Friday, September 29, 2023

Sutton Hoo - Part One

We finally got to see Sutton Hoo,  Anglo Saxon Royal burial ground, after years of wanting to visit.  It was a lovely day, sunny and dry which was good as there are lots of walks around the site.  

After parking the car we decided to have coffee before looking around following the maps we had been given at the visitor welcome point.  I also bought the guide book above.
 
We decided to walk to the burial mounds first.  It was here in 1939 on the eve of war that the remains of an ancient ship were found.  The excavation happened because the owner of the site  Edith Pretty recruited a local self taught archaeologist, Basil Brown, to investigate the various mounds on her property.  The finds of both ship and grave goods came as a complete surprise to both of them. 

Of course there is far more to this fascinating story which you learn as you go round the site.  Basil Brown was joined by William Spooner, gamekeeper, John Jacobs, gardener and Bert Fuller, labourer before staff from Ipswich Museum got involved and then archaeologists from further afield.

The burial mounds can be seen from the viewing tower and there are guided tours around the site so you can see more closely from ground level.

From the burial ground we walked through the wooded area and across the rabbit fields towards Tranmer House which was the home of Edith Pretty.
 
Apparently you can rent a holiday appartment in the house through the National Trust.  That would prove interesting.

The sitting room with window overlooking the burial mounds in the distance.

In one of the rooms there were films and photos from the excavations that have taken place over the years.

The ship in situ when it was found.
 
From the house we decided to try out the new King's River walk down to the River Deben.  It was from this river that the boat, probably containing the body of a person of status locally, would have been dragged towards its burial place.
Many people think that the body was that of Raedwald, King of East Anglia who died around  625AD/CE.

I'll be back with more of that walk and the views across the River Deben towards Woodbridge where we will visit and find the building of a replica of the Sutton Hoo ship in The Long Shed.
 
 
I'm having problems with blogger at the moment and I know one or two of you are too.  I can't leave comments on some of your blogs however I try also there are one or two blogs I'd like to add to my sidebar which I can't seem to do.  I hope things are put right soon.  Meanwhile I will keep trying.

 

26 comments:

  1. How wonderful! I’ve never visited and have always wanted to. What a treat! Did you watch the film, ‘The Dig’? We watched it recently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you can visit one day. Yes, I've seen the film, twice in fact. I read the book first and was pleased when I found out it was to be filmed. I may just watch it again:)

      Delete
  2. I must get there again..soon - silly not to with my years membership.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you can go soon whilst the weather is good for all the walks - that view across to Woodbridge is wonderful. I must admit we haven't used our membership cards very much this year but I'm glad we'd kept it going for this visit:)

      Delete
  3. We were in Suffolk a few years ago and unfortunately the site was closed. So pleased you were able to visit. I shall enjoy reading all about it. I loved watching the film. The Dig. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too loved the film and the book by John Preston. I'm afraid that your blog is one of those that I can't comment on at the moment. It was okay a few days ago but today I couldn't leave you a comment. Have loved all your daily posts through September:)

      Delete
    2. Hope the commenting sorts itself out quickly. I’ve noticed less comments lately, although fewer people seem to be blogging these days which is sad.

      Delete
  4. This place looks fascinating Rosie! I can just imagine the excitement of digging up an ancient ship! I bet the guide book is interesting too. Have a good weekend. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so interesting Simone. I'm pleased I bought the guide book as there is so much in it and only £5 so I thought it was good value. I'm afraid your blog is one of those I can't leave a comment on at the moment. I loved your little film of rag rug making, I left you a like on You tube:)

      Delete
    2. Hi Rosie! Comments on Blogger seems to be playing up a few people at the moment. Thank you for liking my rag rug making video! I'm just starting another rug. x

      Delete
    3. You made the process look simple and inviting to do. I remember my grandma's rag rugs and seeing her working on one on the kitchen table. Blogger is a nuisance at the moment:)

      Delete
  5. A wonderful post Rosie - so glad you finally made a visit. I must admit we would love to go too. I discovered that self catering apartment when I was researching places to stay in the area! I seem to remember it was quite expensive. Thanks for all the photos and I so look forward to seeing more.

    I've been having that problem with adding blogs to my side bar or removing them!!! for several months now - it really is a huge pain. So far not had any problems leaving comments as far as I know!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I should imagine that the accommodation would be quite expensive but it wouldn't it be great to stay on the site? I find making comments at the moment is impossible. I'm asked to log into google but that doesn't work so I try anonymous and type a comment only to be told that there was an error in publishing, it's happened on four different blogs I follow today - luckily I'm fine leaving a comment on your blog at the moment:)

      Delete
    2. Yes Rosie it would be rather special to stay there :) Self catering anywhere has gone up an awful lot since we last had a holiday away which was 2019. The cottage on Isle of Wight we usually stay in is about £300 more a week at least!!
      Blogger is a right pain atm.Touch wood I haven't yet had any problems leaving comments as far as I know. I ought to check more that where verification is involved they have been published in case they haven't got through. Your comment on mine came through fine as you say. I still can't add or remove from the blog list and save it.

      Delete
  6. I could be rude about BLOGGER at the moment, but will hold my tongue. I've tried commenting several times on both laptop & PC & sometimes comes up on the PC. I think Sutton Hoo must be very interesting and would love to visit. Thanks for sharing & look forward to more. Take care & hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been blogging since 2005 and never had these kind of problems before. I can't comment on your blog either Susan. I'll see if I can do it on another device as it may be my laptop although I find it hard to type on a tablet without a proper keypad. Sutton Hoo was wonderful, more coming soon:)

      Delete
  7. It's a great place to visit, I'm glad you managed to get there and have such a good time. It must have been so exciting for them as the discoveries came to light and that mask is just amazing. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is wonderful and I was pleased we finally managed to get there. Finding the boat and it's contents must have been incredible:)

      Delete
  8. I've been meaning to get there for years - decades probably! It looks as though I've missed a great deal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is lots to see there, it's beautiful down by the river, I think they have added lots of new things in the last few years to help with interpreting the site:)

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Thank you. Is that you Robert? Not sure:)

      Delete
  10. Your love of archaeology must have made your visit very special. I remember reading about Sutton Hoo and your photos are very interesting. Thank you for sharing, Linda P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a special visit. Glad you enjoyed the photos. I'm afraid your blog is one of those I can't comment on at the moment but I have been reading:)

      Delete
  11. I'd find this fascinating.

    Blogger continues to shunt real comments to spam even after they were published, which is why I check the spam folders daily. At present I'm behind in blog reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm having trouble commenting on several blogs at the moment, William yours in one of them. I'm struggling to keep up too:)

      Delete