Friday, August 28, 2026

In the Garden

 The Tulip Tree has been having an early Autumn.  


There are leaves everywhere.

We are gradually taking out some of the old, unproductive raised beds to create a new space.  We'll think about what to replace them with through the rest of this year.  New higher, raised beds that badgers can't get into? A flat seating area?  A new shed in which to keep the garden furniture over Winter?  A summer house or gazebo?  We'll see.


The Holly hedge along the back of the garden has lots of red berries.  I think Autumn has arrived early this year.


There are lots of apples on the tree.  Many were removed a few weeks ago but there are still lots of fruit weighing the branches down.  We've had to prop them up with canes to stop them snapping off.


I'm not sure when they will be ready but I think they will be much smaller this year.  I miss the plum tree we had to take down a few years ago as I'm fond of Victoria plums at this time of year.  I'd love to have a Damson or Greengage tree.  Fruit trees seem to grow well in this garden.


 I think the apples and the holly berries are the most colourful things in the garden at the moment.  All is very dull and dreary after the hot weather.  We've lost Hydrangeas, Japanese Anemones and peonies, all brown with crumbling papery leaves.  I'm hoping some of them may revive next year.


What we do have now is rain.  At last!  


Much needed of course to fill up the pond and the water butts.


Of course it is a holiday weekend here.  I don't think we'll be going very far, so it's a good job I've got three library books to read.  Oops, Wilfred sneaked into the photo.  He came as a free gift when I ordered a jacket on line about three years ago.

Have a lovely, peaceful weekend everyone, wherever you are.

10 comments:

  1. I think you are right Rosie we are going to have an early autumn. I am sure you will have a lot of fun deciding what to do with the new space you have created :) That is a great crop of apples. Sadly, the apple tree in the caravan garden has dropped an awful lot of fruit in recent months.

    Thankfully, we had a lot of rain yesterday too. I like Wilfred Bear :) Have a good bank holiday weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Caroline, I'm looking forward to the apples, hope your tree at the caravan will produce some fruit for you, ours hasn't dropped any fruit yet at all, not sure if this is a good or bad sign as I know they do drop naturally, but with the weather this summer there must be extra stress. I must read up about apple trees:) Hope you have a lovely weekend:)

      Delete
  2. After the hot and dry summer you've had, the rain is so refreshing. Your apples are beautiful. Gardens need tending in small ways and sometimes in larger ones. Enjoy thinking about the possibilities!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lorrie, great to have the rain, the water butts are full again and the pond looks a lot healthier. I'm looking forward to the apples, I love to see them clustering along the branches. There's lots to consider for the newly created space:)

      Delete
  3. It's been a funny old year! All our tomatoes have ripened at the same time and are nearly done already instead of going on to October. You apples look great maybe they will taste different this year. You have lots of leaves already. I wonder what you'll do to your garden, so many choices! I suppose it's time to consider different plants to cope with our new climate, grasses etc. ๐Ÿ˜Š

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you CK, yes it has been an odd year. I'm looking forward to tasting an apple to see what they are like and finding same blackberries to go with them. Our golden sunrise tomatoes have been delicious but the plum tomatoes have never grown and are still like little red marbles, with tough skins:)

      Delete
  4. Wow! That looks like a heavy downpour of rain. It has been so dry here, that the trees have begun to lose their leaves much earlier than usual. It's starting to look like autumn, but the temperature is still very warm. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jules, I took that photo from the window during the first downpour we had - it was quite fierce. It is starting to have an autumnal feel now and the thermometer is back down to normal temperatures:)

      Delete
  5. Those downpours have been so welcome and the forecast is for more here this week too. My waterbutts have already filled and the garden is loving the freshness of rain. It was good to see your rainy photos. ๐Ÿ˜Š
    It's fun to start making new design plans for the garden and I look forward to seeing what you do next year.
    Autumn does seem to be arriving quicker this year and the leaves on trees and other plants have been falling much earlier. However your Holly berries are looking wonderful.
    Have a lovely week, Rosie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beverley. It was wonderful to have that first downpour and then the days of gentle rain after. It does feel cooler and fresher in the mornings now and of course dusk is earlier again and darkness falls by nine p.m. Hope you too have a lovely week ahead:)

      Delete