My birthday flowers from last Friday are still looking good a week later.
Below a few photos from this week. Mostly animals, birds and signs.
Red Panda at Peak Wildlife Park. This is the new panda, a male called Nilay. When the pandas first arrived at the wildlife park there were two sisters Esha and Riya. Now Esha has been moved to another wildlife park and the male introduced. They are part of an international captive breeding programme for endangered species.
Red Squirrel at Peak Wildlife Park. He was more a conker brown than red. We noticed a few years ago that the red squirrels at Formby in Lancashire were a nut brown colour whereas the ones we saw in Scotland were a definite gingery red colour.
Little Egret on the River Trent at Trentham. Little Egrets have a black bill. The Great white and cattle Egrets have yellow bills.
Young Herring Gull at Westport Lake.
A ghost sign in Buxton. I remember Maypole shops and also Home and Colonial shops from my childhood. I also remember the first small supermarkets, Fine Fare and Macfisheries. Also the small Co-op shops with separate butchers, grocers and electrical goods. One of my Uncles was manager of a Co-op grocery shop and a cousin worked in a small electrical shop.
I've never seen a warning sign for badgers before. This one is in the city close to the A50. I know both urban badgers and foxes are increasing, we have three badgers and a couple of foxes regularly visit our garden. I guess there is a Badger sett somewhere close to the slip road at Heron Cross.
I'm having problems commenting both on my own blog and others. Things seem to freeze on publishing, not sure what the problem is or how long it will last.
All for now.
Happy belated birthday. Yes I’ve had commenting problems too but hopefully they are fixed now π€π» B x
ReplyDeleteThank you B, comments seem to be okay now but updating of blogs on the reading list seems to still be very slow:)
DeleteTrying again to leave a comment Rosie as I had no luck yesterday!
ReplyDeleteA belated Happy Birthday - I hope you had a great day and the flowers are lovely.
Wonderful to see the Red Panda and Red Squirrel :)
I have seen a badger road sign like that in Niton, Isle of Wight, where they have a large population of badgers. Daughter saw two last June.
Have a good weekend and hope this comment publishes!
Thank you Caroline, apparently there was a problem with commenting for a day or so, all seems to be fixed now. Both squirrels and pandas are gorgeous aren't they? Good to know there are other signs re the badgers, they visited here last night digging for worms, there must be quite a few urban ones across the city, but then there are lots of green spaces here for them to survive in :)
DeleteHappy Birthday! What beautiful flowers. Your red animals have beautiful coats, that dark red squirrel tail is stunning. Oh yes, those shop names are very familiar. It's always a Spar that you find in the wilds, just when you need to stock up for a holiday cottage holiday or just a bar of chocolate to get you up the next hill. π
ReplyDeleteThank you CK, I always have a 'birthday week' but will take my cards down today. We once saw a spar shop at the end of the Llyn peninsula in Wales, close to the sea. There was a heron sat on its roof watching the fish shop next door:)
DeleteBelated birthday wishes, Rosie. Your flowers are gorgeous. X
ReplyDeleteThank you Jules, they are still hanging on, I've only had to weed out a few that had dropped petals:)
DeleteThe roses are beautiful, Rosie. Sending you my belated birthday wishes and hope you had a great day. Lovely to see the Red panda and Red squirrel, such pretty creatures.
ReplyDeleteI had that Blogger problem as well at the end of last week but it seems to have sorted itself out now.
Thank you Beverley, I had a good birthday, a lovely lunch with friends. I'm very fond of the Red Pandas, I'm always thrilled if we see one or both on our visits. Thank goodness the comment problem was sorted out:)
Delete