Wednesday, November 08, 2023

To the Spitfire

Recently we ventured up to the city centre to visit the Spitfire Gallery at the museum.  The Potteries Museum and Art Gallery can be found in what is signposted along all routes into the centre as The Cultural Quarter.  We also wanted to see the new library which had moved from its old 1960s building into one of the new buildings on the Smithfield site, an area where there used to be a pottery factory.

Before we went into the Museum we wandered around the newer buildings.

The new library opened at Two Smithfield last week.  It is quite spacious inside, fiction and children's books downstairs and non fiction on the upper level. There are lots of computer points and tables on both levels.  The archives part of the old library building will now be housed within the museum, opening in Spring next year.
 
Opposite the new library is the Mitchell Arts Centre.  Local man Reginald Mitchell (1895 - 1937) was the designer of the Spitfire hence the name of the cafe there.
 
Further along the road is the Regent Theatre.  Behind it is Victoria Hall a largish but not huge concert venue. I have to admit I've only been inside the Victoria Hall once when we went to see Simon Callow's one man show on Charles Dickens.   We've been to the Regent Theatre a few times but not recently.
 

Back on Smithfield - a new hotel.
 
One Smithfield was inspired by the designs of local potter and ceramic designer Clarice Cliff.  Talking of Clarice Cliff we recently saw the film 'The Colour Room' about her early years in the pottery industry.  I really enjoyed it.  Lots of it was filmed locally.
 
A small fragment of what is left of the old Smithfield Factory one of the city's most iconic shapes.  The bottle oven or pot bank.
 
The back of the Potteries Museum - the Spitfire is behind the large window.
By now it was well past 10a.m. and the Museum was open.
 
The Spitfire has been decorated with over a thousand poppies made by the 'Let's Make Jam' Women's Institue.

The WI have made the poppies from  wool, felt and paracord.
 
The poppies are sewn onto cargo netting except for the wreath.

The poppies will be on display until Sunday 12th November.


All for now.

 

 

18 comments:

  1. That looks a good visit, Rosie. You must have been keen to see what they had made of the Smithfield site, lots there to enjoy and go back to again and again. Great to see the poppies on the Spitfire, very apt. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'd seen the site as we passed by and also as we visited the museum but never ventured to look around, they have lots of events on there like outdoor cinema, theatre etc:)

      Delete
  2. A perfect venue to visit at this time of year. I’m going to check out that film about Clarice Cliff. Looks like it’s time I paid a visit with so much to enjoy :) B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good film if you can get to see it, it is on DVD now as well. I enjoyed looking at the new building more closely than just passing by in the car:)

      Delete
  3. So much to see in tbe area! The poppies, so touching. Nice post, Rosie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The poppies are quite stunning and yes, touching too:)

      Delete
  4. Love the Spitfire draped in poppies - a pity more weapons of war can't be out to that purpose. Clarice Cliff is a name that I only know through watching too many episodes of Bargain Hunt while looking after my mother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The poppies are special there, we never learn from history do we? There are so many antique shows on TV I've seen Antiques Road Trip a few times. There always seems to be a frisson of excitement when anything by Clarice Cliff or Moorcroft appears:)

      Delete
  5. Some really interesting buildings with mix of old and new. The poppy display with the spitfire seems very apt. Hope you have a good weekend Rosie. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes,a good mix as there are some older buildings the other side of the Museum. I still can't leave you a comment Simone - I hope you have a lovely weekend too:)

      Delete
    2. I don't know why comments are playing up. I suppose you could try to leave a comment under 'anonymous' and just put your name at the end? I don't know what else to suggest. Blogger can be such a nuisance can't it?

      Delete
    3. It won't even let me do that Simone, just a blue bar asking me to log in which I press and it takes me back to the blue bar again. On some other blogs I get the option of anonymous so I can write my name at the end but on yours and a couple of others I can't. I'm not sure how to fix it as it says something about my browser but I try from both laptop and ipad which is a different browser and it is still the same. Blogger is so frustrating at the moment:)

      Delete
  6. A really moving poppy display on the spitfire Rosie. I quite like some of Clarice Cliff's items :) Lovely to see the bottle oven - it reminds me of my trip to the Gladstone Pottery Museum. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked the poppies, we thought we'd like to see them before they are taken down. I think there are about 47 bottle ovens left across the six towns of the city when there used to be hundreds. Parts of The Colour Room were filmed at the Gladstone Museum. You too have a good weekend:)

      Delete
  7. Looks like a good visit. I love the building that looks like stained glass....sooooooo pretty. The Spitfire looks so small, making what they accomplished even more admirable. What a moving display. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The building is certainly different and stands out from the others. I think pilots of both world wars were very brave especially those in the flimsy bi-planes. Glad you enjoyed the photos:)

      Delete
  8. A very poignant display of poppies on the Spitfire. It looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did look wonderful and very apt for that weekend:)

      Delete