Monday, December 24, 2018

A Christmas Past

It's Christmas Eve!


Shall we sit and have a mug of coffee and a mince pie whilst I tell you about the photo below? 

Recently I came across this photograph on the wonderfully named Magic Attic's facebook page.  I visited The Magic Attic in Swadlincote in Derbyshire a number of years ago to follow up some family history enquiries and to donate a manuscript that had been given to me about the history of the nearby village of Newhall.  When I first visited the archives were kept in an attic above a snooker club, hence its name.  It is now housed in the Sharpes Pottery Museum in Swadlincote town centre.  Apparently the photo above was taken from a Magic Lantern slide which was entitled 'Christmas'. It is dated 1911.  A little research had been done to find out who the people were in the photo and imagine my delight when it was found that they were part of my ancestry.  Not a direct line but the man in the photo above was the son of a younger brother of my great great grandfather.   I looked the family up on the 1911 Census and they lived at 59 James Street, Upper Midway which is on the outskirts of Swadlincote. The adults are William Gough, his wife Frances Davies Williams and the older lady to the right could be her mother Jane Williams.  The little girl is Muriel Williams Gough. What a delightful photo it is and Muriel has some lovely toys to play with. I have done further research into the Davies Williams family who seem to come from Monmouthshire and Shropshire but more of that another day.


This year we decided that we didn't want a sugary iced Christmas cake so have made a Dundee cake instead.  I say we as I weighed out the ingredients, washed the dried fruit and started creaming the butter and sugar but in the middle of mixing the ingredients got a phone call about one of our neighbours who is in hospital so Paul finished it, lined the tin and put it in the oven.  It took over four hours to cook.  I hope it tastes okay.  Paul, with his Yorkshire background, will eat a slice with a piece of cheese.



As I get older Christmas seems to me to be a time of reflection when we remember those we used to share it with and think of those less fortunate than us who may be lonely or ill or struggling through troubled times.


I'd like to wish everyone who visits me here a very Happy Christmas and to say thank you for your visits, wonderful comments and special blogging friendship throughout the year.


26 comments:

  1. What a wonderful photo to find and to realise it had family links. Wishing you a very happy Christmas. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was admiring the photo for a while before I read the text underneath. It was wonderful to see a family name there. Hope you had a lovely Christmas:)

      Delete
  2. Quite a history to that photo!

    Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is, thank you William, hope you had a lovely Christmas:)

      Delete
  3. What a super photo to discover and even better to find out some of the history and links to your family. It makes such a fascinating story and I hope you will share more of your further research in the new year.

    The cake looks lovely - my son would prefer if I made a Dundee Cake - perhaps next year :)

    Have a wonderful Christmas and thank you so much too for your special blogging friendship and book ideas - I hope next year I may be able to come up to Trentham Gardens again :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you RR, I have found quite a bit about the Williams family so may use it later, perhaps on my family history blog. The cake is delicious but I can only eat a sliver at a time as it is very rich. I think it will last for ages. Hope you had a wonderful Christmas. It will be lovely if you can visit Trentham next year. I nipped to the library the Saturday before Christmas and got a book by an author new to me set in Dungeness and the Kentish marshes and the first in a new series, I'm really enjoying it:)

      Delete
  4. The photo is so clear, it could have been taken yesterday. I hope that's not a real dog on the table!! Great research, how very exciting. Enjoy your delicious Christmas Dundee cake and let's hope 2019 is a good year. 🎄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karen - I'm sure it is a toy dog that little Muriel is hiding behind, lovely to see the teddy bear too. I was thrilled how clear the photo is and the detail in it. the Dundee cake will take ages to eat as it is very rich so only a small slice is needed:)

      Delete
  5. Wishing you and your family a very merry Christmas and a happy New Year xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lyn best wishes to you and yours too:)

      Delete
  6. Very Merry Christmas to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Christmas to you and Mac, Janet - hope you have good time:)

      Delete
  7. Thank you for your blog friendship and exchanges through comments over the last year and before that too. Your blogs are always so interesting and I look forward to more in the new year. Every blessing this Christmas season to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda I hope you have a joyous and peaceful Christmas with your family and that we will meet again in blogland in the new year:)

      Delete
  8. Happy Christmas Rosie! Such a wonderful blog post. I love that photo. The little girl is very fortunate to have such lovely toys. I bet that Dundee cake will taste wonderful with or without cheese. I hope you have enjoyed today - mine didn't turn out as expected but I made the most of it none-the-less. I look forward to more of your posts over the coming year. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simone, I hope that nothing too bad happened to change your plans the day what ever it was I'm glad you were able to make the most of things. thank you for being such a lovely blogging friend:)

      Delete
  9. Belated Christmas wishes to you & yours. I'm just on a quick catchup & agree with you about how a lot of reflection is in our thoughts too at this time of year. My late mother-in-law had her fruit cake with cheese, as Keith(DH) is from Leeds (51 years ago). Whoa, that's some time ago now. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan, at this time of year you do stop and wonder where all those years have gone. I'd never had fruit cake with cheese before I met Paul but quite enjoy it now. I first tried it in a Georgian Coffee House in York and it was delicious. Hope you had a wonderful Crhistmas:)

      Delete
  10. I hope you both had a lovely Christmas (and enjoyed the cake!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Louise, hope you and Dave had a lovely Christmas too. The cake is still with us and will be for some time I think as it is very rich and I can only manage a thin slice at a time:)

      Delete
  11. What a beautiful photo, Rosie, and so amazing to find that it is part of your own story. Like a gift from the universe. I hope you all had a lovely Christmas, I'm sure the cake was a great success, it looks delicious, with or without cheese.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amalia. the photo is wonderful isnt it? The cake is delicious but very rich so will take a long time to get through over the next week or two:)

      Delete
  12. What a lovely story about the photograph, fancy it being in your ancestry too, how exciting.
    Sending Christmas Blessings xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julie. Hope you had a lovely Christmas:)

      Delete
  13. I can't believe I've fallen so far behind! I had to comment because that photo is fabulous, what a find, and thank you so much for sharing its story with us. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mrs T, I loved the photo as soon as I saw it but it was wonderful when I saw the the name underneath it:)

      Delete