Friday, May 31, 2024

Five from Dorothy Clive

I'm taking you back to last week and our visit to the Dorothy Clive Gardens.  A couple of posts ago I showed you the Laburnum Arch at the top of the garden which was very beautiful but there were lots of other things that caught my eye during the visit.

1. Water

The Pond which is the first thing you find as you enter from the bottom car park.

The Waterfall is sited in the quarry garden which at this time of year is full of Rhododendrons and bird song.
 

 2. Shady Trees and Twisty Paths

Seats under shady trees

Shade at the top of the garden at the end of the Azaleia walk.


It was cool and quite magical along the path under the trees.


Paths in the quarry garden were covered in fallen petals.  A colourful confetti.

 3. Foxgloves and Alliums

There are foxgloves everywhere at the moment, it seems to be a good year for them.
 

I love the patterns inside the bell shape flowers.

Lots and lots of Alliums around too
 
Large, small, mauve, purple and white. 
 

A sight for sore eyes, as the saying goes.
 

I'd love to have some in our garden but they don't seem to like our soil.

4. Azaleias and Rhododendrons

 

I'll let them speak for themselves.

All just a riot of colour.
 
Some were scented too.

 

5. Views.

Views out from the garden over the Staffordshire countryside.  When we first moved to Staffordshire in the late 90s, we lived in a village not far away, we rented until our house in South Lincolnshire sold.  We eventually bought the property we live in now and moved into the city to be close to work.

View across a Barley field.  When we lived nearby we took out a year's membership and often spent Sunday mornings walking in the gardens and having elevenses in the cafe.

Buttercup Meadow - a view from the top of the garden off the Azaleia walk.
 
Well, it's the end of May, it has passed by so quickly.  Tomorrow we move into the first of the Summer months. 
I'll see you in June, I hope.


16 comments:

  1. This garden will have to go on my list of places to visit when we venture further North. It looks wonderful, so much to see and enjoy. I love the windy path through the trees and the blossom covered path and the great views as well. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you CK. It is a lovely garden to visit and only a couple of miles further up the road is Bridgemere Garden World. It is a Blue Diamond garden centre with show gardens and it will play host to the Octavia Hill Garden, the joint BD and NT garden that won awards at Chelsea this year. I'm looking forward to seeing that:)

      Delete
  2. What a lovely garden. Have you tried growing alliums in pots? I have a few and they seem to be doing OK. If you cut the heads off once they have finished flowering, they should come back the following year (a grower at RHS Chelsea gave us that tip).
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ellie, pots may be the only way, we have to keep Lupins and Dahlias in pots to. We had a small Allium in the garden but it has disappeared this year. Good advice from the grower too:)

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful garden - I must check where it is. The azaleas and rhododendrons are giving a marvellous display and I love alliums and foxgloves - so good for pollinators. I've not tried to grow alliums at home but we do have a lot of foxgloves. I have a pot of mini alliums at the caravan which were in bud when we were last there. Take care Rosie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you RR. The garden is on the A51 between Newcastle-under-Lyme and Nantwich, it's a road I like to travel on as it passes from Staffordshire into Shropshire and then into Cheshire in just a few miles. A little further along the road, just past the village of Woore, is Bridgemere Garden World, which is also worth a visit, a garden centre but with show gardens. They are going to have the Octavia Hill garden, which won awards at Chelsea this year, sited there at some point:)

      Delete
  4. What a glorious garden at its best. The foxgloves have done well everywhere this year I think. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you B. It is a lovely garden and not too large that you can't see it all. Foxgloves are everywhere and looking wonderful, we even have a few in our garden:)

      Delete
  5. My goodness, those gardens are spectacular! Your photos took my breath away. Wouldn't i love to visit there one day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Granny Sue. They are lovely gardens and surrounded by lovely countryside too:)

      Delete
  6. A gorgeous visit! I wish I was nearer to visit.
    I have to say that this year the Azaleas and Rhododendrons in our garden have been superb, this year…and not forgetting the foxgloves ( my favourite!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sal. It is a lovely garden. Our two Rhodendrons have been beautiful this year and full of flowers:)

      Delete
  7. So much colour! I like those seats that hug around the bottom of the tree trunks. Magnificent views out from the garden. I hope you are doing well Rosie. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simone. I'm okay, just not very enthused to write about anything at the moment. I hope you are well and happy:)

      Delete
  8. After reading your post and seeing your photos I really must visit this lovely garden again. It is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beverley. It is a lovely garden especially at this time of year:)

      Delete