accept that they won't grow in our damp, clay soil - even if, like this one, we keep them in a pot.

The sedum has finally turned pink - this usually happens at the end of August and they are usually covered with butterflies - I haven't seen any on there this year.  

Sorry, not a good photo of the honeysuckle and clematis which climb up and around the side fence.  We thought we'd lost the clematis but it has flowered whilst we've been away.

We seem to be able to grow plenty of these japanese anemones both pink and white and they always cheer me up when I see them.

I put the little bird feeder cups near the bird bath as the blue tits and coal tits pop in and out of the holly hedge to feed and splash in the bath but the local squirrel has found them.   Watch out squirrel!  It's behind you!  Chloe loves chasing squirrels!


We've had loads of sparrows this year - we can easily count 20 at any one time - they roost in the bushes and take turns to fly out and eat from the feeder.   We've had fun watching them!

There was something else in the garden this morning!  Here is a link to Paul's blog so you can see what it was.

8 comments:

  1. The squirrel photo is fab!!! Your garden is still looking lovely. Off to have a look at Pauls blog. xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! The squirrel looks like he's hanging on for dear life... while pillaging the feeders!

    Re: Hollyhocks.... I never have any luck with them either. I've bought them for several years.... and don't have a single one left to show for it!

    Your garden looks lovely... as always :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's no shortage of sparrows in my garden either. Let's hope the numbers are increasing. I like how Chloe is in your photo, and creeping up on that squirrel. They really can be pests! The butterflies will discover your sedum sooner or later, and the bees too. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your pumpkins/squash may just be a yellow variety Rosie. I have grown orange pumpkins in the past and they were orangey tinged before they matured. You can also get blue pumpkins! Your garden is looking lovely. I have just been to Pauls blog. I bet you were astonished to see such a beautiful creature in your garden!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Rosie, great shots of the lovely inhabitants of your garden!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I havn't seen any butterflies on our sedums either.We also have lots of sparrows here in N Wales.They were in decline so let's hope that is changing.It is costing me a fortune in bird feed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I havn't seen any butterflies on our sedums either.We also have lots of sparrows here in N Wales.They were in decline so let's hope that is changing.It is costing me a fortune in bird feed!

    ReplyDelete