Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Just One of the Daily Five

Yesterday I was able to cut some of the first rhubarb of the season. I must admit that it isn't one of my absolute favourite fruits; those being gooseberries, plums, raspberries and apricots, but I'm always pleased to see it in the garden as, along with the little wriggling tadpoles in the pond, it means it really is Spring.


The one thing I do love about rhubarb is the colour which is spectacular; it always amazes me that the green stems, underneath the red skin, when chopped and made into jam, turn the most wonderful deep pink in colour and make the jam look twice as appetising as it would do if green.


The next fruits in the garden will be gooseberries and black currants and then later, plums. Having these fruits in the garden makes it so much easier to eat the recommended five portions of fruit and vegetables a day.

Also spotted in the garden yesterday was a peacock butterfly, a five-spot ladybird and a red-bottomed bee. Plus three lazy cats enjoying themselves, of course.

2 comments:

  1. It's beautiful!
    I have never tried rhubarb...I don't know why!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore rhubarb and actually eat it raw WITHOUT sugar! I loke lemons too....hmmmmmmm always was strange! LOL!
    Your blog inspired me today.
    Do check out my garden blog - I need all the help I can get!

    ReplyDelete