Wednesday, September 05, 2018

Kedleston Hall

On the last Tuesday in August  we visited Kedleston Hall in Derbyshire.  The last few times we had visited we'd gone just to take walks around the estate grounds.  We hadn't been in the house for ages so it was time to pop inside.

We arrived at about 11.30a.m. and as the house didn't open until noon we had a wander around the stables, the shop and the gardens first.  I was hoping to go in the church but it was closed.

I'd forgotten how huge and opulent all the rooms were although I did remember the marble pillars.  Walking around you can easily get a crick in your neck as you are continually looking upwards.

The rooms are stunning, with much marble, flocked wallpaper and the colours of turquoise and gold stand out as being the predominant colours of the day.

The exception was the music room which was a tad more homely.

The curved gallery contained portraits and family trees of the Curzon family who have lived at Kedleston for about 900 years.  The present house,  built in the mid 18th century, was commissioned by Sir Nathaniel Curzon.  Most of the building was designed by Robert Adam.

Above - the dining room no turquoise and gold here either.

Step next door into the bedroom and the opulence takes over again. The guide told us that behind where she was sitting was an en-suite bathroom built when it was hoped that King George V would visit.  He decided to go to nearby Chatsworth instead!

Back downstairs the museum contains many artifacts including those from the time when Sir Nathaniel's son George Nathaniel Curzon was made Viceroy of India.

In 1895 Lord Curzon married Mary, daughter of Levi Zeigler Leiter a Chicago millionaire.  Above is the famous peacock dress she wore for the Dehli Durbar in 1903.  Here is more information and better photos of the dress than I could take through the reflecting glass and low light levels.

Above - The Orangery which is apparently facing in the wrong direction as it faces due east and only sees the sun in the early morning.  In 1920 Lord Curzon wanted to formalise the garden and the Orangery was one of the buildings moved to what was considered a more appropriate place.


It is thought that the Hexagon Temple or Summer House built c1800 was moved at the same time.

The bridge at Kedleston was designed by Robert Adam was built in 1770/71 and is Grade I listed.

Above is a collage of just a few photos taken of the outside of All Saint's church.  It is a redundant Anglican church and like the bridge is Grade I listed.


I loved these quirky willow animals and chalk board signs.


I'm afraid there are no photos of any kitchen or servants quarters, usually my favourite parts of any historic house or home, as the cafe is within the Hall and sited in the kitchen.  There is a huge range and spit and shelves full of copper and pewter dishes, pans etc.  I didn't take any photos as the cafe was very busy, by the time we got there the quiche and salad was sold out so we had jacket potatoes with salad instead.  

Hydrangeas and Wisteria growing on the front of the stable block.

35 comments:

  1. I loved read your post about your visit to Kedleston Hall. I have never visited this amazing place but I am familiar with it since it is where Venetia Stanley Smith was born. Her mother was a Curzon and Venetia moved to Japan over 40 years ago. She is featured on her show, At Home With Venetia in Kyoto which is aired on NHK or PBS channels here in the US. A few years back, she shared via her show her visit back to Kedleston where she visited these same rooms that you have photographed. It's quite the amazing history. Her cousin now lives on the property in one of the adjoining wings of this magificent place. Thank you for sharing such a lovely post. Pat xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Pat, thank you for your comment about Venetia Stanley Smith. How fascinating, I had never heard of this lady so it was great to find out all about her. It does say in the on line guide that some of the family still live in part of the Hall:)

      Delete
    2. I have found this blog after watching the same episode of Venetia Stanley Smith's visit to her old home on nhk world. This is such a lovely post. Thank you.

      Delete
  2. Looks good.Lovely photos.My daughter in law’s parents live very close to Kedleston Hall in a place called Edlaston.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Barbara. There are some lovely villages in the area around Kedleston and I always enjoy the drive over there:)

      Delete
  3. I'm sure I went there many years ago, but for some reason don't remember much about it! One or two of the views in your pictures look familiar though. So thanks for re-familiarising me with such a grand place. I really must visit again if ever I'm up that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a good place to visit with lots of lovely walks as well as the house and gardens. It was ages since we had been inside the house:)

      Delete
  4. I love the turquoise room, it looks gorgeous! Lovely photos, i've not explored Derbyshire too much despite on it not being that far away, i've only been to Matlock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The turquoise with the gold was quite wonderful. I grew up not too far from Matlock and Matlock Bath was a regular Sunday afternoon visit. I'm fond of Derbyshire and would love to return to live there one day:)

      Delete
  5. I always like the kitchen best too. I can't imagine living in which opulence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I prefer the less oppulent of the Derbyshire Houses, Haddon is my favourite. I love the kitchens in these places as they wwere the heart and soul of the house:)

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thank you William. It is a lovely place:)

      Delete
  7. The exterior of the Hall looks like the home of Mr Darcy used in the Pride and Prejudice mini series starring Colin Firth, I’ll lay odds they used that estate as part of the filming locations. What a beautiful home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment Mary, it is a very grand and oppulent house and filming of TV shows has been done there but Mr Darcy's home, Pemberley, in the series you mention was Lyme Park, also a National Trust property. The house does look very similar:)

      Delete
  8. What a grand house, the rooms look huge. I followed the link to have a look at the beautiful peacock dress, it must have been so heavy to wear. How the other half live! 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you followed the link and the story of the conservtion of the dress. It is beautiful but as you say must have been very tiring to wear:)

      Delete
  9. What a beautiful house - both interior and exterior look very impressive. It is a place I would like to visit so it is especially good to see your lovely photos. I can just imagine Mr Darcy there too!!! :)

    I do love the willow animals. Such a shame the church was closed but I enjoyed the photos of the exterior :) A lovely post Rosie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I have been in the church before but could I find the photos I took? I was hoping to take some more but it wasn't possible, maybe next time we go for a walk in the grounds. I like the wolf or beasts heads around the door. those animals were lovely:)

      Delete
  10. And here is a link, to a picture, of Lady Mary, in the gorgeous dress... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ahhhhhh, an example of the ways of the times.... Daughters of American millionaires, toured the Continent, and often were married to a member of the (somewhat impoverished) aristocracy. Thus giving needed funds, to save these beautiful old mansions, and lands which went with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, I often wonder how happy some of them were, times were so different then especially in the world of the aristocracy:)

      Delete
  12. I've been sent postcards of Kedleston Hall by daughter-in-law after visits as it's nearer to where her family lives than where we do and so we've never been. I've enjoyed your photo tour. You did a good job of photographing that beautiful dress. I followed the link which was also interesting. Conserving and displaying the dress must be a challenge. I would enjoy seeing the grounds with the Robert Adam bridge, the Summer House and stable block.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda, perhaps you will visit one day. I always find the views to the bridge are lovely and the long walk around the house and back to the lake is wonderful especially in Autumn. The dress must have been very difficult to wear and to look after at the time let alone after 100 years. It is still stunning:)

      Delete
  13. So interesting & beautiful, I'm sure I'd love to visit if we ever had time whilst visiting UK. Thanks for sharing & take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan, it is a lovely place to visit with great walks on the estate too:)

      Delete
  14. What a bed! Great pictures you have captured of your visit. These old places are so lovely to wander around. I too like to look at the kitchens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julie. I think the kitchens are the heart of the house, aren't they? It's always so fascinating to see how things were done there through the ages:)

      Delete
  15. You do visit some wonderfully interesting places Rosie. It is nice to see how the 'other half' live isn't it? I don't think I could sleep in such a grand bed though. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Simone, it was a lovely birthday treat to visit. When we spoke to the volunteer the first thing I said to her was that I couldn't sleep in the bed and she agreed. I'd wonder what was behind the curtains if I drew them against the draft and cold:)

      Delete
  16. We went quite a few years ago but it was nice to return with you today. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lyn. We hadn't been in the house for ages so thought it was time for another visit:)

      Delete
  17. I can't believe I've fallen so far behind! Sorry. I was going to save my comments for the most recent post but once I'd hopped over to read more about the peacock dress I couldn't help myself. It's incredible but...green beetle wings!!!! Lord Curzon was a bit daft moving the orangery, wasn't he? I'm moving on now... x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a bit bizzare in both cases. Such a diifferent world then especially for the upper classes. Glad you enjoyed the links:)

      Delete