Five random things to ponder upon on a Friday.
The Marigolds in the jug were taken out of the greenhouse where they had been companion plants for the tomatoes. I love their bright colour but I had a feeling that they weren't seen as joyful flowers so I looked them up in the language of flowers. Apparently in Victorian England they were seen as flowers of grief or despair, oh dear - but in Hindu and Mexican cultures they represent the warmth of the sun (well we certainly have that) positive energy and creativity. I'll go with that one.
On a recent visit to a stately home (of which more later) we found this unusual monument in the nearby churchyard. I've tried to find out more about it but with little success. It is covered in moss which was bright green in the sunlight. It was under a tree near a wall and was quite small. Is it a child's grave? It also looks a bit like an 18th century clergyman's collar with his two preaching bands at the neck, or am I dreaming? Does anyone have any ideas?
I've been enjoying reading in the afternoons or late evenings. The Museum of Second Chances by Jo Leevers I enjoyed very much. I've taken another book out of the library written by her and hope it will be as good. The Burning Tide by William Shaw is also from the library. It's the second of his Eden Driscoll series set in Teignmouth in Devon and I've just started reading it. Memories of childhood holidays in Teignmouth and Shaldon drifting through my mind when the author mentions certain places. A Year on the Fosse by Rick Thompson has been on my list for ages and I decided to treat myself to a copy. The Fosse Way is a Roman road, 230 miles long that runs between Lincoln and Exmouth in Devon. We recently watched a tv documentary by Tom Fort called A303: Highway to the Sun in which he mentions the Fosse Way, seeing this reminded me of the book. It was a programme we'd seen before but we enjoyed it a second time. The Hawk is Dead by Peter James is a DCI Roy Grace novel, the derailing of the royal train just outside Brighton takes the detective up to London and into the very highest echelons searching for clues.
Two of our Heritage pottery attractions are closing or have been closed for filming. The Gladstone Pottery Museum will be closing soon for filming of The Great Pottery Throwdown which I always enjoy watching.
Middleport Pottery was closed for a few days last month for the filming of a new series called The Cadburys. I assume about the chocolate manufacturers. I know that another Birmingham set series, Peaky Blinders, has done some filming there once or twice.
As well as reading I've been pottering with family history. I recently found out that an ancestor was a Chelsea pensioner.
Thomas Parker served with the 3rd regiment of foot guards from 1798 to 1820 before being discharged after suffering a head wound whilst in Holland. As this was during the time of the Napoleonic Wars I'm intrigued to find out more.
All for now.


The marigolds are so pretty Rosie and I too would go with the idea that they represent the warmth of the sun! The monument in the churchyard is so very unusual - I wish I could help with more information but I have never seen anything like it before. I hope you can find out more or someone else can help.
ReplyDeleteThe books look good. In the past you have given me so many ideas of new authors to try so I will check these books out. It is interesting about the pottery museums being used for filming. My son and I once went to the Gladstone Pottery Museum and loved it there.
Have a good weekend.
Thank you Caroline, I love the colour of the marigolds, so cheering in the windowsill. The Gladstone Museum is wonderful, it's a shame though that it has to close for a while as the main Potteries Museum is also closed for refurbishment- I think a small section is open for the café, Spitfire gallery and archives. Hope you too have a good weekend:)
DeleteI was so intrigued by the monument in the churchyard that I asked a church crawling friend who recognised it. If it is from Sudbury it is the grave of a young boy. Hope that helps if the churchyard is correct! Perhaps dressed in school uniform?
ReplyDeleteOh Caroline, thank you so much, that's wonderful and thank you too to your church crawling friend. It was so kind of you to do that. Yes, it was Sudbury. It is intriguing isn't it? I can quite see now how it might be a child in a school uniform, a church school no doubt as it does look ecclesiastical. I'd never seen anything like it before. I wonder who the poor unfortunate boy was? Thanks once again:)
DeleteThanks Rosie. I hope you didn't mind me asking her. She visited the church years ago apparently and remembered it. She seemed to think there might be more information on it in the church itself.
DeleteGlad to read your problem has been solved. I did think either a child's grave or maybe a suicide as they were often buried close to church walls. Marigolds are so cheerful and very good at keeping pests away from tomatoes and carrots. Xx
ReplyDeleteThank you Gill, it wasn't far from the wall between the church and the grounds of the hall, it was quite intriguing. I must try and find out more. The marigolds are such a lovely colour, I'm enjoying seeing them when I'm at the sink:)
DeleteYour posy of marigolds is bright and cheery. I always plant them in my garden to keep the pests away. I'm glad you've had some answers about the interesting gravestone. The carving is still very clear, isn't it?
ReplyDeleteThank you Lorrie, the marigolds are very pleasing and cheerful. I was grateful to find out more about the little gravestone, I'm now intrigued to find out more if I can about the little boy it represents:)
DeleteSnap. Read A Year on the Fosse by Rick Thompson a few months ago. I was going to offer it to you but no need now. Not quite what it says on the cover. Lousy geography and more like a collection of articles, all enjoyable in themselves. I love the Fosse and I am amazed no one has ever made a documentary about it. And of course it passes through Leicester where my favourite stretch of city road in England is - The Golden Mile. Prompting me to find the time to write about it again. Thank you for that Rosie❤️🐰
ReplyDeleteThank you Robert, I don't know where I found the reference to the Fosse book, perhaps it was on your substack? I haven't started it yet as I'm still in Teignmouth with the Eden Driscoll mystery. I remember going to a restaurant on the Golden Mile with you and Susan, was it Bobby's? I'll have a go at it as soon as I've read both library books as there is a time limit on those:)
DeleteI love the Pottery throw down, I suppose it will be back after Christmas, which is already getting closer! Ha! The marigolds are stunning. I tried to see if Google Lens could find more information on the unusual grave, one person said it was for a boy who died in 1709 but there was no indication of where they got that from or whether it was correct. Fancy having a Chelsea Pensioner in the family, how interesting. 😊
ReplyDeleteThank you CK, I love the Pottery throwdown too. I think there is a Christmas celebrity one but I'm guessing it is the main one that is to start filming soon. Wow, you have found out more than I could about the grave stone, 1709, I sort of felt it looked 18th century. Caroline above found some information too, that it was a boy, possibly in school uniform. Apparently there is more in the church which was closed the day we visited Sudbury Hall, we must return and look for more. Thank you again:)
DeleteThat memorial looks very old and quite intriguing. Like the sound of all those books :). B x
ReplyDeleteThank you B, one or two kind people have found out some things about the memorial for me. I seem to be doing a lot of reading at the moment whilst it is still so warm:)
DeleteI've had The Museum of Second Chances on my TBR pile for a while now, I'll move it to the top. I always enjoying seeing what you read.
ReplyDeleteAmalia
xo
Thank you Amalia, it's a lovely story and I liked the characters, I hope you enjoy it:)
DeleteWhen I first saw the marigolds I immediately thought sunshine. They are very bright and beautiful.
ReplyDeleteThe little monument in the churchyard is intriguing and it is interesting what others have found out about it so far.
Finding out that you have an ancestor who was a Chelsea Pensioner during the Napoleonic Wars is also pretty special. I hope you find more information about him in your research.
Have a good week.
Thank you Beverley. The marigolds have been so cheerful on the kitchen windowsill. We visited Sudbury a couple of weeks ago inspired by your recent visit and spotted the monument in the churchyard, it was quite intriguing. I think Thomas Parker received his pension from when he was discharged in 1820 until his death in 1858, quite a long time. I want to find out more about where his regiment were stationed in Europe:)
DeleteYour photos are lovely! The memorial is fascinating.
ReplyDeleteThank you Linda, it is a fascinating thing isn't it?:)
DeleteThose are really lovely marigolds, Rosie! I love the smell of marigolds,
ReplyDeleteI must try a couple of those books. Right now I am immersed in This is Happiness by Niall Williams. It is such a wonderful read that I am really taking my time, enjoying the richness of his writing.
I hope you are well, and staying cool!
Thank you Granny Sue, the marigolds do have a fresh smell, the other variety we have in the greenhouse have darker dual colours and are not so cheerful looking. It's good when you find a book you can enjoy reading and never want to end, it's rare nowadays to find something so engrossing. Stay safe in those storms:)
Delete