Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Spooky Soup

I turned once again to my favourite cook book, Rosamond Richardson's 'Seasonal Pleasures - Recipes from a Farmhouse Kitchen' to find a recipe for pumpkin soup. She didn't disappoint me.



Her recipe serves 8 people so I halved the quantities. I also substituted the butter with olive oil and the double cream with half fat creme fraiche.

Spooky Soup

2 large onions, sliced.
2 oz butter

1lb pumpkin flesh
8oz turnip, sliced
12 oz carrots, sliced
3pts vegetable stock
salt and pepper
ground nutmeg
half pint of double cream

Saute the onions in the butter in a large saucepan until they soften. Cook for about 10 minutes but don't let them brown. Add pumpkin flesh, turnips and carrots and stir until the vegetables are well coated with the onions. Cook gently for five minutes to soften them, then stir in the stock and bring to the boil. Simmer for fifteen minutes, then liquidize to a puree. Season to taste with salt, pepper and nutmeg, Stir in the cream. Heat through and the soup is ready to serve.




The smell of freshly ground nutmeg is wonderful.



The finished product served with chunks of Paul's home made bread and glasses of apple juice. It was very tasty and there is some left for tomorrow.



Paul couldn't resist reliving his childhood and made a face in the hollow pumpkin, so tonight I'm going to put a candle or tea light in there but first I'm going to make another of Rosamond's Halloween recipes - Devil's Cake. I'll report back on this one tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. I would be more impressed if the bowls had been empty!

    No, seriously, I think you should have called this blog 'Artist at Work'. It all looked very scrummy.

    Love

    Robert

    ReplyDelete
  2. The soup looks good, must try the recipe. Like the carved pumpkin too - rather more stylish than my efforts!

    ReplyDelete